Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:21 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Bronx County is the poorest County in NY State in terms of poverty rate, but it also has its middle class(lower to upper) areas as well. Tioga County actually has one of the lowest poverty rates in the state.

In Broome County, you also have what is left of IBM in Endicott, BAE Systems also in Endicott, Visions FCU HQ's in Endicott, i3 electronics in Endicott, NYSEG in Vestal, Maines in Conklin and Colombian Financial Group in Binghamton, with some possibly working at the Raymond Corporation in Greene in adjacent Chenango County to the NE or Lockheed Martin in Owego in Tioga County.
These are also within Federally defined Appalachia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 02:15 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
These are also within Federally defined Appalachia.
Topographically and geologically appropriate too, for that matter.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:05 PM

100 posts, read 103,261 times
[quote=ABQConvict;49334956]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Chode View Post
Do poor regions in general have a noticeable amount of poverty ? By that I mean will you see less people in those regions running around with smartphones and new shiny cars ?

You can get a smartphone for $25 with a pay by month plan for as little as $15/month with enough data to surf the web. You can get a rather decent smart phone for around $100. Yes, the most lauded phones cost $500+, but generally speaking smart phones are not a luxury item and all but the most desperately poor can afford them.

Even poor regions have a middle and upper class, but you will see a lot of old cars, limping along compared to wealthier areas.

Yes, these are the most obvious visual cues that the area you are in is poor. Much more so than cars and phones.

I'm not saying I doubt you , but I've never seen a 25 dollar smartphone , much less one with a 15 dollar monthly plan . I'll concede that I might not get out much though , since I don't usually check the phone display at Walmart and similar places .

I currently live in the Eastern part of the DC metro for what it's worth , so I'm not speaking as a resident of a behind the times region .

Old 08-28-2017, 03:17 PM

[quote=Gene Chode;49342624]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I'm not saying I doubt you , but I've never seen a 25 dollar smartphone , much less one with a 15 dollar monthly plan . I'll concede that I might not get out much though , since I don't usually check the phone display at Walmart and similar places .

I currently live in the Eastern part of the DC metro for what it's worth , so I'm not speaking as a resident of a behind the times region .
Can confirm. Wal Mart has cheap smart phones.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
The Rio Grande Valley by the Mexican border is incredibly impoverished and wracked by illegal immigration and drug trafficking yet is rarely mentioned.

Gary, Indiana and East St. Louis don't get the attention that their nearby cities do but these are among the two worst places in the country.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:

The Kyocera Hydra Reach from BoostMobile - $29.99

Android 5.1, 1.1Ghz Quadcore processor, 4G, 5-inch screen. Not a powerhouse, but quite able for the cost of a dinner out. Oh, and it's waterproof so if it starts raining while you are panhandling at the interstate exit, you can keep posting to city-data!

OK, Boost's cheapest plan is $35/month but that gives you a respectable 3GB which is plenty unless you are trying to watch movies on your phone. There are definitely cheaper plans out there.

Quote:
Oh... Well excuuuuuuuse me! I was just down here in my flyover hovel with a view of the dirt factory. Didn't know I was speaking to a real fancy D.C. man!

But seriously, these phones and plans cost the same whether you are in D.C., Beverley Hills, some gold encrusted apartment in Trump Tower, or even a trailer sticking out of the mud with flour sacks for rugs and a raccoon for a dog.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Rio Grande Valley by the Mexican border is incredibly impoverished and wracked by illegal immigration and drug trafficking yet is rarely mentioned.
I actually disagree that it isn't mentioned. Just about anybody you bring it up with has the same opinion about it; "a whole region of no". Not to mention all the talk about illegals going on at all times.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:36 AM

511 posts, read 399,874 times
Border towns and "colonias" in the Southwest and Texas.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:17 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,973 times
Some rust belt semi-abandoned cities are fascinating, they have a lot of potential if they will succesfully manage to renovate the old industrial infrastructures.

For example seen vua Google Maps Cleveland has a river that goes though it but people don't live there nor enjoy it, the place looks populated by abandoned factories and stuff like that, it's a shame.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
Some rust belt semi-abandoned cities are fascinating, they have a lot of potential if they will succesfully manage to renovate the old industrial infrastructures.

For example seen vua Google Maps Cleveland has a river that goes though it but people don't live there nor enjoy it, the place looks populated by abandoned factories and stuff like that, it's a shame.
Time to enter the 21st century and out of the 1980's.

https://www.clevelandfoundation.org/...ial-residents/

Downtown Cleveland experiences 76 percent increase in residents aged 25-34 since 2000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.