U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 2,257 times

Advertisements

So we’re having the darnedest time trying to find our little slice of Heaven on Earth, so we’re looking for suggestions. Granted, nowhere is perfect or then it actually would be Heaven, but somewhere out there has to be close. Here’s the criteria – where is this place?

CLIMATE

We’re wanting someplace with mild summers. We’ve lived in the South way too long and the heat and humidity are unbearable. The less it cracks 70 degrees, the better. And it doesn’t have to be sunny all the time – in fact, my wife deals with a sun allergy.

On the other hand, it’s not winter unless it snows. Don’t really care how much, provided it’s not a bizarre anomaly when it does. We’ve drooled over the Pacific Northwest for the longest time, but the rarity of a snowflake along the coastal areas makes it less appealing. It’s not that we ski or go sledding, we just find it pretty to look at.

LANDSCAPE

We love mountains. We love water. And we love trees. States like Colorado could be a winner, except every photo I’ve seen of that part of the country is remarkably devoid of trees. Bonus points for lush greenness.

SIZE & RELATIVITY TO CIVILIZATION

Not a huge fan of big cities. We live just outside of Memphis, and dread having to go downtown – and we realize that a lot of places are even bigger than this. Don’t need the crowds, or the traffic, or the attitudes. Not to mention, we’re dog lovers and want a place where we can have a yard big enough for our furry, four-legged children to run and play without having to hire a dog-walker.

But on the other hand, we don’t want to be so remote, we’re cut off from modern civilization. We do like the idea of the supermarket, Walmart, Starbucks, our favorite pizza or burger chain, etc., being only a few minutes away. We like to be able to choose – Walmart or Target this time, Pizza Hut or Domino’s, etc. We want to be able to get a cell signal. We don’t want our location to determine what sort of cars we own, i.e., maybe we don’t want to own an SUV because it’s a requirement to get anywhere worth being. And we need to be somewhere that getting to a hospital doesn’t necessarily require a helicopter.

POLITICS & RELIGION

We’re pretty centrist politically, and not very tolerant of wingnuts. San Francisco gets great marks for climate, not so much for the wingnut population. We’re devout Christians, so a nice variety of church options is nice. Not sure we want to be in Utah since we aren’t LDS, that sort of thing.

I think that covers it. So what do you think – does this place exist on the North American continent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 09:50 AM

11,897 posts, read 32,942,782 times
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

From Wikipedia:

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 2,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

From Wikipedia:
Except for the temps peaking just a tad higher than ideal, I'm liking the looks. Good call!

Old 08-21-2017, 01:09 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,530,071 times
http://www.ci.enumclaw.wa.us

Enumclaw, WA could be a fit. It only has 2 months a year that the average high temps are above 70 (and they are 72, 74). Mountains, trees, and water are all in close proximity. It's a smaller town, around 10K population, pretty affordable and still only about an hour(ish) from Seattle. Mountain views & trees surrounding the town!

Check it out!

Old 08-21-2017, 01:33 PM

2,648 posts, read 4,829,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolefan32 View Post
CLIMATE

We’re wanting someplace with mild summers. We’ve lived in the South way too long and the heat and humidity are unbearable. The less it cracks 70 degrees, the better. And it doesn’t have to be sunny all the time – in fact, my wife deals with a sun allergy.

LANDSCAPE

We love mountains. We love water.
How about Boone,NC? The elevation of 3300 ft keeps the summers moderate and there is plenty of snow.

"Summers are warm, but far cooler and less humid than lower regions to the south and east, with a July daily average temperature of 68.5 °F (20.3 °C).[11] Boone typically receives on average nearly 35 inches (89 cm) of snowfall annually, far higher than the lowland areas in the rest of North Carolina."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boone,_North_Carolina

https://www.google.com/search?q=boon...w=1366&bih=609

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv8bCN87Hco

Old 08-21-2017, 08:47 PM

21,970 posts, read 22,145,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolefan32 View Post
POLITICS & RELIGION

We’re pretty centrist politically, and not very tolerant of wingnuts. San Francisco gets great marks for climate, not so much for the wingnut population. We’re devout Christians, so a nice variety of church options is nice. Not sure we want to be in Utah since we aren’t LDS, that sort of thing.

