U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 554 times

Advertisements

I'm a Portland, OR native. I've lived here all my life and never thought much about moving anywhere else until about 4 years ago. Everything seems to be getting more and more expensive, and in the past year it's been really dramatic (my friends rent is up $400 from January '16. Parents property tax went up. Grocery bill went up $60 a month for 1 person... etc.)

My Googling skills are either subpar or the type of city I'm looking for doesn't actually exist, because I can't seem to find anything that matches what I want!

I was hoping people here could help me, as during my Googling I'm often directed to the forums here! Maybe you guys would know some cities that would match what I need.

-cold Climate is important to me. I like the rain + snow. I hate anything above 80. (this seems to be my biggest problem, a lot of cities seem to be in warmer climates.)

-cheap-ish I need something with substantially lower real estate prices than Portland. I make around 35k net and have 22k saved up, but even a studio in an un-trendy neighborhood is *way* out of my reach here in Portland. I really would like to own my own place instead of splitting rent with a roomate in an apartment!

-pet-friendly My work involves dogs. Jobs are plentiful for me here in Portland since everyone loves to pamper their pooches. In a city where dogs are sparse or unwelcome, I don't make as much money.

-liberal Hi, I'm from Portland, OR.

-BIG Similar to needing a city to be pet friendly, I need it to have lots of people in order for me to have a heavy customer base. I also would just love to live in a city bigger than Portland.

Non-mandatory pluses:
Bikeability
Educated population
EV charging stations plentiful
Safe
Unpretentious (likely unrealistic in a big liberal city)
Low population of tweakers
Low income tax (of course, everything but California would seem low to this Oregonian!)
Surrounding foliage + nearby forests/hike trails/bike trails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 01:23 AM

274 posts, read 288,111 times
Minneapolis?

Old 08-31-2017, 04:44 AM

7,742 posts, read 9,040,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
Minneapolis?
I'd agree with this one.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:27 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Besides the suggestion above, perhaps Columbus OH. If you don't mind suburbs of a similarly sized or bigger metro, some of the Heights suburbs(Cleveland or Shaker) in the Cleveland metro or suburbs in the Woodward Corridor in the Detroit area like Ferndale and Royal Oak.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:36 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,109,966 times
Bigger than Portland + cheapish = doesn't exist, except maybe Philly. Minneapolis probably satisfies the most criteria, though--agreed with two prior commenters

Old 08-31-2017, 06:12 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Bigger than Portland + cheapish = doesn't exist, except maybe Philly. Minneapolis probably satisfies the most criteria, though--agreed with two prior commenters
Not sure how the "Philly is cheap theory" keeps cropping up but it's really not.

From RentJungle- "As of July 2017, average rent for an apartment in Philadelphia, PA is $1626 which is a 4.06% decrease from last year when the average rent was $1692 , and a 0.37% decrease from last month when the average rent was $1632."

In fact Philadelphia is one spot behind Portland OR for rental costs, which the OP is trying to get away from..
https://www.zumper.com/blog/2016/04/...rt-april-2016/

Old 08-31-2017, 06:13 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,389,695 times
How about the other Portland?

Old 08-31-2017, 06:30 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterwitch View Post
My Googling skills are either subpar or the type of city I'm looking for doesn't actually exist, because I can't seem to find anything that matches what I want!

I was hoping people here could help me, as during my Googling I'm often directed to the forums here! Maybe you guys would know some cities that would match what I need.

-cold Climate is important to me. I like the rain + snow. I hate anything above 80. (this seems to be my biggest problem, a lot of cities seem to be in warmer climates.)

-cheap-ish I need something with substantially lower real estate prices than Portland. I make around 35k net and have 22k saved up, but even a studio in an un-trendy neighborhood is *way* out of my reach here in Portland. I really would like to own my own place instead of splitting rent with a roommate in an apartment!

-pet-friendly My work involves dogs. Jobs are plentiful for me here in Portland since everyone loves to pamper their pooches. In a city where dogs are sparse or unwelcome, I don't make as much money.

-liberal Hi, I'm from Portland, OR.

-BIG Similar to needing a city to be pet friendly, I need it to have lots of people in order for me to have a heavy customer base. I also would just love to live in a city bigger than Portland.
In a nutshell it doesn't exist as cities larger than Portland are too warm and/or too expensive for your criteria. Though a good bit outside your population desire, you might check out Duluth MN which fulfills pretty much everything else. The median home price is 152K, it's liberal, has cool summers with plenty of rain/snow year round and is quite dog-friendly.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...15_rect/10_zm/

Old 08-31-2017, 07:27 AM

4,247 posts, read 2,517,507 times
Minneapolis seems like the obvious answer here.

Perhaps Buffalo? Rochester, NY? Cleveland, OH? Madison, WI? Burlington, VT (I know it's way smaller). Boston (expensive).

Old 08-31-2017, 08:50 AM

101 posts, read 54,226 times
How about Portland... ME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or