U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:02 PM

6 posts, read 6,301 times

Advertisements

I have travelled the States extensively, and the answer is nowhere that I have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 03:15 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,812,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
As we all know, there are many places in U.S. where Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Italian, Greek and other languages are spoken.
So I'm wondering, is there any town/neighborhood in the U.S. where Brits are the majority of population and British English is most commonly spoken language?

Cheers!
Go to Maine. I swear they all sound like they're from Somerset there

Old 10-02-2009, 05:25 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,977,074 times
My Grandpa was conceived in England (Norwich) and Great-Grandma was PG with him (7 months)when they came over on the boat to America (1886). I found this out from many years of genealogy. Anyway, as I kid I always thought he talked funny (raised by British born parents in NYC) and he used to call America "the colonies". I did not know anyone who spoke like him in NY when I was a kid.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,157,976 times
Other than the enclave mentioned above, in FL, no.

Although, what is cool is that we Americans are, in general, a living museum of the 17th century English spoken by country folk in the Midlands. LOL!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:20 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,391,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think the old upper-class Connecticut and Massachusetts accents, like the one associated to Katherine Hepburn, is sometimes seen as a tad British. I think it might've even been an intentional attempt by educated Brahmins to sound British. However I believe that accent is in decline. They did have a video of it on that connected to that youtube deal.

YouTube - Boston Brahmin
Well I don't think they tried to sound British. After all, blue collar accents in the Northeast like the typical Boston and NY accents are still non-rhotic.

The thing is the British-sounding, non-rhotic, upper class accent from the NE was the standard educated accent in the US up to WWII. But after WWII, Midwestern accent (what we know call "neutral" American accent) took over as the neutral educated accent, so the upper classes in the NE increasingly tended to adopt it and the non-rhotic accnets were relegated to the blue-collar populations of cities like Boston or NYC.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:11 PM

112 posts, read 126,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
The closest true English accent to that of the people of Tangier Island is undoubtably "Cornish" from the County of Cornwall on the furthest westerley point of southern England.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:56 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,539,742 times
There's also a British type accent from the outer banks of North Carolina called the Ocracoke Brogue. It's called one of the last relatives of Elizabethian English.

Ocracoke Brogue excerpt - YouTube

Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 AM

112 posts, read 126,675 times
This particular US/English accent has a definate Somerset slant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.