U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 AM

336 posts, read 395,687 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Florida and the mosquitoes all seem to bite me at all times of the year. I would have to go out in a net for them to not attack me. Yeah, it's my sweet blood.

I was wondering if a city exists in the US where there is culture, some sort of city life and amenities which is retirement friendly that has very little mosquitoes. I know places with a high altitude and dry climate would be an ideal place. New Mexico and AZ come to mind. I seek a place where the economy is thriving, has a low cost of living, and where the people are open minded. I tend to think no place like this exists. Am I correct?
I know that you can't have it all, but was wondering if any place comes close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Both New Mexico and Arizona's larger cities have mosquitoes as it's not about the climate rather altitude and/or lack of standing water. You might check out the Boulder-Longmont CO area which while expensive in Boulder itself (a good bit less so in Longmont) has affordable suburban towns like Louisville, Lafayette, Niwot and Superior which all have generally a progressive population and thriving economies. All sit at elevations of 5000 feet or higher and it's pretty rare from my experiences to see any mosquito activity there.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:11 AM

3,077 posts, read 2,109,467 times
Colorado has plenty of mosquitoes at altitudes up to and exceeding 10,000 feet, so altitude is not the factor you think it is. Water, however, is a big factor and while Colorado is not a riparian environment, we do have enough water to promote mosquito growth nearly everywhere except the non-irrigated plains, high altitude parks, and above timberline peaks. All population centers tend to have available water for mosquito growth.

IIRC, California has extensive state government run mosquito eradication programs that cover nearly 80% of their populated areas to address the critters in the larvae stages so they never reach adulthood and become a nuisance. This would meet all your criteria except for low cost of living.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:02 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,761,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Colorado has plenty of mosquitoes at altitudes up to and exceeding 10,000 feet, so altitude is not the factor you think it is. Water, however, is a big factor and while Colorado is not a riparian environment, we do have enough water to promote mosquito growth nearly everywhere except the non-irrigated plains, high altitude parks, and above timberline peaks. All population centers tend to have available water for mosquito growth.

IIRC, California has extensive state government run mosquito eradication programs that cover nearly 80% of their populated areas to address the critters in the larvae stages so they never reach adulthood and become a nuisance. This would meet all your criteria except for low cost of living.
Rural parts of CA will fit your cost of living criteria though you'll find more mosquitoes there than in bigger cities so pick your poison.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:52 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Plenty of cities are pretty much devoid of mosquitoes in the city cores. All that concrete, asphalt, metal, and glass displaces things such as bushes and tall grass. Although standing water can exist in the concrete jungle (junked tires on the ground, empty tubs lying around, etc), the environment overall is much less hospitable to mosquitoes.

Close-in suburbs with small lots also are less likely to have many mosquitoes, for the same reason: More hard, dry materials and less absorbing, sheltering greenery.

You would be surprised where mosquitoes can live, outside of cities. I tried to camp on BLM land in southern WY. Just open grassy prairie, no ponds that I could see. And HORRRIBLE swarms of mosquitoes. I left ASAP.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Plenty of cities are pretty much devoid of mosquitoes in the city cores. All that concrete, asphalt, metal, and glass displaces things such as bushes and tall grass. Although standing water can exist in the concrete jungle (junked tires on the ground, empty tubs lying around, etc), the environment overall is much less hospitable to mosquitoes.

Close-in suburbs with small lots also are less likely to have many mosquitoes, for the same reason: More hard, dry materials and less absorbing, sheltering greenery.

You would be surprised where mosquitoes can live, outside of cities. I tried to camp on BLM land in southern WY. Just open grassy prairie, no ponds that I could see. And HORRRIBLE swarms of mosquitoes. I left ASAP.
Mosquitoes are actually some of the most populous in Alaska too, so the cold doesn't bug them. The North Slope is just an Arctic swamp so there's tons up there, in Fairbanks and Anchorage too.

Key is to avoid fresh water. So no lakes, no rivers, no ponds, no golf courses, no living near a park with a fountain, none of that.

Big city with no fresh water to supply its population? That's a joke. Good luck finding that. As long as humans need water we will be dealing with mosquitoes, it's a fact of life. Mosquitoes kill more humans on earth than any animal combined. They are the biggest (or maybe smallest?) predator of ours.

Now, there are ways to live that involve no mosquitoes whatsoever. A yacht in the middle of the Pacific would suffice. But that's not a big city.

Now, a big city that has the least amount of mosquitoes? In the US where there are ponds, and golf courses with lakes all over the southwest you can eliminate that. Some of the most dangerous mosquitoes come from the Sahara (aedes aegypti) so it's not like they don't like deserts.

Now are there deserts without large rivers like the Rio Grande, Colorado, or the Nile? Yes you can get far from those but you might run into a lake or pond.

I always imagined that Elko, NV would be one of the driest and least mosquito-infested city in our country. It's in the middle of no where in one of the driest deserts. But a big city with culture? I don't know about that.

Tucson sits in a county with some of the least surface area of water in the whole country (it's like an acre or something I forgot) so that's a potential, but you have to be far from rural areas where cows and horses have standing water. In town might work.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
There's only a handful of places on Earth with literally no mosquitoes, such as Iceland and some south Pacific islands. Mosquitoes are definitely present in every single U.S. state. There may be isolated places in high mountains and deserts without as many (and certainly you deal with them for a smaller portion of the year the colder it is) but I don't think you could avoid them totally in any major city.

I'd say that I haven't had any issues with mosquitoes where I have lived in adulthood, considering I go years without having a notable mosquito bite. But I'm pretty sure I'm just one of those people mosquitoes "don't like" so I'm probably not the best measure.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:48 PM

11,170 posts, read 22,361,018 times
I know that in my 16 years in Chicago I have never really seen any mosquitos, I have gotten maybe a handful of bites during that entire time when I was out laying on the bare grass (I'm assuming other little critters in the grass), but due to the lack of standing water in the city and that they try to control them - there really aren't any mosquitos to be heard of in the city. Suburbs of course, totally different situation.

I would guess it's the same in other larger urban cores.

I always forget about the lack of mosquitoes until I go back to Iowa or to a more rural area, then YIKES.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:49 PM

18,626 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I know that in my 16 years in Chicago I have never really seen any mosquitos, I have gotten maybe a handful of bites during that entire time when I was out laying on the bare grass (I'm assuming other little critters in the grass), but due to the lack of standing water in the city and that they try to control them - there really aren't any mosquitos to be heard of in the city. Suburbs of course, totally different situation.

I would guess it's the same in other larger urban cores.

I always forget about the lack of mosquitoes until I go back to Iowa or to a more rural area, then YIKES.
Count DC out. Mosquitoes are crazy out here in the Summer.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:04 PM

4,475 posts, read 2,659,202 times
I haven't had a mosquito bite in years in Seattle. Not sure if that's just living in the urban core though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or