U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:56 AM

6,646 posts, read 3,700,783 times

Advertisements

Small towns that have an anchor enterprise, preferably governmental, will survive. If they have a state college, a prison, state hospital, or the state capital they have something that has a long-term future. I remember a few years ago when small towns were competing for prisons like they did for railroads 130 years ago.

Without an anchor, small town-itis takes over and spirals into the ground. Young people can't wait to leave. Retirees won't support schools or public improvements. Businesses shut down. More jobs leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 09:13 AM

56,797 posts, read 81,149,048 times
These places may be some of the exceptions: Corning, NY - America's Most Fun Small Town | Finger Lakes Region
Corning's Gaffer District
https://www.corning.com/worldwide/en.html

Home
Welcome to the Village of Skaneateles!
https://www.welchallyn.com/content/w...ericas/en.html

Village of East Aurora, NY
Baby Toys & Baby Gear, Find Parenting Tips & Play Online Games | Fisher-Price
Fisher-Price® Human Resources - About Us

City of Allegan, Michigan
https://www.perrigo.com/
https://www.perrigo.com/about/perrigo-history.aspx

The Riviera of the Midwest - City of St. Joseph, Michigan
This company is based nearby just outside of adjacent Benton Harbor: https://www.whirlpool.com/

Old 08-23-2017, 09:18 AM

4,249 posts, read 9,733,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Small towns that have an anchor enterprise, preferably governmental, will survive. If they have a state college, a prison, state hospital, or the state capital they have something that has a long-term future. I remember a few years ago when small towns were competing for prisons like they did for railroads 130 years ago.
Even a prison or a college isn't the anchor it once was. Wider trends in society are questioning "mass incarceration" and even college attendance, see ‘Dirty Jobs’ Star Mike Rowe: Not Everyone Should Go to College | Fox Business

NY and PA have been closing prisons. PA has seriously considered closing state-owned universities.

The current political environment offers a possibility of wrecking health care as well.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:37 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,159,794 times
The trend since the beginning of this country has been away from isolation and "ruralness", and towards urban concentration and cities. Look at the world at large too, and you'll see the move towards grouping in clusters and cities. The need and desire for connectedness, even if just within one's own country, is unstoppable. It's hard to imagine a scenario where this could be reversed.

There are always people bucking the trend, and going from large towns to smaller ones, but those are quite small numbers in comparison.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:24 AM

15,568 posts, read 17,788,959 times
Some small towns, especially those with good old architecture and history, that are in the orbit of larger cities may attract people who can use them as bedroom communities -with history and character- to raise their kids.

Some small towns in the orbit of larger cities that can harness their agricultural resources to provide in demand specialty products -read "local produce, cheese, grass fed beef,etc."- and light industry, perhaps processing the aformentioned products, may be able to survive on those merits.

Some small towns in incredibly scenic and/or touristy areas may survive due to tourism jobs and an increasingly mobile work-from-home workforce if they can provide internet access and amenities.

But small towns that are in the proverbial 'middle-of-nowhere' are headed towards becoming ghost towns unless they have a factory or other industry such as mining or timber that can support the populace.

Due to automation of farming, the original job killing automation, towns in the bread basket just have less and less reason to exist anymore.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:20 AM

4,249 posts, read 9,733,873 times
Skaneateles and East Aurora are exurban satellites of larger cities Syracuse and Buffalo, of course.

Admittedly it would be difficult to describe Corning as an exurban satellite of Elmira (maybe it once was, but it's probably more the other way round now). Hosting a public-spirited major corporation must be increasingly exceptional.

I wonder how many Fortune 1000 headquarters are located outside of, say, the top 30 media markets. It might also be interesting to see how that proportion might have changed over time. (I don't have time today to figure that out myself.)

Old 08-23-2017, 07:40 PM

3,511 posts, read 1,711,952 times
The only way small American towns come back is if migration or resettlement of migrants is redirected toward a smaller town. Even then that boom might be temporary till people move to cities. Many big and medium sized American cities are struggling to gain 100,000 people in a decade, what makes you think the even smaller places can come back. The best future for these places is Japan, were people go to retire but even then that might change and really only affect southern towns.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:29 AM

7,761 posts, read 9,065,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

Without an anchor, small town-itis takes over and spirals into the ground. Young people can't wait to leave. Retirees won't support schools or public improvements. Businesses shut down. More jobs leave.
Absolutely.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:59 AM

712 posts, read 400,571 times
I really worry about smaller metro areas even. Places like Youngstown, Wheeling, and Scranton now have much higher death rates than birth rates. Is there any hope at all for them?

Old 08-24-2017, 08:55 AM

56,797 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Skaneateles and East Aurora are exurban satellites of larger cities Syracuse and Buffalo, of course.

Admittedly it would be difficult to describe Corning as an exurban satellite of Elmira (maybe it once was, but it's probably more the other way round now). Hosting a public-spirited major corporation must be increasingly exceptional.

I wonder how many Fortune 1000 headquarters are located outside of, say, the top 30 media markets. It might also be interesting to see how that proportion might have changed over time. (I don't have time today to figure that out myself.)
Corning is a part of its own micro area and the Elmira CSA, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know if there are many places that are smaller with a high profile company HQed there. Maybe a handful.

I will say that it appears to have some buzz, as mentioned earlier and with sites like this: UrbanCorning | Events, Info, and Fun in Corning, NY

Or recognition like this: https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...rketstreet.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or