U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:13 AM

23,095 posts, read 35,044,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

There are a lot of self-proclaimed libertarians whose "libertarianism" comes with a lot of caveats.
Also true. I've heard them called libertarians with a lower case "L".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:28 AM

2,797 posts, read 1,641,289 times
Quote:
Yep. That is the meaning of choice in pro-choice.

If they are real Libertarians, then they are free market purists. If they are free market purists, they are for open borders.

There are a lot of self-proclaimed libertarians whose "libertarianism" comes with a lot of caveats.
I've been on a lot of Libertarian forums and what not. A lot of Libertarians support the stance on just about everything but open borders. The main reason is that open borders have been proven to fail in Europe. Having strong defense is also important to the Libertarian stance. Having completely closed borders or strict immigration policies is obviously anti-libertarian though.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Also true. I've heard them called libertarians with a lower case "L".
Not going to lie I might be a republican if it wasn't for all the Neo-con authoritarians who secretly run the party. And of course you know who as president who I will never support. Essentially I support what the Republican party use to be if you know what I mean.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:58 AM

678 posts, read 692,818 times
Quote:
Yep. That is the meaning of choice in pro-choice.

If they are real Libertarians, then they are free market purists. If they are free market purists, they are for open borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I've been on a lot of Libertarian forums and what not. A lot of Libertarians support the stance on just about everything but open borders. The main reason is that open borders have been proven to fail in Europe. Having strong defense is also important to the Libertarian stance. Having completely closed borders or strict immigration policies is obviously anti-libertarian though.

I think some Libertarians don't support open borders because of welfare. Of course with Libertarians, just like with all parties, you'll get people who are more left-leaning and those who are more right-leaning.

All Libertarian debates eventually end up with claiming that somebody is not "as Libertarian" as somebody else

Old 08-30-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
I think some Libertarians don't support open borders because of welfare. Of course with Libertarians, just like with all parties, you'll get people who are more left-leaning and those who are more right-leaning.

All Libertarian debates eventually end up with claiming that somebody is not "as Libertarian" as somebody else
Pretty much

Old 08-30-2017, 12:11 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Quote:
And support a woman's right to choose. And very loose borders/free immigration.

In many ways Libertarians are not on the same page as Republicans.
I wasn't aware of the loose immigration ideology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
i know you hate Austin, but look up some facts. Travis county was the only county where the majority of white voters voted for Hilary. Libertarian is very live and let live. They don't care about gays getting married and want low taxes, so yes, some Austin citizens like that. It's not a welfare state.
I don't hate Austin, definitely don't love it though. All I said was that I got that feeling of libertarian when I was there. And by that, I describe the people I saw and interacted with as likely Republicans who smoke weed. Welfare state? Why did you mention that.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:25 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,609,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I will still call them Republicans who smoke weed. Austin felt like that to me very much so.
But in reality Austin is Democrats who smoke weed.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:28 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I wasn't aware of the loose immigration ideology.

I don't hate Austin, definitely don't love it though. All I said was that I got that feeling of libertarian when I was there. And by that, I describe the people I saw and interacted with as likely Republicans who smoke weed. Welfare state? Why did you mention that.
Why would Republicans who smoke weed vote for Hillary? I mentioned welfare state because you called Austinites "republicans," so I thought you thought they were anti-government services (libertarian).

Austin was the only county in Texas where the white vote went to Hillary. She is the opposite of libertarian, polar opposite.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:29 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
But in reality Austin is Democrats who smoke weed.
Not quite as liberal as the coasts, but more liberal than most southern cities, again, especially among white voters.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,238,357 times
Austin is a city, not a county. Someone white out in rural Travis County may not always have the same political views as someone white in the city of Austin. Same within Dallas County -- white person in Sachse, TX not necessarily the same as a white person in the city of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or