U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 04:20 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
Louisiana. You cannot beat New Orleans or the Cajun culture with a stick!

Both New Orleans and the Cajun culture, plus the overall Southern culture dominating the state makes it very unique. Vermont is too similar to other back country New England states, and New Mexico, while unique in its own right, shares more similarities to Midwestern, Mountain Western, and Mexican states than in and of itself having a unique Southwestern culture, with the only exception being the Native American Culture. But Neither Vermont nor New Mexico have the unique cultural diffusion between African, Native American, European, and Caribbean culture that is New Orleans.
New Orleans has similar ties to the Caribbean, West Africa, and Europe though, although with a much more blended culture. It's obvious in our food and cultural traditions like Carnival and Voodoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 04:24 PM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,492,065 times
Quote:

Both New Orleans and the Cajun culture, plus the overall Southern culture dominating the state makes it very unique. Vermont is too similar to other back country New England states, and New Mexico, while unique in its own right, shares more similarities to Midwestern, Mountain Western, and Mexican states than in and of itself having a unique Southwestern culture, with the only exception being the Native American Culture. But Neither Vermont nor New Mexico have the unique cultural diffusion between African, Native American, European, and Caribbean culture that is New Orleans.
New Orleans and parts of southern Louisiana are unique but not the entire state,
northern Louisiana...like Shreveport, aren't any different than other places in the south.

New Mexico wins this for me.

Abobe architecture, spanish-indian-anglo cultural mix.

Even unique New Mexican cuisine with it's red and green chili's.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:41 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
New Orleans and parts of southern Louisiana are unique but not the entire state,
northern Louisiana...like Shreveport, aren't any different than other places in the south.

New Mexico wins this for me.

Abobe architecture, spanish-indian-anglo cultural mix.

Even unique New Mexican cuisine with it's red and green chili's.
This is what I thought as well.

As an Arizonan who's been to New Mexico a couple times I can see the differences right off the bat. New Mexico does feel close to "home" but there are many differences. New Mexican culture seems to be prevalent throughout the whole state, from Cruces to Santa Fe.

I've been through a majority of Louisiana, and while New Orleans is a very unique place (and my favorite city in the country) New Orleanian culture did not seem to reflect in the rest of the state.

Now if Louisiana was just like New Orleans I'd feel differently but there is no other state (not even other desert states) quite like New Mexico.

I've never been to Vermont so I don't know.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:02 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This is what I thought as well.

As an Arizonan who's been to New Mexico a couple times I can see the differences right off the bat. New Mexico does feel close to "home" but there are many differences. New Mexican culture seems to be prevalent throughout the whole state, from Cruces to Santa Fe.

I've been through a majority of Louisiana, and while New Orleans is a very unique place (and my favorite city in the country) New Orleanian culture did not seem to reflect in the rest of the state.

Now if Louisiana was just like New Orleans I'd feel differently but there is no other state (not even other desert states) quite like New Mexico.

I've never been to Vermont so I don't know.
Well remember that Cajun culture is spread throughout the entire I-10 corridor besides the south shore of metro Nola and the Houma and Thidodeaux areas. The majority of the population of either in Creole country or Cajun country. Cajun culture stops at Opelousas.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:00 PM

706 posts, read 513,054 times
Quote:

In NM it is more like a mix of Spanish, Pueblo, Navajo, Midwestern and Mexican cultures. It has its own unique cuisine, even a unique dialect of Spanish.

Since LA also has a unique dialect of French, and a unique cuisine, I'd say NM and LA are on even footing in the cultural department.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:21 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
LA or NM. I'd give the slight edge to New Mexico, only because you can see the Spanish/Native American influences all over the entire state, not just concentrated in small areas like you see in Louisiana.
I would rank Louisiana above New Mexico and this is because the Cajun areas of Louisiana and New Orleans truly have a unique homegrown culture that is different from France in terms of the food, music etc. Louisiana Cajun Country is NOT a replica of France and you can't really say its authentic French culture the way New Mexico has authentic Mexican culture that is identical to the culture of Mexico. New Mexico has a rich immigrant culture from Mexico which is different than the Louisiana melting pot. I live in Louisiana and even in New Orleans I don't feel like I'm in actual France, but when I was in New Mexico I felt like I was in Mexico.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:27 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
the way New Mexico has authentic Mexican culture that is identical to the culture of Mexico. New Mexico has a rich immigrant culture from Mexico which is different than the Louisiana melting pot.
Hispano culture in New Mexico is distinguished from other border states for the very reason that it is not like Mexico having been isolated from that country historically. That is why most northern New Mexicans consider themselves Spanish-American, not Mexican-American.

To say New Mexico culture is identical to Mexico is absurd unless you have a very superficial notion of the cultures of the two regions.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:53 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,689,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I would rank Louisiana above New Mexico and this is because the Cajun areas of Louisiana and New Orleans truly have a unique homegrown culture that is different from France in terms of the food, music etc. Louisiana Cajun Country is NOT a replica of France and you can't really say its authentic French culture the way New Mexico has authentic Mexican culture that is identical to the culture of Mexico. New Mexico has a rich immigrant culture from Mexico which is different than the Louisiana melting pot. I live in Louisiana and even in New Orleans I don't feel like I'm in actual France, but when I was in New Mexico I felt like I was in Mexico.
In New Mexico you have a long-time Hispanic culture which has been cultivated since the late 1600s mostly apart from Mexican influence. This culture is its own thing. You do have recent Mexican immigrants here and their flavor, but New Mexico's overall Hispanic community is not dominated by them in the way other places are. You also have the descendents of earlier Mexican immigrants (early 1900s-1970s) who share traits of both the long-time Hispanos and recent Mexican immigrants.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:20 PM

302 posts, read 545,775 times
Louisiana and New Mexico are definitely unique culturally.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:09 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
how is New Mexico like the Midwest?I am just wondering what you are trying to say.
I'm wondering that to. The parts of the Midwest most similar to New Mexico (western Dakotas) is the least "Midwestern" part of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.