U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 1,300 times

Advertisements

Hi, currently living in Humboldt County, CA, which has been an amazing area for hiking and walking with our dogs off-leash. For 3 seasons we rotate hikes to the various beaches, forests, and rivers here almost daily. During the winter months there's a lot more gloom, but we still manage to squeeze in a long walk now and then.

Curious about other areas out there with:
- decent home prices below 300K
- within 2 hours of a major airport
- within 2 hours of a major city.

Places we've looked at:

1) Albuquerque due to the low housing prices, but not sure whether we can even take dogs out during the summer months
2) NW Washington: looks like prices are still within our range, but worried about it being gloomy as heck 9 out of the 12 months of the year
3) Tri-cities area of Washington: within our price range but quite far from any major city

Note: we've never lived in a snowy climate, don't know if we'd be able to adjust

I guess I sound really picky! I guess I've been spoiled by California's climate and have slowly realized why it's expensive as heck to buy a house here.

Any info appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 08:09 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,674,615 times
Not near me preferably. My city is full of douches who bring dogs into coffee shops, pay no attention to who they're tripping with their leashes, let dogs bark outside all day, and so on.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:22 PM

17,694 posts, read 4,080,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohobojo View Post
Hi, currently living in Humboldt County, CA, which has been an amazing area for hiking and walking with our dogs off-leash. For 3 seasons we rotate hikes to the various beaches, forests, and rivers here almost daily. During the winter months there's a lot more gloom, but we still manage to squeeze in a long walk now and then.

Curious about other areas out there with:
- decent home prices below 300K
- within 2 hours of a major airport
- within 2 hours of a major city.

Places we've looked at:

1) Albuquerque due to the low housing prices, but not sure whether we can even take dogs out during the summer months
2) NW Washington: looks like prices are still within our range, but worried about it being gloomy as heck 9 out of the 12 months of the year
3) Tri-cities area of Washington: within our price range but quite far from any major city

Note: we've never lived in a snowy climate, don't know if we'd be able to adjust

I guess I sound really picky! I guess I've been spoiled by California's climate and have slowly realized why it's expensive as heck to buy a house here.

Any info appreciated. Thank you.
i think you would be able to take the dogs out during ABQ's summer as they average around 90 degrees.Its a 4 seasons climate.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:37 AM

21,197 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Check out Loveland, Colorado...it's 40 miles north of Denver and about an hour from the airport. Rocky Mountain National Park is about 30 miles to the west for plenty of hiking options. The eastern slope of the Rockies doesn't get massive snow accumulation due to sunnier conditions (over 300 days of sunshine), so even though several inches may fall it melts within a day or two typically. There's a considerable "dog culture" in Colorado in general and also a wide selection of homes under 300K in the greater Loveland area. You would also find a ton of housing options to the east in Greeley (which is booming), but the terrain is much less interesting and more flat/less green.

Summer of AWEsome - Visit Loveland
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...32_rect/10_zm/

Old 08-28-2017, 06:52 PM

5,446 posts, read 2,833,486 times
No dogs allowed on hiking trails in National Parks. For very good reasons.

No experience in snow and fear of dogs being too hot sounds like...where you are is already right!

Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,645,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Loveland, Colorado...it's 40 miles north of Denver and about an hour from the airport. Rocky Mountain National Park is about 30 miles to the west for plenty of hiking options. The eastern slope of the Rockies doesn't get massive snow accumulation due to sunnier conditions (over 300 days of sunshine), so even though several inches may fall it melts within a day or two typically. There's a considerable "dog culture" in Colorado in general and also a wide selection of homes under 300K in the greater Loveland area. You would also find a ton of housing options to the east in Greeley (which is booming), but the terrain is much less interesting and more flat/less green.

Summer of AWEsome - Visit Loveland
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...32_rect/10_zm/
It doesn't have to be Loveland Colorado. People all over CO are crazy about dogs. Pick anywhere in the state and you'll instantly be around numerous dog lovers. There's a lot of areas within a 2-2.5 hour radius of DIA that would fit the bill.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:04 PM

6,563 posts, read 10,277,227 times
Two caveats about Colorado and dogs -
  1. Many large Front Range cities have breed-specific legislation.
  2. Leashes are required on a vast majority of the dog-friendly hiking trails.

#2 is a huge pet peeve of mine. I (and others) don't care how friendly or well-behaved your pooch is. If he's off-leash in an area where leashes are required (or you're hiking with him in an area where dogs aren't allowed) you're being an irresponsible pet owner and you'll likely get called out for it.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:52 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,771,019 times
I find that any city that is hip and majority white will let you bring dogs EVERYWHERE.
Maybe Tacoma or Colorado Springs? Eugene?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or