U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are the friendliest? (Vote for up to five)
Austin 23 39.66%
Houston 18 31.03%
Louisville, KY 15 25.86%
Cincinnati 3 5.17%
Indianapolis 5 8.62%
St. Louis 15 25.86%
Denver 14 24.14%
Nashville 21 36.21%
San Antonio 20 34.48%
Fort Worth 16 27.59%
Atlanta 16 27.59%
Charlotte 19 32.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:39 PM

23,628 posts, read 33,408,180 times

Advertisements

You may want to pass on Charlotte. Many DC/Northern Virginian folks are moving there and from personal experience, if anyone can rival Metro NYC for unfriendly residents on the east coast it is DC/Northern Virginian folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 09:54 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,949,634 times
I voted Fort Worth, this is probably the friendliest city I've ever been to.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 AM

395 posts, read 1,220,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I've heard that St. Louis is similar to Louisville. Actually both are named after French Kinds named Louis (not the same king, though). St. Louis is generally a little warmer than Chicago and you can get a decent 1 BR apartment/house in St. Louis usually for $600-$700/month. St. Louis doesn't have as much to do as Chicago, but St. Louis is a good city in its own right.

I went to rural western Kentucky for a wedding. It was nice, though kind of remote (although this area is too).
St. Louis is a LOT warmer than chicago.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,017,126 times
Apparently people don't think Cincinnati is that friendly. Not that I've heard that before, and not that I'd blame them. This is one poll folks are getting right.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:17 AM

2,073 posts, read 4,949,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
St. Louis is a LOT warmer than chicago.
I agree, I used to go to Saint Louis about every weekend when I lived closer - including during the winter. The winters in St. Louis are extremely mild compared to Chicago and other cities in the North. Not to mention Spring hits them about 2/3 weeks earlier.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,041,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
You may want to pass on Charlotte. Many DC/Northern Virginian folks are moving there and from personal experience, if anyone can rival Metro NYC for unfriendly residents on the east coast it is DC/Northern Virginian folks.
How long did you live in NYC?

Old 04-05-2008, 08:16 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,224,113 times
Hmmm...apparently, people don't think Cincinnati is that friendly. I did go to the Northern Kentucky area yesterday. Maybe yesterday seemed quite depressing b/c of the dreary weather, who knows. Anywho, when I lived there five years ago, I remember that it was a fairly friendly place. Now, it's more of a mixed bag. I didn't think Florence, in particular, was a very friendly town at all--not rude, just that the folks are rather sour and expressionless. The service at the restaurant I ate at there was nothing to brag about, either. Oh yeah, I called up to NKY last week to inquire about a job, and the particular employer's rep was, to put it nicely, brash and arrogant. I guess enough "sour folks" have moved to NKY to, well, "sour" the place, and word has it that they're mostly moving over there from Cincy and Dayton.

I'll go back up there once more next week, as I am "re-scoping" the area to find new "singles-friendly" places to live. If it has changed as much as I think it has, then I will rule out the Cincinnati-N. Kentucky metro area...which would be sad , since I've ruled out and generally have a feeling of "bleech, I why would anybody live here for life?" with practically every place I've lived and visited in my native Kentucky.

Anywho, I've about ruled out Indy, St. Louis, and Denver. The "middle America" types of places aren't for me at all, the more I look into them.

So, I'll stick with the Southern and Texan cities, particularly the latter genre, as those are what I was considering in the first place. The more I think about it, I guess Kentucky is more of a "Southern lite" state and isn't Southern enough for me in terms of culture, hospitality, weather, and now educational and career aspirations...I can't wait to leave Kentucky! I am a friendly, outgoing individual and want to be around people in a place and culture that fosters that.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:31 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,224,113 times
Hmmm, so far, the cities with the highest votes are:

(1) Austin: 19
(2) San Antonio: 15
(3) Nashville: 14
(4) Houston: 13
(5) Ft. Worth, Atlanta, Charlotte, St. Louis: 11 each

Oh well, I've ruled out Louisville, Cincy (almost), Indy, and Denver anyway, so it's interesting that people have placed these four cities in last places for "friendliness."

Old 04-05-2008, 08:41 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,084,153 times
Don't rule out Cincy just because the respondents to this Poll have not shared the similar experiences there as you. I've visited Cincy on numerous occasions including a two month stint and I don't believe I ever ran into more than one or two rude people. One was some militant newspaper reporter for the now defunct Cincy Post but he was clearly an exception to the rule. If I was still looking at living in a medium sized metro area instead of a small city or rural area then Cincy would be very much in the running, humidity and all.

I too am in the process or researching communities to relocate to with my friend/business partner and his wife. While I trust what I hear from others to some degree and then also the stat's that I might dig up on each community, ultimately I will simply trust that little man inside my head to make the call.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,017,126 times
just some background...the cincy post was a great paper. a lot of now-bigshots got going at the post. all we have now is that bar stall left called the enquirer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.