U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:47 AM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 20 days ago)

2,065 posts, read 584,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Since you mentioned schools as an aspect, this walkable community SE of Rochester NY is the most affluent school district north of the NYC metro area in the state($108,236 median household income in 2014) and is usually viewed as being the "best" school district in Upstate NY: https://www.pittsfordschools.org

Village of Pittsford: Home Page
There is a town(ship) of the same name as well: Homepage | Town of Pittsford, New York

This is in the village: https://theurbanphoenix.com/2017/06/24/pittsford/
https://rocwiki.org/Schoen_Place

You can go into Rochester for more including the Strong Museum of Play, a bunch of sporting events, arts based events, festivals(inc. a big Jazz festival and the Lilac Festival) and plenty of history. Visit Rochester | Rochester, NY

If the spouse likes Football, there's NFL Football about an hour or so away and major Division 1 Football an hour or so the other way.
Oh, my hubby loves pretty much all sports. He played football, baseball, basketball, and rugby in high school, baseball in college, and currently helps coach a soccer team in the spring, and football team in the fall. So being close to sports is definitely on his list of wants!

I have heard the Rochester area mentioned before in threads similar to mine, so I will definitely add it to the list to check out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm4226 View Post
Pittsburgh seems like it could be a good option, a city really making a revival and very "hilly". You get all the amenities of a big city without it being SUPER urban. Also much better cost of living then D.C. and other places in the Northeast.
I have heard that Pittsburgh is making quite the comeback. My husbands company is headquartered in the Pittsburgh area, so that would certainly be a potential plus. Are there any areas/towns you would recommend specifically?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:05 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Oh, my hubby loves pretty much all sports. He played football, baseball, basketball, and rugby in high school, baseball in college, and currently helps coach a soccer team in the spring, and football team in the fall. So being close to sports is definitely on his list of wants!

I have heard the Rochester area mentioned before in threads similar to mine, so I will definitely add it to the list to check out!
Just to let you know, the area does have AAA Baseball, lower level Pro Soccer, AHL and Division 1 Hockey, pro indoor and outdoor Lacrosse and lower level pro Basketball. As mentioned before, high level pro and college Football can be found in Buffalo and Syracuse. So, he would have plenty of sporting events to choose from.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 AM

408 posts, read 245,343 times
I'd second Traverse City or Grand Rapids. Someone mentioned East Lansing - also a good place but not as much natural beauty as Traverse City. Grand Rapids is closer to the beaches of Lake Michigan which are gorgeous.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:11 PM

10 posts, read 3,818 times
Pittsburgh would seem to meet most of your criteria.

We returned to the city after a 14 year absence, and have not sat still since we arrived. It is eclectic (in every sense of the word), with a decent cost of living and a real community spirit. Much more so than when we left. Friendly people and a large proportion of young people living in and reviving older neighborhoods.

As an example, last Tuesday we attended a free classic movie screening that the Warhol Museum hosted on a rooftop downtown. This was combined with an outdoor market, live (and very entertaining) music and food trucks and beer. On Saturday we went to the Festival of Combustion (who could resist) at the site of an abandoned former blast furnace in Rankin. Again, food, beer and music, but the added lure of demonstrations in glassmaking, blacksmithing, iron work, ceramics and more: Festival of Combustion 2017 | Rivers of Steel Arts This area is now designated as a national park heritage preserve (Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area): https://www.nps.gov/rist/index.htm This would have been unimaginable 20 years ago.

There is still a lot of poverty in these former manufacturing areas, but there is an identity that many people have with their past that inspires them to preserve it and share it. To me it is a fascinating area that is embracing its past with a steady eye on its future.

The two things that most people complain abut are property taxes and the lack of job openings outside of the tech and service industries. I am not sure what company your husband works for, but assuming he can relocate, I think the biggest stumbling block would be surmounted.

There is a website called Next Pittsburgh that will give you some insight (it is a little "cheerleady" in its approach). If not completely balanced, it does seem to be accurate: NEXTpittsburgh - Pittsburgh news, events, neighborhoods

Good luck to you!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red Bear View Post
Pittsburgh would seem to meet most of your criteria.

We returned to the city after a 14 year absence, and have not sat still since we arrived. It is eclectic (in every sense of the word), with a decent cost of living and a real community spirit. Much more so than when we left. Friendly people and a large proportion of young people living in and reviving older neighborhoods.

As an example, last Tuesday we attended a free classic movie screening that the Warhol Museum hosted on a rooftop downtown. This was combined with an outdoor market, live (and very entertaining) music and food trucks and beer. On Saturday we went to the Festival of Combustion (who could resist) at the site of an abandoned former blast furnace in Rankin. Again, food, beer and music, but the added lure of demonstrations in glassmaking, blacksmithing, iron work, ceramics and more: Festival of Combustion 2017 | Rivers of Steel Arts This area is now designated as a national park heritage preserve (Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area): https://www.nps.gov/rist/index.htm This would have been unimaginable 20 years ago.

There is still a lot of poverty in these former manufacturing areas, but there is an identity that many people have with their past that inspires them to preserve it and share it. To me it is a fascinating area that is embracing its past with a steady eye on its future.

The two things that most people complain abut are property taxes and the lack of job openings outside of the tech and service industries. I am not sure what company your husband works for, but assuming he can relocate, I think the biggest stumbling block would be surmounted.

There is a website called Next Pittsburgh that will give you some insight (it is a little "cheerleady" in its approach). If not completely balanced, it does seem to be accurate: NEXTpittsburgh - Pittsburgh news, events, neighborhoods

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the reply!

Pittsburgh does seem to be a city headed in the right direction! His company is headquartered in the Pittsburgh area (not Pitt itself, but about 20-30 miles south I believe), and would probably be willing to let him transfer up there, but we don't know with 100% certainty on that. They are big into transferring and promoting from within, and he has been offered positions in other locations previously though, so it is definitely possible.

Is there a certain area/city/town you would recommend?

Old 09-07-2017, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 3,818 times
If looking south of the city (the area is known as the South Hills generally), the better school districts are Upper St. Clair, South Fayette, and Mt. Lebanon.

As for walkable communities, it is hard to beat Mt. Lebanon. In addition to a thriving commercial district, the light rail train has a station there that will get you to the city in about 20 mins., from which point you can access all the activities, festivals and great bike trails within the city limits.

Niche (a Pittsburgh start-up), has a good ratings system for places and schools: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...gh-metro-area/

A somewhat underrated area in the South Hills is Bethel Park. Housing is more affordable than some of the surrounding areas, but it has light rail service directly to the area so you can be downtown in about 35 minutes and enjoy the amenities mentioned above. It also has a spur to the Montour Trail, which connects to the Great Allegeheny Passage trail and ultimately on to the C&O Towpath trail to Washington, DC. So you can actually bike from Bethel Park (or any other south east suburbs on the route of the Montour Trail) to D.C. without ever tiding on a road. Actually there is a 2-3 mile section near South Park where you have to share the road, but that is it. The downside is that there really isn't a town center, and if you are driving every day to downtown . . . well . . . good luck! It is a lot of stop and go on two lane roads. But it sounds like your husband's commute would be in the opposite direction. So that might work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.