U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 3,823 times

Advertisements

So what city has the most urban areas, not like high tech stuff like in manhattan? I like the old style urban buildings. I don't like the suburbs and I want to live in a big urban area. I don't know much about the US, I've just been in one city my whole life. Also I'm looking for a cold city too, I hate the heat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:48 AM

3,837 posts, read 1,419,464 times
Urbana.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 AM

12,446 posts, read 11,948,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234567891011 View Post
So what city has the most urban areas, not like high tech stuff like in manhattan? I like the old style urban buildings. I don't like the suburbs and I want to live in a big urban area. I don't know much about the US, I've just been in one city my whole life. Also I'm looking for a cold city too, I hate the heat.
I think the largest expanse of old-style urbanity by far in the U.S. (if you discount NYC) is Philadelphia. That said, it can get pretty damn hot and humid in the summer time. If Philly is too hot for you, you might want to consider Chicago. The residential areas areas are not as universally urban, but it's still plenty dense.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 2,257 times
Boston is very old and urban, and it gets pretty cold. And the temps were pretty mild every time I was there, even during the height of summer.

New York is perhaps the most quintessential "urban" city in America. It's definitely the poster child for urban, to the point that most New Yorkers don't bother learning to drive since having a car within the city can be very difficult and expensive logistically. Los Angeles is the anti-New York in that respect, that city hosts something like three cars for every licensed driver, and everyone drives, nobody walks in L.A. As for the weather, the summers can be pretty hot in NYC.

Chicago can also get pretty hot in the summer, and it can have very bitter winters with winds coming off of Lake Michigan.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:39 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,358,077 times
Dense, walkable, old-school city where it doesn't get to hot: Boston, Chicago, San Francisco. All laid out pre-auto in the 19th century (at the latest) and still retain much of the architecture of the times. Portland and Seattle may also fill the bill, but I don't know the neighborhoods in those cities well at all. NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC would fit the bill except for their very hot and sticky summers--and Chicago is actually borderline in that respect.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Dense, walkable, old-school city where it doesn't get to hot: Boston, Chicago, San Francisco. All laid out pre-auto in the 19th century (at the latest) and still retain much of the architecture of the times. Portland and Seattle may also fill the bill, but I don't know the neighborhoods in those cities well at all. NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC would fit the bill except for their very hot and sticky summers--and Chicago is actually borderline in that respect.
Is minneapolis like that (by that I mean urban)? Or is it just a huge suburb?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:31 PM

429 posts, read 318,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234567891011 View Post
Is minneapolis like that (by that I mean urban)? Or is it just a huge suburb?
Minneapolis has some urban areas and by American standards is relatively urban, but it's still largely single family home zones and the urban fabric isn't very consistent.

Given what you're asking for Id say Boston or Philadelphia are your best bets. Quebec City in Canada would also be a good fit if you're ok with a mid-size city in Canada

Old 08-22-2017, 08:36 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,325,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
Minneapolis has some urban areas and by American standards is relatively urban, but it's still largely single family home zones and the urban fabric isn't very consistent.

Given what you're asking for Id say Boston or Philadelphia are your best bets. Quebec City in Canada would also be a good fit if you're ok with a mid-size city in Canada
Agree. Minneapolis is great (I live here and love it) but if your standard was to find the most urban city in the US (outside of NYC) then Minneapolis wouldn't top that list (or crack the top-ten, for that matter). If there are other amenities that you seek that are important to your living choice, then perhaps add those as well.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:39 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,441,436 times
Well if you hate the heat and want an urban city SF has the best combo for that, only like 2-3 days a year are above 90. Most days year round are 50's and 60's for highs. Not sure what you consider "cold" but the temp rarely drops below 40 even in winter. Sf has the coldest summers of any major US city and AC is very rare in homes and a lot of businesses.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Agree. Minneapolis is great (I live here and love it) but if your standard was to find the most urban city in the US (outside of NYC) then Minneapolis wouldn't top that list (or crack the top-ten, for that matter). If there are other amenities that you seek that are important to your living choice, then perhaps add those as well.
Well if NYC is the best city for what I'm looking for, what areas of NYC would be the best? And doesn't NYC cost a ****load to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or