U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 PM

204 posts, read 163,220 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am currently doing my research here at city-data.com using the city profiles on the main website, and I am doing a little experiment here. So I am trying to find statistically which American cities may have some of the most well-rounded people, or which American cities may be considered the most well-rounded. I've been doing my research in finding these factors based off of the definition of a well-rounded person, also known as a renaissance man or woman, as defined by the how-to list defined by wikihow found here:How to Become a Well and in art of manliness's "How to be a renaissance man", found here: Renaissance Man: How to be a Real Polymath | The Art of Manliness.

In short, I was wondering if anybody had any cities in America in mind that fits these categories:

In the United States: In one of one of the 50 U.S. states (well, maybe not all states, but whichever states have a city that fits the rest of the prerequisites and in America)

Some sort of city: Basically a city with at least a population of 35,000, or possibly even as low 30,000, could qualify as a city. Also shouldn't be predominately a bedroom community of a larger city, but rather a city with its own employment base and amenities that would make it in any traditional sense its own city (older than 1930, for instance, even if the majority of it is built after 1945)

Politically diverse: Basically a city where no party has over 65% of the total vote of the 2016 presidential election and where at least 6% of the popular vote in that city went to a third-party candidate.

Ethnically diverse: not necessarily minority majority, or even where whites and Asians make up less than 3/4 of the population, but where the population is 8% Black or 8% Hispanic.

Not dead: not necessarily a fast-growing metro area, but at least where it is estimate that it has grown by at least a third of a percentage point from the 2010 census.

At least middle class: where at least the median income was $45,000 or higher

Plenty of amenities: having at least some historic downtown built before 1930, regardless of condition, and not like an early suburban shopping center; having a decent movie theater, plenty of good restaurants, a stable food environment throughout most of the city, and at least some sort of major employer to speak of; also maybe a good library system; and maybe a museum or something to visit.

Cost of Living, family friendliness, schools, they really don't matter to me. Although, not as a prerequisite, but as a personal preference, I think it would be convenient to be in the same region as a major international airport or near a four-year college or university.

Let me know what you think up, or if you have any comments on this, feel free to make them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:13 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,777,391 times
Sacramento

Old 08-25-2017, 08:35 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,126,390 times
Minneapolis.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:06 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,430,914 times
Pittsburgh

Old 08-25-2017, 10:42 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,771,019 times
I think Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, LA, Bay Area, NYC, DC, and Chicago are the best. I can't think of any small cities that would meet those requirements.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:19 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,777,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I think Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, LA, Bay Area, NYC, DC, and Chicago are the best. I can't think of any small cities that would meet those requirements.
All except Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta lean too far to the left for the op's requirements.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:38 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
All except Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta lean too far to the left for the op's requirements.
I'd probably exclude Houston from that list. Due to its enormous city limits, it's a bit more moderate than the other two.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:41 AM

Default Clarification

Quick clarification:

When I said 8% Hispanic or 8% Black, I didn't necessarily mean it had to be both at least 8% Black and at least 8% Hispanic. It can be as low in diversity as being 90% white, 8% Black or Hispanic, and 2% of all other races or two or more races.

Also, the part about being near a major international airport or a major four-year college is a secondary factor that should not automatically rule out any smaller or medium-sized cities you may be able to think of. Feel free to post any city of any size that fits all the other criteria listed in the other post.

Anyway, I am glad to see people responding. I have gotten some good suggestions for some of the larger cities like Sacramento or Minneapolis. I have given those posters addition to their reputation and will add to others who continue to post. You all are great!

Old 08-25-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd probably exclude Houston from that list. Due to its enormous city limits, it's a bit more moderate than the other two.
I checked out Houston on the list, and while moderation wasn't a problem for me (I prefer moderation, where no more than 65% of the vote goes to any one party in the 2016 election) and political dominance wasn't a problem (Hilary got 54% and Trump 42% (that's not 2/3 of the whole popular vote for either side), What was disappointing was the fact that less than 6% of the population voted third party. So, to me, a well rounded city has political diversity, and especially given that the third party vote was the highest since Ross Perot in the 1996 election (his second election), I would think that a politically diverse city would have at least 1/2 as many Greens voting as Libertarians, which got about 4% of the popular vote. Numbers for the popular vote in categories of "Other", "Trump", and "Clinton."

Personally, I wouldn't include Houston due to the low numbers of third party turnout. They only voted rounding up to 4% for third party. Personally, I would think a truly politically diverse city would have each party have less than 2/3 of the popular vote and at least 6% of the popular vote going to third party candidates.

Moderate is good, no third-party presence is bad.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:42 PM

989 posts, read 596,228 times
Columbia, SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or