U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 06:19 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,759,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
In NM it is more like a mix of Spanish, Pueblo, Navajo, Midwestern and Mexican cultures. It has its own unique cuisine, even a unique dialect of Spanish.

Since LA also has a unique dialect of French, and a unique cuisine, I'd say NM and LA are on even footing in the cultural department.
We have two, Cajun and Creole. Both developed separately and I believe that either language is indistinguishable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 11:29 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,940,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I would rank Louisiana above New Mexico and this is because the Cajun areas of Louisiana and New Orleans truly have a unique homegrown culture that is different from France in terms of the food, music etc. Louisiana Cajun Country is NOT a replica of France and you can't really say its authentic French culture the way New Mexico has authentic Mexican culture that is identical to the culture of Mexico. New Mexico has a rich immigrant culture from Mexico which is different than the Louisiana melting pot. I live in Louisiana and even in New Orleans I don't feel like I'm in actual France, but when I was in New Mexico I felt like I was in Mexico.
I'd disagree. As I mentioned, the whole French thing only exists in small pockets in Louisiana. Most of Louisiana is typical deep South vibe. In NM you get the Native/Spanish vibe everywhere from Taos to Las Cruces. When I visit LA, its fun and unique, for sure, but stepping into NM presents a much deeper and different feel. Its like stepping back in time. You half expect to see roving bands of Natives on horseback, and Spanish conquistadors setting up trade spots. Throw in the alien landscape and the wide open spaces and NM feels much more special to me than LA.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'd disagree. As I mentioned, the whole French thing only exists in small pockets in Louisiana. Most of Louisiana is typical deep South vibe. In NM you get the Native/Spanish vibe everywhere from Taos to Las Cruces. When I visit LA, its fun and unique, for sure, but stepping into NM presents a much deeper and different feel. Its like stepping back in time. You half expect to see roving bands of Natives on horseback, and Spanish conquistadors setting up trade spots. Throw in the alien landscape and the wide open spaces and NM feels much more special to me than LA.
Not really accurate. The deep south vibe is Central and north Louisiana. South Louisiana is the population center and is either Cajun Country or Creole Country. French speakers are rare but the culture is alive and well in over half the state.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:42 PM

706 posts, read 513,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I would rank Louisiana above New Mexico and this is because the Cajun areas of Louisiana and New Orleans truly have a unique homegrown culture that is different from France in terms of the food, music etc. Louisiana Cajun Country is NOT a replica of France and you can't really say its authentic French culture the way New Mexico has authentic Mexican culture that is identical to the culture of Mexico. New Mexico has a rich immigrant culture from Mexico which is different than the Louisiana melting pot. I live in Louisiana and even in New Orleans I don't feel like I'm in actual France, but when I was in New Mexico I felt like I was in Mexico.
New Mexican culture is about as Mexican as a green chile pizza, just like Cajun culture is about as French as gumbo. Besides, the equivalent culture would be Spanish culture, not Mexican.

Mexican culture is more prevalent with actual Mexican immigrants, as opposed to NM natives. I have studied Mexican culture, and I'd like to think that I know enough about my own culture to see the prodigious differences between the two. Even the Spanish is different.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:54 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,070,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm wondering that to. The parts of the Midwest most similar to New Mexico (western Dakotas) is the least "Midwestern" part of the region.
maybe that person means like the Eastern plains part of New Mexico.I dont see it even then because Roswell,Carlsbad and Hobbs are nothing like Missouri or IL or other midwestern states to me other than being flat.Eastern New Mexico is more like Texas than anywhere in the Midwest in my opinion.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:48 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,883,083 times
Louisiana. The accents, the topography, the French and creole influence. And Nola is a very unique city. New Mexico would be next. What unique is there about Vermont?

Old 09-01-2017, 03:18 PM

626 posts, read 575,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
maybe that person means like the Eastern plains part of New Mexico.I dont see it even then because Roswell,Carlsbad and Hobbs are nothing like Missouri or IL or other midwestern states to me other than being flat.Eastern New Mexico is more like Texas than anywhere in the Midwest in my opinion.
Don't some of the older lot have southern accents too, I was watching a crime documentary where the crimes took place in town in NM, and quite a few of the locals were speaking in thick southern accents.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:01 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,070,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Don't some of the older lot have southern accents too, I was watching a crime documentary where the crimes took place in town in NM, and quite a few of the locals were speaking in thick southern accents.
Maybe however a lot of the residents in Little Texas have a West Texas accent.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:34 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,003,697 times
My vote I think is for New Mexico. It has a bit of old Spanish culture/architecture in places like Santa Fe, it has Mexican culture due to being close to the border and immigrant population, it has a higher Native population than most states (and probably a higher concentration of ancient ruins than most places in the world). It has distinctive American frontier/road side culture (parts of Albuquerque, quirky towns like Roswell, even Spaceport America and Missile Sites!). It has it's own genre of food (New Mexican, truly). It has amazingly distinctive and vast landscapes not found in many places in the world (places like White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Taos are rare beasts). Don't get me wrong, the other two are unique too, but not AS much. Places that could pass as Vermont can be found in surrounding southern Canada, New Hampshire, Upstate NY, Upper Midwest, even portions of Europe). Louisiana is more distinctive, but yet the deep south culture does exist through many places in the south (somewhat like at least), and places with a Cajun/Creole culture exist across a decent portion of the Caribbean. It's bayous are probably the famous in the world (even in movie form in "Princess and the Frog"), but yet I think ones that don't look all that different could probably be found in states surrounding, and Florida too. I suppose the same could be said for NM, but all the uniqueness it has can probably be found in fewer places, at least in North America.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
My vote I think is for New Mexico. It has a bit of old Spanish culture/architecture in places like Santa Fe, it has Mexican culture due to being close to the border and immigrant population, it has a higher Native population than most states (and probably a higher concentration of ancient ruins than most places in the world). It has distinctive American frontier/road side culture (parts of Albuquerque, quirky towns like Roswell, even Spaceport America and Missile Sites!). It has it's own genre of food (New Mexican, truly). It has amazingly distinctive and vast landscapes not found in many places in the world (places like White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Taos are rare beasts). Don't get me wrong, the other two are unique too, but not AS much. Places that could pass as Vermont can be found in surrounding southern Canada, New Hampshire, Upstate NY, Upper Midwest, even portions of Europe). Louisiana is more distinctive, but yet the deep south culture does exist through many places in the south (somewhat like at least), and places with a Cajun/Creole culture exist across a decent portion of the Caribbean. It's bayous are probably the famous in the world (even in movie form in "Princess and the Frog"), but yet I think ones that don't look all that different could probably be found in states surrounding, and Florida too. I suppose the same could be said for NM, but all the uniqueness it has can probably be found in fewer places, at least in North America.
Deep South culture doesn't exist in South Louisiana like it does in other states. We are as separate from the deep South as Appalachia is.

Cajun culture doesn't exist anywhere outside of the state, and our Creole is about as Creole as New Mexico culture is Mexican. They have obvious influences but are nowhere near the same.

If I'm not mistaken, Florida has more wetlands and we have thick swamps that look like jungles. There might be a few areas around that resemble our swamps (SE Texas for sure, Mississippi, and Florida) but they surely aren't as large.

I think they are both equal, for the record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.