U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:12 PM

57 posts, read 54,671 times

Advertisements

Louisiana of those three. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan would be a Midwestern counterpart of those three if it was its own state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 03:40 PM

352 posts, read 294,922 times
Louisiana for sure. Just looking at New Orleans, there are very few places that unique in the states. New Mexico and Vermont aren't unique at all compared to their neighbors.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:40 PM

6,487 posts, read 4,759,429 times
I once lived in New Mexico, there's a reason it's called " The Land Of Enchantment."

Old 08-23-2017, 08:29 PM

706 posts, read 518,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Louisiana for sure. Just looking at New Orleans, there are very few places that unique in the states. New Mexico and Vermont aren't unique at all compared to their neighbors.
New Mexico is a pretty big state. The parts nearest the state-lines do indeed resemble the states they border, but I like to think that's part of what makes NM unique. After all, it is the "Crossroads of the Southwest". Plains in the east, canyon lands in the west, Rockies in the north, the desert in the south, and a decidedly unique geologic rift slicing down the middle more or less.

I do, however, agree with you about New Orleans. It's a city that shouldn't exist, but does and will exist. And they do it in style!

The OP (or a Mod, possibly) should add a poll to this.

Last edited by kehkou; 08-23-2017 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 AM

46 posts, read 19,882 times
I would say LA with NM a close second. LA has it's own cuisine, languages & accents, parishes, civil law vs common law, history, architecture, and traditions that no other state has with maybe a few exceptions of neighboring cities (but not the entire state). Even the ethnicity and religion in south LA is completely different than the rest of the south.

NM has the most history and is also very unique as well but the nuances of it are probably not as well known vs LA (New Orleans).

Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 AM

6,799 posts, read 3,765,389 times
New Mexico is quite unique because:
-- it is largely volcanic in nature, geologically;
-- has a very compatible mix of the three main cultures;
-- is preserving it's history and native languages and culture;
-- has a Spanish history going back to the 1540s (50 years after Columbus);
-- was the site of the only successful Indian uprising to expel Europeans (1680);
-- has two of the longest occupied places in the US (Acoma and Taos pueblos);
-- has a mix of high desert and forested mountains;
-- has a pleasant four-season climate;
-- has a unique form of architecture;
-- has a regional cuisine developed out of the Indian, Spanish and Anglo cultures;
-- has an official state question..."Red or green?"
-- is the 5th largest state but with only 2 million residents;
-- is often confused with the other Mexico but is in the USA (says so on the license plates).

Old 08-25-2017, 12:40 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,164,645 times
That's a hard choice, you picked three states that are rare in that they still have uniqueness. New Orleans has a very unique culture. NM too with the Adobe buildings and native and Spanish influence. And VT which has some of the most quaint New England villages and unspoiled green mountain scenery. I can't even rank these they are all such cool places!

Old 08-25-2017, 11:27 AM

15,602 posts, read 17,871,728 times
New Mexico.

I once stayed in one of the Pueblos (a Puebloan reservation consisting of a small village of adobe structures) overnight during a 'feast day' which is basically an indigenous holiday. I was the guest of my friend's gf's family. Although the pueblo was only a couple miles off the highway, the nearest small town is over a dozen miles away and you feel really remote out there even during the day.

During the day there were a lot of tourists watching the dances and stuff. After the sun went down and the tourists left, a lot of really weird stuff went down. The real rituals begin after the moon rises. Bizarre characters in freakish masks and costumes whipping random people, actual blood, baskets of snakes released in the main square, naked people running around ululating while waving fiery torches, plenty of shrieking and screaming. It's all in good fun, but the kids and few outsiders like myself don't know that.

Multiply that by over a dozen pueblos and dozens of feast days and it is safe to say that New Mexico has a cultural weirdness going on that most people can't even begin to conceptualize. And those are just the regular pueblos. I have heard that the Hopi and Zuni are even weirder.

Then there are the Penitentes, a bizarre Catholic cult holdover from the Spanish middle ages that has remained unnoticed in the remote mountains of northern New Mexico, whose members reenact gruesome torture scenarios from the bible, including "mock" crucifications where they actually crucify a guy, but let him down before he dies. Makes Mardi Gras look like Disneyland.

Then there are the Matchines dances which are performed by Catholicized Indians in small villages and Pueblos all around, with a blend of indigenous and Catholic imagery.

I dunno. Yeah, I really think New Mexico has a lot of weirdness spread around.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:28 PM

204 posts, read 164,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Vermont, Louisiana, New Mexico. Which one would you say is the most "unique" in terms of culture and overall feel?
Louisiana. You cannot beat New Orleans or the Cajun culture with a stick!

Both New Orleans and the Cajun culture, plus the overall Southern culture dominating the state makes it very unique. Vermont is too similar to other back country New England states, and New Mexico, while unique in its own right, shares more similarities to Midwestern, Mountain Western, and Mexican states than in and of itself having a unique Southwestern culture, with the only exception being the Native American Culture. But Neither Vermont nor New Mexico have the unique cultural diffusion between African, Native American, European, and Caribbean culture that is New Orleans.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:39 PM

17,823 posts, read 4,179,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
Louisiana. You cannot beat New Orleans or the Cajun culture with a stick!

Both New Orleans and the Cajun culture, plus the overall Southern culture dominating the state makes it very unique. Vermont is too similar to other back country New England states, and New Mexico, while unique in its own right, shares more similarities to Midwestern, Mountain Western, and Mexican states than in and of itself having a unique Southwestern culture, with the only exception being the Native American Culture. But Neither Vermont nor New Mexico have the unique cultural diffusion between African, Native American, European, and Caribbean culture that is New Orleans.
how is New Mexico like the Midwest?I am just wondering what you are trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.