U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City for a Weekend Getaway
Boise 6 66.67%
Denver 2 22.22%
Salt Lake City 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:53 AM

297 posts, read 161,463 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at booking a rather cheap weekend getaway in October and wanted to get info on what would be the best destination. I'm tossing up between the following three cities I've never been to:

Boise
Denver
Salt Lake

This would be a 2 day trip with the Mrs. and I and all are within a 2-3 hour flight from where. Where would you guys go? Looking for food/culture/entertainment options each city has to offer and anything additional information that would make for a good time!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:04 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,164,511 times
Boise is beautiful in October with the urban canopy of trees changing colors, it is warm, the downtown is vibrant and walkable and more intimate than the other two. Boise has a park like setting and there are plenty of areas in city limits to be outdoors and enjoy the weather and scenery. The other two cities do not have anything like the Boise River and its forest of cottonwoods that line the banks. You both could rent a bike from the bike share program and cycle the Boise River Greenbelt and there are several restaurants and even a winery tasting room along the river.

http://www.vogue.com/article/boise-i...d-travel-guide

http://www.winemag.com/2017/08/15/fa...cene-to-match/

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213791

Last edited by Syringaloid; 08-18-2017 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: links

Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 AM

297 posts, read 161,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan keno View Post
Neither one of them, in October most people have sense enough to getaway to somewhere relatively warmer in October - booming places like Naples, Bonita, Sarasota, Clearwater Beach, San diego.
I live in California, we get plenty of warmth and sunlight. Combine that with having taken a Summer Holiday to Mexico already this is why the choices aren't as glamorous as most people would consider for a Fall getaway. Also, I can get two round trip tickets for $400.

Syringaloid--Thanks for the insight, I was leaning towards SLC for some reason but have no real rhyme or reason as to why. I'll keep Boise in mind!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:25 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,164,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsaeed View Post
I live in California, we get plenty of warmth and sunlight. Combine that with having taken a Summer Holiday to Mexico already this is why the choices aren't as glamorous as most people would consider for a Fall getaway. Also, I can get two round trip tickets for $400.

Syringaloid--Thanks for the insight, I was leaning towards SLC for some reason but have no real rhyme or reason as to why. I'll keep Boise in mind!
I think you would enjoy Boise more. Downtown SLC isn't as walkable and is dominated by a mall where as Boise has great street level engagement and is much more organic. I used to live in SLC and can say that Boise has a more impressive canopy of trees and has more color in the Fall.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:30 AM

2,868 posts, read 1,323,359 times
I think Boise has a better downtown than SLC and a more scenic one than downtown Denver, especially in the fall. The Greenbelt is really awesome in the fall.

I like SLC and Denver as well, and they are both larger metros feel larger and more urban, but Boise really does do street level very well in a smaller downtown and paring that with the greenbelt and parks It's hard to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or