I think that covers it. So what do you think – does this place exist on the North American continent?
Seriously, I think you'd be surprised at Salt Lake City. I wouldn't suggest that a non-LDS couple consider moving to some areas in Utah, but Salt Lake City is really not what you might think. Instead of just picking up what you can about it on the General US forum, why don't you start a new thread over on the Salt Lake City forum and see what kinds of comments you get. One non-LDS couple from California is now in the process of moving here (see My Visit to Utah and why we ARE moving to SLC!), and quite a number of the posters on that forum are non-LDS transplants to the area. If you like the outdoors, four distinct seasons, low humidity and lots and lots of mountains, it may very well be the perfect place for you.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:39 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,887,916 times
There are few places in the U.S. with summer temperatures not cracking 70 degrees often, with hot weather sometimes hitting even the Pacific Northwest.

https://weather.com/forecast/regiona...ly-august-2017

For mountains, perhaps consider southwestern PA, perhaps a suburb of Pittsburgh.

Lake effects | GreenCityBlueLake | Sustainability in Northeast Ohio at The Cleveland Museum of Natural History

Have you ever lived in the mountains? It wouldn't be my first choice. E.g., shorter days in the shadows of mountains, many transportation barriers, steep inclines, and even forests can be oppressive if you've never lived in them.

I have friends who even found leaf peeping trips to New England depressing.

Personally, I enjoy the Appalachian foothill areas of Ohio, especially when within a reasonable distance for day trips to enjoy the great urban amenities of Greater Cleveland, or a Lake Erie beach. The mountains are only two hours away for a weekend trip (Allegheny National Forest), and ditto for downhill skiing (Peek 'n Peak). I'm not bothered by 80 inches of snow or a couple blizzards annually. Cloud cover may be a greater concern for many persons moving to the Great Lakes region. Check out cloud cover and other weather concerns at this website for any location under consideration. Note the monthly reports available in the right margin.

https://weatherspark.com/y/19773/Ave...-United-States

Snowfalls and winters in general in Ohio have significantly declined in magnitude in recent decades with global warming. See post 14 here:

Compendium of threads & posts on Univ. Circle, Cleveland Hts., Shaker Ht., Univ. Hts., Beachwood area

Idaho may fit your bill, but check out the social conditions of communities, such as if there are a preponderance of Mormons, etc., to see if you would be compatible.

Colorado has trees, but, as in much of the West, they are increasingly endangered by pine beetles and forest fires. The relative paucity of rainfall doesn't provide for the green environment enjoyed by many in the East.

Bark Beetles Are Decimating Our Forests. That Might Actually Be a Good Thing. – Mother Jones

Last edited by WRnative; 08-21-2017 at 09:49 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 03:09 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,434,076 times
Western Michigan around Grand Rapids or along the Lake Michigan coast is almost exactly what you described. It is lushly green with very beautiful, temperate summers, the proximity to the lake and rural areas provides lots of activities without being too close to a large city, and everyone I know who ever visits any of the coastal tourist towns falls in love and wants to move there. Western Michigan is strongly Christian too, a lot of Dutch Reformed but also other denominations. And if you ever do need to visit a large city, Chicago isn't all that far away and it offers every amenity of any very large city.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,746,208 times
Concur with Coeur d'Alene. Or nearby Spokane.

Or maybe some college town in the upper Midwest.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,450,303 times
Before I read the other answers, I'm going to say Coeur d'Alene, ID, but you will have a decent amount of red wingnuts.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Before I read the other answers, I'm going to say Coeur d'Alene, ID, but you will have a decent amount of red wingnuts.
And, I'm quite happy that I was number 3 in mentioning it....justifies the recommendation IMO.

And I'll mention, that the 80's/90's Coeur d'Alene gets in the summer will feel nothing like 80's/90's in Memphis, as what you call "humidity" by comparison...doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or