U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:56 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
It takes all kinds, I guess. Michigan just doesn't speak to me in any way, and probably least of all in terms of natural beauty. Good beer, though.
Unlikely you've spent much time in the UP of Michigan or northern lower Michigan then. People that live in most of the Midwest are quite familiar with that area if they do any traveling.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 08-26-2017 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:17 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,317,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Unlikely you've spent much time in the UP of Michigan or northern lower Michigan then. People that live in most of the Midwest are quite familiar with that area if they do any traveling.
Not much time in the UP, I enjoyed it okay, but it didn't make me want to come back. Mest of the time I've spent in Michigan has been in the Leelanua peninsula and around traverse. Followed by Detroit/Ann Arbor. Never really done anything but drive through SW Michigan on the way up to Leland. The only part of Michigan I've never set foot in is northeast along Lake Huron except for Mackinac.

Anything else you'd like to tell me about my experience?

Old 08-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Not much time in the UP, I enjoyed it okay, but it didn't make me want to come back. Mest of the time I've spent in Michigan has been in the Leelanua peninsula and around traverse. Followed by Detroit/Ann Arbor. Never really done anything but drive through SW Michigan on the way up to Leland. The only part of Michigan I've never set foot in is northeast along Lake Huron except for Mackinac.

Anything else you'd like to tell me about my experience?
I have spent extensive time in the UP, and I prefer the Porcupine Wilderness State Park, Tahquamenon Falls State Park, The Sylvania Wilderness Area, Hiawatha National Forest, Keweenaw Peninsula, Copper Harbor, all of Lake Superior, and the city of Marquette. Also, adjacent areas of northern Wisconsin are nearby that are quite scenic including: The Northern Highland State Forest, Apostle Islands, Vilas, Oneida, and Sawyer counties in WI, and the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. I doubt you even scratched the surface of scenic areas in the UP of Michigan and adjacent areas.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 08-27-2017 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 03:33 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,317,882 times
I scratched enough to know it doesn't itch me. Unless circumstances force me to, I'd prefer not to return. Gives me the meh's. I'd rather go to back to Arkansas again.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I scratched enough to know it doesn't itch me. Unless circumstances force me to, I'd prefer not to return. Gives me the meh's. I'd rather go to back to Arkansas again.
Arkansas is good in terms of scenery, but lots of hilly terrain that makes driving tiring after awhile. Also, no naturally occurring lakes in Arkansas is a big downfall, along with too much heat and humidity with latitude being much too far south. The downside of the UP of Michigan is black flies if one visits in the summer. I actually prefer the other seasons there when the cold greatly reduces bugs and other pests, unlike most areas of the South.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:05 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,253,994 times
There's no contest here. Michigan wins hands down in all of the areas listed and then some.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:08 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,764 times
Michigan probably wins this, but I would take Arkansas all day long over Michigan due to personal preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.