U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:06 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,370,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Explain to me then why my house, which has an attached unit I Airbnb, clearing 25,000 a year, has doubled in value in 3 years. Dozens of homes are undergoing gut rehabs, new homes are going up in my area of the city. New businesses are opening, a new bike share system was recently lunched, a 60 million dollar building at Indiana University Northwest was just completed. Gary is at the very beginning of a sustained recovery, but the flight from the city is largely abating and at least in my neighborhood, the population is growing.
Hey man, good for you. If that's true with your house and Airbnb that's pretty amazing news for Miller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 09:09 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,370,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
No, it is not.

This guy seems to love it, but is making some ridiculous arguments about why it's the best place in the US. Laughable obviously
Midwest1 lives in Miller Beach which is one of the rare nicer areas of Gary. Miller is definitely making a comeback but I haven't seen any compelling evidence that Gary itself has rebounded. There are some encouraging new developments but I wouldn't say it has turned the corner yet the way say Detroit has. It might be starting to make that turn but it's going to be a long slow arduous journey.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:15 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,602,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Prison seems to be where most residents of places like that belong. You would be hard pressed to find people who live in "projects" that don't use or sell drugs, steal, belong to gangs, or commit violent acts. If we got real with these people and stopped worrying about who would whine complain and protest about locking them up we could really clean up most American cities. Running expensive prisons is still cheaper than the damage these parasites cause to our society.

Cities like Gary or Detroit have dramatic waterfront real estate, they should be wonderful places but bad people have been allowed to destroy them.
Coming from somebody who know people and have actually been to numerous housing projects... that is complete BS and a ridiculous generalization. Most of the people in housing projects are single mothers, elderly people, and minors. Most of the people there selling drugs, committing crimes, shooting people, ect are a small group of people that live there, often times teenagers or people that don't even live there. Ever seen "New Jack City"? It's probably not even 25% of the people that live there. It's a hotbed for crime because many of the projects was run by slumlords or people who did not care what was going on there. If you own an apartment complex and you let homeless people and drug addicts stay on the property (like sleep in hallways), let some of the tenants get away with all kinds of crap, criminals are going to take notice, especially if the police response times are worse than most. Your apartment is going to go to hell and get out of control pretty fast. I've actually seen decent low income housing apartments that were pretty quiet and well maintained. Of course it's more riff raff there than a normal middle class neighborhood, but they stay on top of the tenants about the rules and in turn, things don't turn into Cabrini Green.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:54 AM

22,143 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No doubt NYC is a different animal, extreme cost of living likely means a lot of middle class folks live in subsidized housing. If that is the case it would reduce the rate of crime there. However in much of America housing projects are synonymous with ghetto conditions and a lot of crime. We need to lock up the criminals, if we're talking violent crime then they should never see the light of day again.
Maybe, I haven't gone through the stats for housing projects in other cities, though what limited federal stats there are don't seem to point to most being criminals or almost completely unemployed.

I think it might make sense for the US to adopt some of the rehabilitation practices done abroad rather than how our prisons currently work.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:05 AM

191 posts, read 169,484 times
I don't know about anyone else, but I like seeing someone have some civic pride in Gary. The Miller Beach area really is a great spot, and the city itself has some amazing bones. All of the building blocks are in place for it to become a compelling choice for people looking for a cheaper area to live up that way while still enjoying excellent access to all that Chicago has to offer.

I'm rooting hard for Gary.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:20 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I don't mean to sound disrespectful but is Gary really making a comeback???? I was under the impression it was the Camden of the mid-west.
No, I'm rooting for it and know people who live in the city - but no - it's not making any huge comeback.

The isolated enclave of Miller Beach is an anomaly within Gary. It's mostly white as the rest of Gary is mostly black, it's isolated a few miles away from the rest of the city to the northeast on Lake Michigan. My friends parents live there and I go there often, I love Miller/Miller Beach and it's doing great and picking up steam - but that 10% of Gary's growth and change have NOTHING really to do with the other 90% of Gary off to the southwest.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:04 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,353,836 times
You are very very wrong. First Miller I believe now represents almost 20% of the city's population. What used to be a contentious relationship between Miller and Gary has seen a 180 degree turn. The city now is investing in Miller and very few in Miller now want to secede from the city.

And things are happening all over the city. Here's an article about Centier Bank's investment downtown.
http://www.nwitimes.com/business/cen...75be2fa16.html

Old 09-06-2017, 10:55 AM

56,623 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
You are very very wrong. First Miller I believe now represents almost 20% of the city's population. What used to be a contentious relationship between Miller and Gary has seen a 180 degree turn. The city now is investing in Miller and very few in Miller now want to secede from the city.

And things are happening all over the city. Here's an article about Centier Bank's investment downtown.
'Centier Building' seen as catalyst for downtown Gary revival | Business | nwitimes.com
I believe that Miller Beach also has portions that are predominantly Black and middle class as well(Census tract 089010100). So, it appears that it is more diverse than some may realize as well.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:56 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,526,206 times
Dude, you're not going to convince ANYONE that it's the most underrated place to live, and definitely not the best place to live.

It's great you enjoy it, but that's about the extent of things

Old 09-06-2017, 06:05 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,353,836 times
Get back to me in a few years. Some live in the past and some see the future. People wrote Detroit off for dead and it's rebirth shocked the naysayers. Same thing is beginning in Gary. Gary is truly I believe the most underrated city in the country simply on the basis of it's location in the lowest tax slice of Chicagoland. It has very real assets that very few realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or