U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:01 PM

5,223 posts, read 3,635,618 times

Advertisements

Louisiana, just because.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 09:46 PM

1,014 posts, read 641,403 times
Remember, the archetypal American is an old-stock WASP. Perhaps it's the native New Englander in me, but at any mention of old-stock WASP's, I think of Vermont.

Given current demographic trends in America, it is likely that the population of Vermont -- not that of Louisiana nor New Mexico -- will become the most unique, despite the fact that, for centuries, Vermonters were, by and large, the default American.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 PM

706 posts, read 513,553 times
Good points here. I have family that spent time in Louisiana; The culture that rubbed off onto them was certainly...unique. I'd have to echo what everyone else is saying: Louisiana and New Mexico.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:34 AM

1,593 posts, read 833,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Remember, the archetypal American is an old-stock WASP. Perhaps it's the native New Englander in me, but at any mention of old-stock WASP's, I think of Vermont.

Given current demographic trends in America, it is likely that the population of Vermont -- not that of Louisiana nor New Mexico -- will become the most unique, despite the fact that, for centuries, Vermonters were, by and large, the default American.
to be fair I think Vermont is 25% French Canadian. And since its New England I assume there is a large Irish/Italaian population.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:56 AM

44,768 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Old 08-23-2017, 07:45 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,716,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
to be fair I think Vermont is 25% French Canadian. And since its New England I assume there is a large Irish/Italaian population.
Other than the marble and granite quarries, Vermont largely missed out on first-wave industrialization.

I'd be surprised if there weren't more French-Canadian ancestry folks there from late 20th/early 21st century vacationland relocation from other parts of New England, than from 19th/early 20th century industrial migration.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:49 AM

6,315 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To a certain extent, all three of these states have attributes that make them unique among the 50. But Vermont has enough similarities to New Hampshire, and even to the eastern part of upstate New York, that I wouldn't pick that one. New Mexico bears some similarity to Arizona, in terms of topography and climate and even culture, to an extent. So I suppose I'd have to say Louisiana.
I was thinking the same. LA for me!

Old 08-23-2017, 09:43 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,143,556 times
The choice mostly depends on where one is from. If someone is from the northeast for example, they probably will pick Louisiana or NM. If someone's from Arizona, they'll probably pick Vermont or Louisiana. If someone's from Mississippi, they'll pick New Mexico or AZ. Without more specific criteria, we're trying to hit a moving target

Old 08-23-2017, 11:35 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,716,682 times
Vermont and West Virginia are sort of rural distillates of portions of neighboring states.

Louisiana is certainly unique legally, without a state common law.

New Mexico's and Hawai'i's uniqueness in USA comes from being continuous recognized isolated polities for centuries before USA was created.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:58 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To a certain extent, all three of these states have attributes that make them unique among the 50. But Vermont has enough similarities to New Hampshire, and even to the eastern part of upstate New York, that I wouldn't pick that one. New Mexico bears some similarity to Arizona, in terms of topography and climate and even culture, to an extent. So I suppose I'd have to say Louisiana.
As if Louisiana doesn't share a climate and topography of majority of the Southeast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.