U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 09:16 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,356,159 times

Advertisements

What's so great about the Hoosier state? It's not Illinois. - Chicago Tribune
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 05:40 AM

4,269 posts, read 5,489,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

Gary has it's own trajectory in the country, albeit tied closely to Chicago. But if Chicago collapsed, Gary would benefit. Gary is where Chicago should have been, but the Chicago River was too useful.
This would read that you're posting opposite of your own thread's title: negative news about the Rustbelt.

Probably not the wisest idea to be speculating about the collapse of the single-largest economic driver (Chicago and Illinois) in the region. My suggestion would be to stick to posting positive things about Gary...

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 08-29-2017 at 05:50 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 07:31 AM

23,623 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
No it can't. Look at a map, Gary sits at the southern tip of the lakes. It is really (one of?) the vortex of North America. And it happens to lie within the country's largest inland metropolis, but in the part that is fiscally sound. I'm usually about 10 years ahead, remember this thread when you start hearing more and more about Gary.

People are still poopooing Detroit's remarkable rebirth, so not surprising.

Anyhow, the fact is that the New York Times travel section just published an article about Gary and it's beach. So I'm not alone in seeing what's there.
I was at Miller Beach last year. It's a great area, and as someone not from the Midwest, I think places like Gary get a worse reputation than they deserve. The problem with Gary, much of northwest IN, and the Rust Belt in general is that all the industrial "leftovers," abandoned houses and buildings, lack of maintenance, looks atrocious. It's hard to sell the lakefront when you can see belching smokestacks not that far away.

Without Chicago, northwest IN doesn't have a lot. Most of its towns are really bedroom communities, and most of the top jobs and top everything are across the border in IL. If Chicago really takes a nosedive, NWI is going down with it.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM

571 posts, read 844,312 times
I want to move to Gary.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:16 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,356,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
This would read that you're posting opposite of your own thread's title: negative news about the Rustbelt.

Probably not the wisest idea to be speculating about the collapse of the single-largest economic driver (Chicago and Illinois) in the region. My suggestion would be to stick to posting positive things about Gary...
The speculation of Chicago's collapse was a response to the belittling of Northwest Indiana. I grew up amongst elite NorthShore types. Happily living at the southern tip of the Lake.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:50 AM

3,656 posts, read 4,606,302 times
The only thing I ever hear about Gary is bad news or what is used to be. Thanks for posing about the good news going on in Gary now. I had no idea. I might have to stop through there one day when I'm passing by.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:08 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Public housing is pretty much in every region.

Now, where do said people go to, so that they don't cause a "chain reaction" of movement?
Prison seems to be where most residents of places like that belong. You would be hard pressed to find people who live in "projects" that don't use or sell drugs, steal, belong to gangs, or commit violent acts. If we got real with these people and stopped worrying about who would whine complain and protest about locking them up we could really clean up most American cities. Running expensive prisons is still cheaper than the damage these parasites cause to our society.

Cities like Gary or Detroit have dramatic waterfront real estate, they should be wonderful places but bad people have been allowed to destroy them.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:24 PM

56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Prison seems to be where most residents of places like that belong. You would be hard pressed to find people who live in "projects" that don't use or sell drugs, steal, belong to gangs, or commit violent acts. If we got real with these people and stopped worrying about who would whine complain and protest about locking them up we could really clean up most American cities. Running expensive prisons is still cheaper than the damage these parasites cause to our society.

Cities like Gary or Detroit have dramatic waterfront real estate, they should be wonderful places but bad people have been allowed to destroy them.
That is a generalization though and many in public housing may be disabled or are just working people that don't make much and are trying to live their lives. So, it isn't that simple at all.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:33 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is a generalization though and many in public housing may be disabled or are just working people that don't make much and are trying to live their lives. So, it isn't that simple at all.
Yes some are disabled, a few may actually be working people. I believe those innocent groups would still be in the minority in a housing project. Obviously I have no beef with those kinds of people and I don't believe they contribute to the ghetto conditions of housing projects. In fact those folks would likely be happy if we removed the criminals from thier neighborhoods, no doubt these folks are often victims of the criminals in the projects. I assume it's not a stretch to say more than half of the people in these places are criminals, if they weren't then the projects would be relatively safe wouldn't they?

Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 PM

4,896 posts, read 7,663,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes some are disabled, a few may actually be working people. I believe those innocent groups would still be in the minority in a housing project. Obviously I have no beef with those kinds of people and I don't believe they contribute to the ghetto conditions of housing projects. In fact those folks would likely be happy if we removed the criminals from thier neighborhoods, no doubt these folks are often victims of the criminals in the projects. I assume it's not a stretch to say more than half of the people in these places are criminals, if they weren't then the projects would be relatively safe wouldn't they?
I assume it's just the opposite. IMO, a small percentage of the people living in public housing are criminals. It only takes a small number of criminals to cause a lot of problems.

For example, last summer, there was a rash of burglaries in my neighborhood. After they caught the two guys responsible, there were no more burglaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or