U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:59 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,355,635 times
https://www.curbed.com/2017/9/6/1625...t-architecture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 08:20 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,528,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Get back to me in a few years. Some live in the past and some see the future. People wrote Detroit off for dead and it's rebirth shocked the naysayers. Same thing is beginning in Gary. Gary is truly I believe the most underrated city in the country simply on the basis of it's location in the lowest tax slice of Chicagoland. It has very real assets that very few realize.
You act like the location is insanely amazing. You're smoking that Gary crack man...

Where are mountains that I can go hiking, skiiing, etc... oh that's right, 4-10 hours away. Where's the ocean that I can enjoy year round? That's right, there isn't one, just a cold a$$ lake, sure it's pretty, but it's no paradise. You can't escape the fact that Gary is still indeed ghetto, and lacks major attractions in the city of Gary itself. The biggest attraction is being near a city like Chicago

I would say off the top of my head, there are minimum of 25+ places I'd much rather be. For example, Lake Tahoe. In the heart of the mountains, world class skiing, hiking, etc...and a lake that makes any Great Lakes look ugly. Not to mention only a couple hours from the ocean if that's more your style.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:12 PM

3,228 posts, read 1,560,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
You act like the location is insanely amazing. You're smoking that Gary crack man...

Where are mountains that I can go hiking, skiiing, etc... oh that's right, 4-10 hours away. Where's the ocean that I can enjoy year round? That's right, there isn't one, just a cold a$$ lake, sure it's pretty, but it's no paradise. You can't escape the fact that Gary is still indeed ghetto, and lacks major attractions in the city of Gary itself. The biggest attraction is being near a city like Chicago

I would say off the top of my head, there are minimum of 25+ places I'd much rather be. For example, Lake Tahoe. In the heart of the mountains, world class skiing, hiking, etc...and a lake that makes any Great Lakes look ugly. Not to mention only a couple hours from the ocean if that's more your style.
What is it about some posters .... needing to demean OUR NATIONS GREAT LAKES? Honestly, do you know how many miles of the Great Lakes coastline there is? Compared to a Lake Tahoe?

From large cliffs to Great Sand Dunes and Great major cities on them. Although you did not put down Chicago..... the Great Lakes are far from ugly compared to any other lake.

With Gary IN.... I say never say never. Camden NJ is showing signs of bouncing back. Especially on its riverfront opposite Philly.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
What is it about some posters .... needing to demean OUR NATIONS GREAT LAKES? Honestly, do you know how many miles of the Great Lakes coastline there is? Compared to a Lake Tahoe?

From large cliffs to Great Sand Dunes and Great major cities on them. Although you did not put down Chicago..... the Great Lakes are far from ugly compared to any other lake.

With Gary IN.... I say never say never. Camden NJ is showing signs of bouncing back. Especially on its riverfront opposite Philly.
I didn't say the Great Lakes were ugly, I actually said the opposite, specifically said they're pretty. But no Great Lake has picture perfect, crystal clear blue water that you can see 100ft down.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,488,340 times
Quote:
I didn't say the Great Lakes were ugly, I actually said the opposite, specifically said they're pretty. But no Great Lake has picture perfect, crystal clear blue water that you can see 100ft down.
There are many days where, even on the beaches right in the city of Chicago, you can wade pretty far in and see right down to the bottom (of course not 100 ft). But then, the water can still be contaminated even if it is completely transparent.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 AM

3,228 posts, read 1,560,833 times
Quote:
Saying ugly compared to Lake Tahoe ..... I just found comparing Lake Tahoe as superior? Simply was odd and intent was merely to lower the Great Lakes region. I see clear waters on Chicago's beaches on visits and it certainly takes on blue hues varying by depth from above. I have no need to lessen Lake Tahoe. But it doesn't define a whole region as the Great Lakes.

They are what they are and a asset to their states. Perhaps nothing compares to the Caribbean when no hurricanes are formed in blue-green clear waters, white sands and tropical palms and foliage.

But the Great Lakes still do well in getting blue-hues and clarity.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Wow, I seem to have got your panties in quite a twist.

Gary is where the largest freshwater on PLANET EARTH , comes closest to THE SUN, in the midst of the RICHEST soil on the planet.

Also happens to have the nation's largest fire/steel mill.

With this view.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...090726abe1.jpg

Old 09-07-2017, 08:38 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWvVqrfiMvk

The insane beauty of this area includes winter. Gary goes from Caribbean warm blue water to Arctic ice every year
Just because you can't see the ridonculous unique beauty doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Wow, I seem to have got your panties in quite a twist.

Gary is where the largest freshwater on PLANET EARTH , comes closest to THE SUN, in the midst of the RICHEST soil on the planet.

Also happens to have the nation's largest fire/steel mill.

With this view.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...090726abe1.jpg
That's fine and dandy, it's still nowhere near a desirable place on the lists of most people, and won't be anywhere in the near future.

There are plenty of places with a large amount of freshwater supply.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:22 PM

True but only one place on the planet where 1/4 of Sweetwater kisses the sun. The two forces necessary for LIFE, sunshine and freshwater meet right here. Pretty amazing really. But please, steer clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or