U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you still live in the area where you grew up?
Still live in hometown 25 18.25%
Moved away, but still live within two hours of hometown 23 16.79%
Moved away and haven't looked back 61 44.53%
Moved away and then returned. Currently live within two hours of alma matter 28 20.44%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:30 AM

138 posts, read 90,158 times

Advertisements

Born, grew up and still live in Hamilton NJ....

considering moving out of state when I retire though, cost of living here is getting nuttier by the day. . But otherwise, great place to live, never dreamed of moving out of the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:48 AM

12,659 posts, read 15,105,016 times
Moved away for college many years ago, stayed away for 20+ years and now, I'm back.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:46 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,468,192 times
My hometown, by this classification, is Riverside, CA. I live 14 hours away by car, and moved away from there in 2004.

I live in Arvada, CO (NW suburb of Denver), and have lived in this area since 2007 (with the exception of a 6 month period in 2009 where I lived in Eastern WA).

Ultimate of all ultimate dreams would be to move back to Eastern WA, alternative dream would be to drift around places I like/am interested in (essentially the Pacific Time Zone and the Midwest). My business keeps me in CO, but I could move to AZ, OR, or SW WA, and run my business just the same.

I am happy that I left home. I would not be the person I am, nor would I have achieved what I have had I never left. I see my peers struggling to live the CA lifestyle, and I'm immensely happy that I did not put myself through that.

Prior to ~ 2 years ago, moving home never hit my radar. My mother passed away in 2006 (while no longer living at home), I have no relationship with my father, but my brother/his family, and all of my father's family (literally dozens of people) still live there. My wife's family is 90-150 minutes away from where I'm from. Having family in my regular life would be nice, and we have kicked around the idea of moving back, but have never made solid plans to explore/do so.

We are in a sort of limbo where we have sort of plateaued entrepreneurially, not sure of our next steps, but we have enough here holding us here in CO in the interim, aside from the many vacations/work trips we've taken the last 8 months (IL, WA, AZ, CA, NV), with more to come.

Last edited by Count David; 08-25-2017 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-25-2017, 11:25 AM

1,251 posts, read 644,247 times
I was born, raised and still live in Cleveland, Ohio. No, I didn't get stuck or settle as a lot of people may think and I enjoy living here.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:52 PM

23,685 posts, read 17,651,107 times
I'm from northeast Tennessee. I lived here until I was 25 and moved to Iowa for better money. Didn't like Iowa and moved back to Tennessee. I moved back for a contract job and only planned on staying very temporarily, thinking I'd be able to move to Raleigh, Nashville, or Charlotte shortly, but I got stuck here for a little over a year and ran into financial problems. I ended up finding a job in Indianapolis paying double what I made here and stayed there for three years, moving up.

I moved back home last year. I like my job here better and kept my IN salary. With that said, this town is full blown Rust Belt and is no place to raise a family. Bad drug problems, bad crime, etc. I don't plan on leaving the South, but I may not live in this town for more than a few more years.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:55 PM

795 posts, read 1,056,876 times
I live about 2 hours from my hometown. I'm so glad that I don't live there anymore. It was way too small for me. I was always dreaming of getting out. It's not a bad city, just not for me.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:47 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,660,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Some people never leave their hometown while others leave and never look back. There's a third group that does leave but for whatever reason they either get nostalgic or get down on their luck and end up moving back to their hometown. For the purposes of this poll, your hometown is wherever you graduated high school, regardless of how many places you lived growing up. I also consider living within two hours of your alma matter living in the same area you grew up in for all intents and purposes.

So which group do you fall into? Where did you grow up and where are you living now? If you stayed in your hometown or you moved back after having moved away, are you happy with that decision or do you want to move? If you left, are you happy with that decision and/or do you ever consider moving back home?

I fall into the third group in that I moved away for about three years and then moved back home primarily due to the Great Recession and pressure from family.
Moved to Tucson for a few years for school, came back to Phoenix.

I'm still very young and would like to try living in *not a desert* for once in my life but I also don't at the same time. I think Phoenix has a lot of positive attributes, but the negatives shine bright for me and I have a hard time ignoring them. Things like summer day heat, rising COL, lack of urbanity, lack of people my age (most Millennials in Phoenix are only temporary), etc.

My family is moving out of Arizona in droves it seems so it's not like family will be keeping me here any time soon. I am "ripe" for a move across the country.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:01 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,299,139 times
I've lived in CA twice, NY twice, CO, PA, NC, and now FL.

Graduated HS near Allentown, PA, where I lived for 20 years. One thing I noticed about people who lived in the Lehigh Valley, PA during the late '60s - late '80s is that few ever left the Valley - not even for vacation. My 20 year HS alumni directory showed that over 80% of the graduates still lived within 45 minutes of the high school.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 08-25-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 10:58 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,219,151 times
I didn't want to leave, but I didn't want to spend a decade working retail post-college trying to land a job in my field. With thousands of applicants per position, I had to look elsewhere. I returned 6 years later. I do not live in my hometown, although I want to, but about 3 miles outside of it. I just purchased a house earlier this year. I compromised on location.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:00 PM

222 posts, read 153,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I've lived in CA twice, NY twice, CO, PA, NC, and now FL.

Graduated HS near Allentown, PA, where I lived for 20 years. One thing I noticed about people who lived in the Lehigh Valley, PA during the late '60s - late '80s is that few ever left the Valley - not even for vacation. My 20 year HS alumni directory showed that over 80% of the graduates still lived within 45 minutes of the high school.
I worked in valley i meet guy 20 something what never visit anything beside valley how is that even possible? Why is like that in valley though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or