Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:14 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Chicago. Never got a bite in the city, nor even saw one that I could recall. The suburbs and forested areas had a lot, though.
I remember when I moved here and was around the lakefront and all over the city that first summer I had a realization one day - where are all the mosquitoes!?!? They're all over the suburbs, but luckily in the city itself I don't know if I've ever really seen one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 11:07 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
This thread was started last year while I lived in Florida.
I have since moved to Phoenix, and mosquitoes do exist, but nothing close to living in the Tampa Bay Area. There, I couldn't go out past dusk because I would be attacked.
I have been in Phoenix for a year and love it here.
What I meant by culture, is theatre, museums, concerts, etc which Phoenix has a lot of.
My biggest problem with Florida I often forget mosquitoes are rampant there even in December at times. I've had it to where I went to the springs without mosquito spray me and my friends were jumping up and down all day in misery they would not let up for anything. This what rural Florida is like.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:27 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I remember when I moved here and was around the lakefront and all over the city that first summer I had a realization one day - where are all the mosquitoes!?!? They're all over the suburbs, but luckily in the city itself I don't know if I've ever really seen one.
Yeah, after the big Mosquito Flight of the 70s, they’re mostly scattered around the suburbs now. You may see a few here and there but they’ve been largely replaced by hipsters and yuppies which unfortunately aren’t any less annoying.

Sorry, I had to :P

Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I would think the cities in the desert southwest would have the least mosquitoes.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Every city has culture. Culture is not necessarily going to see the philharmonic orchestra or the ballet. Culture is also going to a little league game, one's religion or simply the way people live in an area because of the predominant weather. No place on this planet is devoid of culture.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

Tucson sits in a county with some of the least surface area of water in the whole country (it's like an acre or something I forgot) so that's a potential, but you have to be far from rural areas where cows and horses have standing water. In town might work.
Tucson doesn't have much, if any, mosquitos. But we had tons of beetles/roaches. I would turn on my garage light and watch them scatter. This was only for about 2-3 months of the year though.

Crickets, too.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:25 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
SF has very few. They cant afford the rent.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
I currently live in Florida and the mosquitoes all seem to bite me at all times of the year. I would have to go out in a net for them to not attack me. Yeah, it's my sweet blood.

I was wondering if a city exists in the US where there is culture, some sort of city life and amenities which is retirement friendly that has very little mosquitoes. I know places with a high altitude and dry climate would be an ideal place. New Mexico and AZ come to mind. I seek a place where the economy is thriving, has a low cost of living, and where the people are open minded. I tend to think no place like this exists. Am I correct?
I know that you can't have it all, but was wondering if any place comes close.
I live in Rio Rancho near Albuquerque NM and have not had a mosquito bite in the six years that I have lived here. I’m at about 5400 ft elevation and pretty much in a desert environment. I have a 1500 gallon goldfish pond with mosquito fish that eat any mosquito larvae that show themselves. It is s great place to retire but I would not suggest moving here without a job lined up if you are still working. The climate here is a nearly perfect four season climate and COL is reasonable and there is plenty to do. Back in the Midwest I was a tick magnet and I haven’t seen a tick since I moved here. Desert living isn’t for everyone but I love it.

Albuquerque’s elevation is a little higher than Denver but the Rio Grande and numerous acequias bring water into the areas near the river used for agricultural so there could be some mosquitoes in the valley.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:22 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Even here in Minneapolis (in a state that's completely covered in vast amounts of water and infamous for mosquitos), I've never really noticed any right in the city.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:42 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's bizarre. I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito around downtown Chicago. Of course, 30 miles out and it's mosquito hell in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.