U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:52 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,303,876 times

Advertisements

I think NYC is in the perfect spot in NY State. We are the Southernmost part of the State and directly on the Atlantic Ocean. Moving us any farther North would be way too cold and snowy plus it would take us away from the ocean. And then since Brooklyn and Queens are attached to Long Island, they would have to come with us, and I'm not sure how that would work.

But I wish I could bring other parts of NY State closer to here, like Niagara and the Finger Lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 02:07 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
I would put Albuquerque on the Colorado border where Chama, NM is. Up in the mountains where it is cool.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:17 PM

101 posts, read 54,040 times
I would move the state capital of Texas to Conroe.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:38 PM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
I would move downtown Atlanta either a little bit west to the banks of the Chattahoochee or a little bit east to the shadow of Stone Mountain.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:35 PM

70 posts, read 37,855 times
Default Wow! You're really into city repositioning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHighDesert View Post
I'll go first to set an example. I'd move San Diego 20 miles more north than it is now away from the Mexican Border. The coastline is alot more scenic in North SD county.

I'd move Los Angeles 15 miles more West to where Santa Monica currently is today.

San Francisco is perfectly fine where it is.

I'd move Sacramento closer to the Bay Area to make it apart of it's Metropolitan region. I just think it's a waste to have the capitol in a very average landscape location within a very geographically diverse state. Sacramento would function like how Riverside is to LA (many commuters in both directions, both having their own downtowns)

I already know how Florida is going to play out, all the Inland cities like Orlando and Tallahassee are going to want to reposition anywhere on the coast since Inland Florida has nothing unique to offer like mountains.

Everyone in Arizona would want Phoenix where Yuma is to be as close as possible to the glamous California. It'd cut their drive time to San Diego by 2 1/2 hours. Cause lets be honest, nobody from SoCal goes to AZ yet everyone in AZ drives the 6+ hours to our coast to "play in the water" and then drive back another 6 hours to their home.

Texas is going to be interesting because it already has decently sized cities scattered throughout the state so there'd be no reason to reposition any of them.

I never been to Hawaii but i always hear that Honolulu is on the least attractive island out of the other 7 islands within the state

Philadelphia never felt like an East Coast city to me since it's so far Inland. Same with most of inner New Jersey. I'd combine New Jersey and Pennsylvania into one state and put Philly anywhere along the Atlantic. Until then, Philly and DC are midwest where as Baltimore is true East Coast
Before I read what you said about Philly, I didn't know combining states was okay. I agree with moving Philly to the coast. If I couldn't move Philly, I'd probably keep it put, since I don't see an advantage going west near Ohio, north since not much is there I'd want, or south, same thing, just more remote. So move it closer to the east but would it be worth the effort or even the thought?

Old 08-27-2017, 05:47 PM

721 posts, read 298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHighDesert View Post
I'll go first to set an example. I'd move San Diego 20 miles more north than it is now away from the Mexican Border. The coastline is alot more scenic in North SD county.

I'd move Los Angeles 15 miles more West to where Santa Monica currently is today.

San Francisco is perfectly fine where it is.

I'd move Sacramento closer to the Bay Area to make it apart of it's Metropolitan region. I just think it's a waste to have the capitol in a very average landscape location within a very geographically diverse state. Sacramento would function like how Riverside is to LA (many commuters in both directions, both having their own downtowns)

I already know how Florida is going to play out, all the Inland cities like Orlando and Tallahassee are going to want to reposition anywhere on the coast since Inland Florida has nothing unique to offer like mountains.

Everyone in Arizona would want Phoenix where Yuma is to be as close as possible to the glamous California. It'd cut their drive time to San Diego by 2 1/2 hours. Cause lets be honest, nobody from SoCal goes to AZ yet everyone in AZ drives the 6+ hours to our coast to "play in the water" and then drive back another 6 hours to their home.

Texas is going to be interesting because it already has decently sized cities scattered throughout the state so there'd be no reason to reposition any of them.

I never been to Hawaii but i always hear that Honolulu is on the least attractive island out of the other 7 islands within the state

Philadelphia never felt like an East Coast city to me since it's so far Inland. Same with most of inner New Jersey. I'd combine New Jersey and Pennsylvania into one state and put Philly anywhere along the Atlantic. Until then, Philly and DC are midwest where as Baltimore is true East Coast
I guess St Petersburg would be cool in the Miami Metro area.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 AM

16 posts, read 10,585 times
Move Ann Arbor to the Upper Peninsula. This would make a lot of people salty however.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:48 AM

742 posts, read 719,655 times
I would move OKC to southeastern Oklahoma, in a valley of the Ouachita Mountains.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 PM

571 posts, read 842,829 times
I would place Atlanta where Macon is. Closer to the Florida beaches, milder winter...

Old 08-29-2017, 01:01 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,689,094 times
I'd move Albuquerque to where Taos is, mostly because of the weather. I hate hot weather and love snow. Taos is usually 5-7 degrees cooler than Albuquerque in the summer and gets much colder in the winter, which is a plus to me. It also gets much more snow than Albuquerque. I have family in Taos and I've often remarked to them that I wish we had their weather and could move Albuquerque to where Taos is.

But I absolutely love Albuquerque's location otherwise. Its central location in the state is an advantage. Its natural landscape is beautiful and varied, and I wouldn't ever want to change it. Taos has the Rio Grande Gorge as one feature which I would like to keep somehow, but otherwise I'd wish to move everything about Albuquerque to where Taos is just to enjoy its weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or