Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 03:00 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,592,446 times

Advertisements

Bull**** like this makes rural life look much more appealing. If it continues, then don't be surprised if more people start settling in small towns and rural areas, especially with more people being able to work remotely than before. Quite frankly, all the cultural and civic assets in the world aren't worth dealing with people like that, especially if city governments keep enabling them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 07:51 AM

915 posts, read 1,493,346 times
The thing that people aren't acknowledging is that small towns have their own set of problems too.

In mine, we can't seem to figure out how to get the library expanded to meet growing demand. (And we have to buy into the other library in the area b/c the two libraries can't work out a reciprocal lending agreement). The building is too small, and everything is crammed in, but a lot of people don't want to pay to build another building. (It's like hanging out in grandma's basement looking for books. Wandering through the stacks really isn't a thing.)

Honestly, it's amazing what they do with the space they have, but it kind of sucks that I can't go to events that I'd like to go to because there's simply no parking/no room once you get there. The idea of parking on the only access road to the library (where the speed limit is 50 miles/hour) holds no appeal (especially since it's a few feet away from a curve and drivers whip around the curve at 50+/miles/hour).

Also, the roads weren't built to handle all the traffic that's here now and it's only going to get worse in the next couple of years.

In the next couple of years, the new housing developments that are being built are actually going to be done and people will actually be moving in. Which is going to equal more cars/people everywhere.

The schools are already a cluster and that's only going to get worse in the next few years.

And whoever thought it was a bright idea to put the two middle schools next to each other w/the same start time really wasn't thinking it through.

The horror stories I've heard from parents who are already in that mess really rival anything you'd find in the "big city". (And next year, I get to be a part of the fun too! For 3 long years.....sigh). People can be jerks regardless if it's a small town or a big city.

You'll have to deal with awful people whether it's a small town or a big city. In fact, their jerkiness is much more pronounced because you are in a small town - you really do expect people to be nicer. So when they aren't - it's much more noticeable - and there's realization that you probably will keep seeing and interacting with this awful person if they are on the same schedule as you b/c your kid is in the same grade or goes to the same school or is doing the same activities. Or they shop at the same store(s) or they attend the same church service or eat at the same restaurants.......

You see the same people - a lot. Which is good in a lot of ways, but can be really annoying too.

So, no.....small town living really isn't an escape from jerkiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.