Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:51 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Based on an aggregate of things, Louisiana, Missouri, and Nevada seem to be the most libertarian to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 07:22 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Houston could easily qualify as the country's most libertarian metro. Houston has no zoning, the major sentiment being that no one can tell me what to do with my property. As a result, it is a developers' paradise. This has resulted in ever-expanding concrete urban sprawl (an area the size of NJ, I read this morning) which is one of the top factors contributing to this week's historic flood.

City planners and politicians will be examining all of this at length as they begin addressing the city's recovery. This would be a good time to consider the downsides of the city's "build anything anywhere" DNA and bring a greater level of maturity to its model of urban development, befitting that of our country's fourth largest city.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:44 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'd say 2/3 of the people who label themselves "libertarian" are basically "conservative-light". They pretty much always vote republican but don't want to be labeled Republican because it's more trendy and makes an individual look less bias therefor "more informed" to call themselves "libertarian"

One of the most annoying groups of ideological groupies. There are copious amounts of them everywhere. I'd imagine no area of the country can claim monopoly.
Well, as someone of this persuasion, it's not because it's trendy. It's because it's more accurate as to where my views actually are.

Not neo-cons, not social cons, okay (sometimes) with raising taxes - not everything can be answered with "more tax cuts"......or bombing the hell out of people. (sigh).

However, pro-freedom, pro-people, pro-"live and let live."

I get that I'm more on the right than Left, but that's because the Left has basically pushed out most pro-life, conservative Democrats these days. So - I don't really want to belong to a party that doesn't want anything to do with people like me....I don't need to be a martyr.

I'd love an alternative, but haven't found one, so I'm stuck with "Libertarian Republican" by default - after finding reasons to eliminate a long list of labels. I really don't fit into either label really well these days, but it's what I've got to work with.

Personally, I tend to find the Tea Party groupies the most annoying, but to each their own, right? I'm so glad I got out of activism before I started having to deal with the Trumpers and anti-Trumpers on a regular basis.

My guess is that it would be a city in the West that's more Libertarian because here in the East - most people really believe in the virtues of government and all that it can do for them.

I just haven't traveled extensively in the West to have a better sense of where. I loved Alaska because it was very libertarian. Las Vegas, I was too busy getting married to really care if the city had a libertarian bent or not.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Well, as someone of this persuasion, it's not because it's trendy. It's because it's more accurate as to where my views actually are.

Not neo-cons, not social cons, okay (sometimes) with raising taxes - not everything can be answered with "more tax cuts"......or bombing the hell out of people. (sigh).

However, pro-freedom, pro-people, pro-"live and let live."

I get that I'm more on the right than Left, but that's because the Left has basically pushed out most pro-life, conservative Democrats these days. So - I don't really want to belong to a party that doesn't want anything to do with people like me....I don't need to be a martyr.

I'd love an alternative, but haven't found one, so I'm stuck with "Libertarian Republican" by default - after finding reasons to eliminate a long list of labels. I really don't fit into either label really well these days, but it's what I've got to work with.

Personally, I tend to find the Tea Party groupies the most annoying, but to each their own, right? I'm so glad I got out of activism before I started having to deal with the Trumpers and anti-Trumpers on a regular basis.

My guess is that it would be a city in the West that's more Libertarian because here in the East - most people really believe in the virtues of government and all that it can do for them.

I just haven't traveled extensively in the West to have a better sense of where. I loved Alaska because it was very libertarian. Las Vegas, I was too busy getting married to really care if the city had a libertarian bent or not.
A conservative Democrat these days is Clinton and Pelosi. And the party is full of them. I don't think you need a label though, just tell people you're in the middle.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:51 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
A lot of self described libertarians are regular conservatives who will disagree with mainstream Republicans on 1 or 2 issues (like foreign policy) but always vote Republican anyway. The "Being Libertarian" page on facebook is a great example of this.
That page has definitely drifted a bit too far to the right.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:45 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Phoenix is Libertarian for sure.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:55 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Phoenix has always been described as libertarian. A very "live and let live" culture.

But pretty much any liberal area in a conservative state is decent for libertarians. They keep each other in check.

Most Texas cities are not very libertarian, the taxes are way too high, especially property taxes.
Phoenix is starting to do much worse on social rights. For an example, abortion rights were recently cut back for Arizonans. We couldn't get the bill to pass legal marijuana.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:31 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Houston could easily qualify as the country's most libertarian metro. Houston has no zoning, the major sentiment being that no one can tell me what to do with my property. As a result, it is a developers' paradise. This has resulted in ever-expanding concrete urban sprawl (an area the size of NJ, I read this morning) which is one of the top factors contributing to this week's historic flood.

City planners and politicians will be examining all of this at length as they begin addressing the city's recovery. This would be a good time to consider the downsides of the city's "build anything anywhere" DNA and bring a greater level of maturity to its model of urban development, befitting that of our country's fourth largest city.
Houston is libertarian. One of the largest populations living in unincorporated areas in relatively weak county governments. No zoning, very pro immigration, small police force for city size, 228 officers per 100,000 people. As others have said areas like fort Bend County is a developer paradise. Tons of Fortune 500 companies because of Texas reputation as a pro-business state. Only thing it needs to do is drugs, prostitution and lower fines for various offences like tickets etcetera, lower taxes in general.

About the New Jersey thing, Houston is not the size of New Jersey, it's just that in the case of Waller, Brazoria and even Montgomery county one or two suburbs are located at the edge of these counties. In fact Harris County, the core county has dozens of square miles of undeveloped land in the NE and NW and smaller patches everywhere. Brazoria is 1,358 square miles but because the 47 square mile suburb of Pearland is at the northern edge of Pearland the entire 1,358 square miles is included.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...!4d-95.4777811

Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Based on an aggregate of things, Louisiana, Missouri, and Nevada seem to be the most libertarian to me.
Missouri outside of STL and KC is in the middle of the Bible Belt, so I would disagree with that.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Manchester is basically the only metro in New Hampshire. NH seems to want low taxes and don't care about social issues. That is what I thought Libertarian was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.