U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:12 PM

4,235 posts, read 2,508,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
I forgot about Ann Arbor! Ooooohhh... yes!!!! Does the OP love football? Ann Arbor is beautiful.
My initial thought was also TC (because I'm always thing about Traverse ) but for some reason I don't think it would quite fit for the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:18 PM

1,256 posts, read 541,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
My initial thought was also TC (because I'm always thing about Traverse ) but for some reason I don't think it would quite fit for the OP.
I'm always thinking about Michigan in general (my home state) and hope we can move back!

Old 08-30-2017, 01:00 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times
Quote:
I was wondering where those posts went ... something about Maryland and North Indy.

The images got the post deleted, but definitely check out Ellicott City MD, Old Town VA, Frederick MD, Columbia MD, Annapolis MD.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 23 days ago)

2,114 posts, read 588,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps a place like East Lansing MI. It has all of that and Lansing is also adjacent, with Detroit, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids all within an hour/hour and a half. With Michigan State University in town, it offers quite a few events for most of the year and there are events during the summer as well. It is also a diverse community with very good schools. I'd say that the neighborhoods north/NW of its Downtown would be a good place to look. https://www.cityofeastlansing.com/721/Downtown

East Lansing Public Schools

For big box shopping, you can go east down Grand River Avenue to Okemos and the Meridian Mall, as well as other stores or here: Eastwood Towne Center :: US 127 & Lake Lansing Road, Lansing, MI. 48912 :: 517-316-9209

This is a project proposed for its Downtown: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ing/100378562/
East Lansing huh? I have never even really though about East Lansing, but I can imagine that there would be plenty to do with a major university in town. May be worth a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Ann Arbor, MI
Lancaster, PA
Kent, OH
Now Lancaster is one city that we have on our tentative list. Seems like it could check most of our boxes. Haven't looked into school though. Kent I am not too familiar with, other than to know it is in northeast Ohio.

Quote:
I forgot about Ann Arbor! Ooooohhh... yes!!!! Does the OP love football? Ann Arbor is beautiful.
Well, I LIKE football, but my husband LOVES football! I don't know that the folks in Ann Arbor would like us much though, considering we are Alabama fans... I hear it is a lovely city though, so I may pay it a visit anyways.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 23 days ago)

2,114 posts, read 588,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
The images got the post deleted, but definitely check out Ellicott City MD, Old Town VA, Frederick MD, Columbia MD, Annapolis MD.
Yea, I was in the middle of typing up a post to you, hit submit, and it was gone.... Weird...

The pictures were great though. Ellicott City I have seen on a few lists of good places to live. I know a family that moved here from Annapolis, so I can check with them on it.

I am not familiar with any of these cities though, so any info would be appreciated.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:15 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,536,734 times
Ann Arbor sounds like a good fit for you. Especially if you are not concerned about COL.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:33 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's;493[URL="http://www.merriweathermusic.com/schedule/"
[/url]64756]Yea, I was in the middle of typing up a post to you, hit submit, and it was gone.... Weird...

The pictures were great though. Ellicott City I have seen on a few lists of good places to live. I know a family that moved here from Annapolis, so I can check with them on it.

I am not familiar with any of these cities though, so any info would be appreciated.
Old Town Alexandria is just 20 minutes south of DC but it was a city prior to DC being develop so it is very walkable with lots of shops, 2 metro stops, just 15 mins south of Reagan airport and it is very quaint in a old school charm kind of a way - reminiscent of Philly/Boston in some aspects. The area is very wealthy with a beautiful waterfront with lots of boating options on the Potomac and traffic is bad but the area itself doesn't feel hectic.
https://www.visitalexandriava.com/old-town-alexandria/
https://www.tripsavvy.com/walking-to...andria-1040412

Columbia is pretty much your suburb that is very diverse and very nice! It was the first planned suburban community and is nestled directly in between DC and Balt. It's fairly walkable and people walk to Merriweather Pavilion all the time to catch concerts and shows. It's also close to BWI airport.
Merriweather Post Pavilion Schedule
Downtown Columbia

Frederick is more like Old Town, old school charm with a walkable core but is a bit more removed. It's nestled in the rolling foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in "almost" Western MD. It's like it's own sphere within the area since it's a bit removed. Outdoor activity wise, this is your best bet.
https://www.visitfrederick.org/
https://www.cityoffrederick.com/

All of the above are safe with good school districts.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:03 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,492,098 times
Quote:
Yes, the Cherry Festival! Traverse City (population 15,000) has so much to offer and so much to do year round. Great historic district with shopping, boutiques, award winning restaurants, boating, fall colors. The nearest big City is Grand Rapids (population 196,000), 4 hours South. Or Detroit.

Minneapolis is great, too. You might check out some of the surrounding suburbs. I think it gets more snow than Michigan, though. Do you ski?
Just a quick fact check Grand Rapids (anchoring a million person metro area) is only about 2 hours from Traverse. You can make it in less than 2 if you go the "Michigan speed limit".

The thing to keep in mind about Traverse City is that while it's city population is 15,000, it really anchors an immediate urban area of about 70,000 people. It is also the center of commerce for pretty much the entire northern half of the lower peninsula and parts of the eastern UP. It has the retail offerings that a 500k metro has. Given it's reputation as a place where celebrities and other wealthy elites keep summer homes it's restaurant offerings are probably equal too or greater than metros several times larger. It's airport is the 4th busiest in Michigan for passenger traffic after Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Flint. It handles more passengers than cities like Lansing, Kalamazoo, and MBS. So while it is a quaint city of 15k people, that number is deceiving as it offers a substantially different experience than you would normally get in an isolated city of 15k people.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:06 PM

1,256 posts, read 541,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Just a quick fact check Grand Rapids is only about 2 hours from Traverse. (You can make it in less than 2 if you go the "Michigan speed limit".)

The thing to keep in mind about Traverse City is that while it's city population is 15,000, it really anchors an immediate urban area of about 70,000 people. It is also the center of commerce for pretty much the entire northern half of the lower peninsula and parts of the eastern UP. It has the retail offerings that a 500k metro has. Given it's reputation as a place where celebrities and other wealthy elites keep summer homes it's restaurant offerings are probably equal too or greater than metros several times larger. It's airport is the 4th busiest in Michigan for passenger traffic after Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Flint. It handles more passengers than cities like Lansing, Kalamazoo, and MBS. So while it is a quaint city of 15k people, that number is deceiving as it offers a substantial different experience than you would normally get in an isolated city of 15k people.
You're right! I was calculating the distance to Grand Rapids from my hometown (Cheboygan) instead of from TC ... duh! Thanks for correcting me! I'll go back and see if I can edit that.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:26 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
In terms of a smaller city that would fit, Ithaca NY also comes to mind. It fits pretty much everything on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.