U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:58 PM

1,256 posts, read 544,184 times

Advertisements

Michigan's Upper Peninsula...Lake Superior, Porcupine Mountains, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Marquette???
Traverse City, Mi
Montana
Upstate New York ... Adirondack, Lake Placid area? Gorgeous.
Maine

(I'm a native Michigander, hoping to get back soon!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 02:58 PM

416 posts, read 249,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Western Michigan around Grand Rapids or along the Lake Michigan coast is almost exactly what you described. It is lushly green with very beautiful, temperate summers, the proximity to the lake and rural areas provides lots of activities without being too close to a large city, and everyone I know who ever visits any of the coastal tourist towns falls in love and wants to move there. Western Michigan is strongly Christian too, a lot of Dutch Reformed but also other denominations. And if you ever do need to visit a large city, Chicago isn't all that far away and it offers every amenity of any very large city.
This is a great suggestion, depending on how much the humidity matters to the OP. Michigan can get humid but not SouthEast levels of humid. It's going to be tough to get both lush greenery and low humidity, they kind of go together.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:01 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,438,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Michigan's Upper Peninsula...Lake Superior, Porcupine Mountains, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Marquette???
Traverse City, Mi
Montana
Upstate New York ... Adirondack, Lake Placid area? Gorgeous.
Maine

(I'm a native Michigander, hoping to get back soon!)
I don't blame you a bit! I'm not a Michigan native but I've lived here for twenty years now and there's nowhere I would rather be.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:23 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,815,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Seriously, I think you'd be surprised at Salt Lake City. I wouldn't suggest that a non-LDS couple consider moving to some areas in Utah, but Salt Lake City is really not what you might think. Instead of just picking up what you can about it on the General US forum, why don't you start a new thread over on the Salt Lake City forum and see what kinds of comments you get. One non-LDS couple from California is now in the process of moving here (see My Visit to Utah and why we ARE moving to SLC!), and quite a number of the posters on that forum are non-LDS transplants to the area. If you like the outdoors, four distinct seasons, low humidity and lots and lots of mountains, it may very well be the perfect place for you.
I honestly.like this suggestion. Salt Lake has four seasons but it can get pretty hot (triple digits) in the summer at times.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:38 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,161,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I honestly.like this suggestion. Salt Lake has four seasons but it can get pretty hot (triple digits) in the summer at times.
OP has ruled Colorado out because they want "lush greenness" which also rules out Utah.
In the west, outside of the coastal regions of Washington, Oregon, and Northern California, the best choice for a green landscape is Idaho, especially the north part of the state. Idaho is the most forested of the inland western states.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:44 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,156,722 times
The sad thing is, whatever locations get highlighted as "the ideal place" will either have some fine print attached to them, and/or will soon by swamped by hoards of transplants and negatively changed.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:00 PM

994 posts, read 600,318 times
Instantly thought of Idaho and Western Michigan as well.

Seems to be the two that make the most sense. OP, do your research on these two places. While they both fit your criteria, they are VERY different from each other.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 PM

1,256 posts, read 544,184 times
How could I have forgotten the White Mountains of New Hampshire?!

We visited Lake Winnipesaukee (from What About Bob) ... spectacular.
We drove all the way to Maine. Spent a week in Plymouth near Holderness Prep School.
Visited Squam Lake (On Golden Pond).

New Hampshire is unsurpassed in beauty. Lush trees, plenty of rivers, streams, hiking, and snow.

Considered #1 for quality of life / happiness in the US.

New England runs predominantly blue, but so does Michigan. There are LOTS of churches in Michigan. You don't state a denomination. Lots of Catholics, Lutherans and Methodists in both Michigan and New Hampshire. We are Baptist and were actually visiting New Hampshire for a Missions Conference my husband was preaching at...he is a pastor.

Last edited by SouthernProper; 08-23-2017 at 04:54 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 AM

21,977 posts, read 22,162,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Yeah, we have an average of six days each summer over 100. Other than that, it's not generally too awfully bad. Not humid at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or