U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2017, 09:39 PM
 
1,614 posts, read 1,062,657 times
Reputation: 587

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Has anyone lived on ... and left ... the Gulf Coast (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas)?

If so, where did you move ... and why?

Do you miss it or regret leaving?

We've been on the GC of Mississippi for 6-1/2 years. Our town was destroyed by Katrina. I'm so tired of living with anxiety about hurricanes 6 months of every year. We are very low lying, we flood with Tropical Storms and Cat 1's, imagine Cat 3 or higher? Anyway ... I want out. I need a stable SAFE climate, 4 distinct seasons, fall leaves, clean fresh water, cooler temps, and no poisonous snakes. That leaves a handful of states I'm looking at.
Anywhere you move they will most likely be some type of weather issues. North East has major snow storms and look at what Sandy did. Midwest has tornados. Cali has earthquakes. You make the best out of it w.e you live

 
Old 08-31-2017, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,256 posts, read 542,553 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Anywhere you move they will most likely be some type of weather issues. North East has major snow storms and look at what Sandy did. Midwest has tornados. Cali has earthquakes. You make the best out of it w.e you live
I lived in Northern Michigan for 36 years, born and raised. Snow is nothing. Only tiny tornadoes there, rarely. I think it's the water down here that bothers me the most, I have a fear of deep water, so the flooding we get puts me in anxiety attacks.
 
Old 08-31-2017, 08:58 AM
 
Location: USA
17,786 posts, read 8,885,707 times
Reputation: 13317
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've only lived in Baton Rouge, Houston, and now New Orleans but I'll be in Denver by January. I'm going to miss everything about New Orleans but nothing about the south or flood water. Gonna hate the snow though. Oh well.


I lived in the Denver burbs, and the typical snow fall along the Front Range is a few inches in the morning, that melts by Noon, or early afternoon. The sun is very strong, and most winter days are cloudless, and many in the 50F - 65F range. I have played golf in shirt sleeves in Jan/Feb. Yes there is the occasional dumping, and/or frigid temps. If you don't like the weather in CO, just wait 20 minutes, and it will change.
 
Old 08-31-2017, 09:29 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,503 posts, read 14,330,903 times
Reputation: 23342
I'm originally from MI, spent a fair amt of time in the UP, I have lived along the coast in AL, FL, and TX and been through several hurricanes. Now I'm a halfback living in the foothills of east TN and I love it, it reminds me a lot of MI with the many trees, lakes, rivers, and waterfalls. The weather is great, a little more hot & humid than MI in the summer, but nothing like the gulf area, a bit of snow here and there and several weeks each of fall and spring, and not really much in the way of natural disasters other than maybe an occasional tornado. The thing we don't have is larger cities, so it can be a challenge to find a job, but if that doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem I think it would be worth it to you to look along the I-81 corridor in TN and VA, and in far western NC
 
Old 08-31-2017, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,145,040 times
Reputation: 7505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Has anyone lived on ... and left ... the Gulf Coast (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas)?

Do you miss it or regret leaving?
My family left one of those states. YES! we definitely miss our former Gulf Coast state, and do now regret leaving.

It was okay at first where we moved. We "upgraded" to a safer area, with four seasons, and a pleasant climate. It was fun at first getting a whole new scenery and environment to learn about, and the newness of it all was interesting. We moved to a much smaller town, and it was nice to be able to get wherever we needed to go quickly and easily.

But none of the above really matters. For one thing, people are VERY different. We feel like aliens on a different planet. People are cold and rude. You can say a simple "Hi" or "Hello" to a stranger (like in the warm spirit of the south), and they will either look at you and not say anything, or they won't even look at you (as though you're not there). Sometimes they give off an air of disgust, as though you are dirt and not worth even acknowledging.

Jobs have been difficult too, not that they don't exist, but because local employers heavily prefer and insist on natives and long-timers. It's as though the natives are elite and worthy, and others are subpar. Many people here have fakeness whereby they smile, and outwardly act as a friend, but inside despise you for being different and tainting their area.

There have been other issues too that I won't go into. But we love to return to our roots and be among people that are just like us. It's beautiful. My impressions of my hometown are now completely different. Positives and assets that were there before that I ignored, now are in clear view. My assumptions and high expectations of other areas of the country are now are of lesser value, and put into proper perspective.

Good luck on your relocation plans, but be very careful of what you're not seeing now, and what you might get yourself into. I'd strongly recommend not moving farther than a day's drive from where you are now (or are from).

The Gulf Coast is in my veins, and I now nothing that nothing will remove that. I'm not fighting it anymore, but instead, fully embracing it. The homesickness will eventually go away, because I will return some day...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-31-2017 at 09:47 AM..
 
Old 08-31-2017, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Monument,CO
352 posts, read 291,842 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've only lived in Baton Rouge, Houston, and now New Orleans but I'll be in Denver by January. I'm going to miss everything about New Orleans but nothing about the south or flood water. Gonna hate the snow though. Oh well.
There's very little snow in Denver, but Colorado is no paradise. Good luck with the move.
 
