Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Western Part of America is the Least Racist Part of America
Agree 26 30.59%
Disagree 59 69.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:13 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times

Advertisements

Again, less racist, but, that doesn't mean not racist at all and there's still a good deal of work to do.

Several reasons why I feel it's true, such as 7 of the top 10 Metro Areas for Interracial Marriage being in the Mountain and Pacific Time zone and the Republican Leaning States in the West, like Utah, don't have stuff like Strict Voter ID laws, laws against minimum wage increases and other laws that disenfranchise visible minorities.

However this map, by the SPLC, that addresses hate groups, well, look at the glaring contrasts.

Yes, there are still a higher number than other states, in California, but when you consider it's population, the # of groups relative, to that #, (almost 40 million people) is low compared to Texas and Florida.

There's a reason why I live out here and this is one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
The Western Part of America is less racist than the Midwest, Northeast or South.-hatemap-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 03:03 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,063 times
Probably true in most cases, but in recent years the chances of getting killed for being black in the L.A. area by Mexicans were far greater than in the New Orleans area by non-black people.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 AM

822 posts, read 857,822 times
anywhere there are people there will be racism. The places on that map where there are no hate groups are also places where there are few people.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:56 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Again, less racist, but, that doesn't mean not racist at all and there's still a good deal of work to do.

Several reasons why I feel it's true, such as 7 of the top 10 Metro Areas for Interracial Marriage being in the Mountain and Pacific Time zone and the Republican Leaning States in the West, like Utah, don't have stuff like Strict Voter ID laws, laws against minimum wage increases and other laws that disenfranchise visible minorities.
Utah is 1.4% African American which means there are less than 52K Black people in the entire state. Which then means the entire state has less African Americans than a place like Kent County Michigan which is not at all known for it's diversity. If by your assertion strict voter ID laws are in fact racist(of which I think is a misguided assumption), there would be little to no cause to put them in place.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...n,UT/IPE120215

I don't at all think there's something special about the West. I think it's a convenience by default. The Great Migration took place from the 1920s-60s at a time when the west was 1/5th as populated as it is now. If the west was where industry was and the Midwest was unsettled this conversation would be happening in reverse.

As it stands 2 of the 3 worst race riots in history took place in California. Outside of that the west is noticeably lighter than the rest of the country when it comes to that key race division that the "race" debate tends to center around.

Last edited by mjlo; 08-15-2017 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 08:12 AM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
There's racism everywhere in the US. I've traveled all over the US and seen it. It seems to be more hidden in the west and more overt in the northeast.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
anywhere there are people there will be racism. The places on that map where there are no hate groups are also places where there are few people.
Exactly, it's about population density and not a lack of "hate".

Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
I think I agree with the statement in general. Of course there are racist people everywhere, but it seems like racism is more relevant in older cities. I grew up in Idaho which is supposedly some hotbed for racism but I really think that is unfair. People out west are either less racist or much less willing to talk about it.

In my experience Massachusetts is the most blatantly racist place I have ever been. I had a lady in a bar, a total stranger, tell to avoid an area of town because it was full of N word crime. Every time I visit Boston I encounter some blatantly racist strangers. It absolutely gets worse as you go into smaller town New England.

I had an acquaintance in college who was from St Louis who was what I guess you could call a casual racist. Interestingly enough he had more black friends than just about anyone I've ever known and who were all pretty racist against white people themselves.

As insensitive as some of the stuff that was said between that group they got along alot better than most of the awkward interactions I see between some black and white people regarding race.

Not that that makes any of it ok.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:21 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Oregon was founded as a white only state. The west just has a different kind of racism.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:33 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Oregon was founded as a white only state. The west just has a different kind of racism.
Portland's liberal image tempered by history as 'Skinhead City' - CNN

Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Disagree completely. The West has less entrenched segregation, but racial animus is well-documented across this country:

Quote:
At one point, Oregon boasted the highest per-capita membership in the Ku Klux Klan. For good measure, Oregon failed to ratify the 15th Amendment, allowing African-Americans the right to vote, until 1959; the state also didn’t formally ratify the 14th Amendment, allowing equal protection under the law, until 1973. “Oregon was a Klan state—it was as prejudiced as South Carolina, so there was very little difference other than geographic difference,” Otto Rutherford, one of the state’s leading civil rights activists, said. Despite its current trappings of progress and tolerance, mid-20th century Portland, according to Oregon Public Broadcasting, “was still considered the most segregated and prejudiced city on the West Coast.”
Want to Meet America

Quote:
"California has had a long history with regard to hate groups,” Levin said. “We’ve had Nazi low-riders, racist skinheads, and indeed, the Aryan Brotherhood started in the California penitentiaries in 1964.” But Levin says it’s not especially surprising that the state has served as a hotbed for hate groups, “in part due to its diversity and its large population.”
https://www.attn.com/stories/15067/w...ed-hate-groups
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.