U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:57 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,878,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Thank you. Water moccasins are a huge nuisance down here, they live in our ditches and the bayou behind our house, so they come into our yard every time it rains. I hate hate hate snakes anyway ... but poisonous snakes in my yard is unacceptable, with 5 kids who enjoy being outdoors. Michigan's weather is perfect for me, lived there 36 years. Only one poisonous snake, never seen by most people who live there.

We've decided to stay down here. I posted about it up there ^^^. I think you are the 2nd person to mention the Piedmont region, I'm going to check it out ... thanks!
I haven't heard of anyone having issues with poisonous snakes in their yards, or in our lakes, but there has been issues with people getting bit while hiking in the woods and what not. The Piedmont, or US in general, is still nothing compared to say the Outback.

Yes check out the Peidmont. From Birmingham to Raleigh. Safe, booming region with some of the most abundant greenery and tree cover in the US. Atlanta has the most tree cover of any major city, and Charlotte is next. Makes for great fall colors to go along with generally great fall weather.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:12 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Quote:
Explain to me what a flood map tells that an elevation map won't? Were the areas that flooded in Baton Rouge (for the first time ever) on the flood map? How can I be certain that there is zero chance of water getting into my house? That's what I want to know. If I have to move to North Kiln at 100' elevation with no water around for miles, I will. Diamondhead is supposed to be the highest elevation on the coast.
I shouldn't be the one to explain the difference, I just don't want you to think you moved to an area that won't flood and bam, it floods. My brother lives in Houston and made sure his house doesn't flood, he's high and dry right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
What you should have said is that elevation isn't everything. I mean... places in the Rockies have flash flooding. BUT, living at 5 feet above sea level on the Florida coast vs., say, living at 70 feet above 15 miles inland... yeah I'm betting that the inland place has a higher likelihood of not getting inundated with water. But it all depends.
Yes, you're right. I love below sea level and my area doesn't flood in heavy rain like other areas of New Orleans.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:17 PM

1,256 posts, read 541,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I shouldn't be the one to explain the difference, I just don't want you to think you moved to an area that won't flood and bam, it floods. My brother lives in Houston and made sure his house doesn't flood, he's high and dry right now.

Yes, you're right. I love below sea level and my area doesn't flood in heavy rain like other areas of New Orleans.
So happy your brother is safe!!! Yes, we're doing our homework and everything we can to make SURE we stay high and dry, as much as possible.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
So happy your brother is safe!!! Yes, we're doing our homework and everything we can to make SURE we stay high and dry, as much as possible.
Thanks. Good luck to ya.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:53 PM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
I've only lived in Baton Rouge, Houston, and now New Orleans but I'll be in Denver by January. I'm going to miss everything about New Orleans but nothing about the south or flood water. Gonna hate the snow though. Oh well.
are you coming for work? Why come if you hate snow?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:55 PM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Loved in Corpus Christi for close to thirty years. Glad to be gone.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:28 AM

1,256 posts, read 541,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Loved in Corpus Christi for close to thirty years. Glad to be gone.
I imagine so, after this past week! Our move to Diamondhead isn't intended be our forever home, it's more or less a band aid to afford me some peace of mind, being on much higher ground while we are down here. We still have the dastardly hot weather to contend with, and the expense / major inconvenience of evacuating for hurricanes. It's not at all ideal, but it's our reality for now.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
are you coming for work? Why come if you hate snow?
I don't hate snow, it's just gonna take a while to get used to anything other than pure humidity and sweat.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 AM

686 posts, read 399,607 times
Quote:
I don't hate snow, it's just gonna take a while to get used to anything other than pure humidity and sweat.
I was visiting home one xmas and reacclimated to the cold in 2 days.

Meanwhile, every summer in FL, I find myself tolerating it less and less.

Fingers crossed that this is our final summer in FL.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:09 AM

408 posts, read 245,086 times
OP - Serious question here - why not go back to Michigan sounds like you really love it. It is a beautiful state, especially as one goes north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or