Old 08-31-2017, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,771,019 times
Reputation: 8804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I lived in the Denver burbs, and the typical snow fall along the Front Range is a few inches in the morning, that melts by Noon, or early afternoon. The sun is very strong, and most winter days are cloudless, and many in the 50F - 65F range. I have played golf in shirt sleeves in Jan/Feb. Yes there is the occasional dumping, and/or frigid temps. If you don't like the weather in CO, just wait 20 minutes, and it will change.
So icy slush on the ground? Or just water? Yeah it's was weird when I went in late May, the temps went down to the 40s but I was shocked because it felt like it was in the 60s to me and I do remember feeling the sun more than at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
There's very little snow in Denver, but Colorado is no paradise. Good luck with the move.
Paradise is subjective, appreciate it.
 
Old 08-31-2017, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,256 posts, read 542,553 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
My family left one of those states. YES! we definitely miss our former Gulf Coast state, and do now regret leaving.

It was okay at first where we moved. We "upgraded" to a safer area, with four seasons, and a pleasant climate. It was fun at first getting a whole new scenery and environment to learn about, and the newness of it all was interesting. We moved to a much smaller town, and it was nice to be able to get wherever we needed to go quickly and easily.

But none of the above really matters. For one thing, people are VERY different. We feel like aliens on a different planet. People are cold and rude. You can say a simple "Hi" or "Hello" to a stranger (like in the warm spirit of the south), and they will either look at you and not say anything, or they won't even look at you (as though you're not there). Sometimes they give off an air of disgust, as though you are dirt and not worth even acknowledging.

Jobs have been difficult too, not that they don't exist, but because local employers heavily prefer and insist on natives and long-timers. It's as though the natives are elite and worthy, and others are subpar. Many people here have fakeness whereby they smile, and outwardly act as a friend, but inside despise you for being different and tainting their area.

There have been other issues too that I won't go into. But we love to return to our roots and be among people that are just like us. It's beautiful. My impressions of my hometown are now completely different. Positives and assets that were there before that I ignored, now are in clear view. My assumptions and high expectations of other areas of the country are now are of lesser value, and put into proper perspective.

Good luck on your relocation plans, but be very careful of what you're not seeing now, and what you might get yourself into. I'd strongly recommend not moving farther than a day's drive from where you are now (or are from).

The Gulf Coast is in my veins, and I now nothing that nothing will remove that. I'm not fighting it anymore, but instead, fully embracing it. The homesickness will eventually go away, because I will return some day...
If you don't mind sharing, which state did you relocate to?

Our plans changed overnight. We will be moving to Diamondhead, MS ... at an elevation between 75-95' above sea level ... an area that had minimal damage from Katrina.

There are several pools, so my kids can swim again ... a big, securely fenced backyard for them to play, and our dog can keep the snakes away back there. I will be able to have a fire pit again! And it's very clean and well maintained up there. So, it's not Michigan ... but it gives me much peace of mind, versus living at 10' above sea level.
 
Old 08-31-2017, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,771,019 times
Reputation: 8804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
My family left one of those states. YES! we definitely miss our former Gulf Coast state, and do now regret leaving.

It was okay at first where we moved. We "upgraded" to a safer area, with four seasons, and a pleasant climate. It was fun at first getting a whole new scenery and environment to learn about, and the newness of it all was interesting. We moved to a much smaller town, and it was nice to be able to get wherever we needed to go quickly and easily.

But none of the above really matters. For one thing, people are VERY different. We feel like aliens on a different planet. People are cold and rude. You can say a simple "Hi" or "Hello" to a stranger (like in the warm spirit of the south), and they will either look at you and not say anything, or they won't even look at you (as though you're not there). Sometimes they give off an air of disgust, as though you are dirt and not worth even acknowledging.

Jobs have been difficult too, not that they don't exist, but because local employers heavily prefer and insist on natives and long-timers. It's as though the natives are elite and worthy, and others are subpar. Many people here have fakeness whereby they smile, and outwardly act as a friend, but inside despise you for being different and tainting their area.

There have been other issues too that I won't go into. But we love to return to our roots and be among people that are just like us. It's beautiful. My impressions of my hometown are now completely different. Positives and assets that were there before that I ignored, now are in clear view. My assumptions and high expectations of other areas of the country are now are of lesser value, and put into proper perspective.

Good luck on your relocation plans, but be very careful of what you're not seeing now, and what you might get yourself into. I'd strongly recommend not moving farther than a day's drive from where you are now (or are from).

The Gulf Coast is in my veins, and I now nothing that nothing will remove that. I'm not fighting it anymore, but instead, fully embracing it. The homesickness will eventually go away, because I will return some day...
Where did you come from and where did you go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
If you don't mind sharing, which state did you relocate to?

Our plans changed overnight. We will be moving to Diamondhead, MS ... at an elevation between 75-95' above sea level ... an area that had minimal damage from Katrina.

There are several pools, so my kids can swim again ... a big, securely fenced backyard for them to play, and our dog can keep the snakes away back there. I will be able to have a fire pit again! And it's very clean and well maintained up there. So, it's not Michigan ... but it gives me much peace of mind, versus living at 10' above sea level.
Check a flood map, elevation doesn't necessarily mean anything. Areas that never flooded in Baton Rouge saw 8ft of water last August.
 
Old 08-31-2017, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,145,040 times
Reputation: 7505
->Centenial State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top