U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are the friendliest? (Vote for up to five)
Austin 23 39.66%
Houston 18 31.03%
Louisville, KY 15 25.86%
Cincinnati 3 5.17%
Indianapolis 5 8.62%
St. Louis 15 25.86%
Denver 14 24.14%
Nashville 21 36.21%
San Antonio 20 34.48%
Fort Worth 16 27.59%
Atlanta 16 27.59%
Charlotte 19 32.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:39 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,232,236 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Kentucky and could live in Louisville or Cincinnati and stay close to home. I don't really like the first, but love the latter.

That said, there are some other cities I'm considering to "spread my wings" when I receive my Bachelor's degree in May and have to enter the real world. The cities are: Charlotte, Nashville, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Atlanta, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Denver.

Every city I've listed here has something great to offer for young people be it cultural activities, live music, great nightlife...something. But, what means so much more to me than anything is how easy it is to make friends someplace. Sure, I know the saying "you reap what you sow," that I have to be a friend to have a friend. But, I found it much easier to make friends when I lived in Cincy than when I lived in Louisville . So, rank these cities in terms of friendliness, or at least vote for the top five friendly cities in the poll.

Muchas gracias! I look forward to starting a new chapter in my life, and as a 22-year-old, single male, now's the time to do it! (By the way, my top two prospective homes are Houston and Austin.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 07:51 PM

386 posts, read 1,537,195 times
Houston and Austin are very different.

If you're looking for a very friendly place that isn't too much unlike home, check out St. Louis. It is a lot like Louisville but, dare I say, with much more character and much more going on (after all, it is nearly double the size of Louisville).

Old 03-14-2008, 10:43 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,714,742 times
Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Denver...
Cities like Houston and Atlanta feel to big and there isn't any our of the ordinary friendliness...
Fort Worth is odd, is has a mid-small city sized feel. It is more 'friendly' then its larger more Cosmopolitan neighbor Dallas ...but the two feel different yet the same...
Dallas feels big, Fort Worth...not so much...just in my opinion...the attitude of people can really differ from city to city actually...Dallas in this sense is not much different then Atlanta or Houston.
Denver has a small-mid city sized feel to it...much like fort worth except without the huge metro...and more mountains...
Austin...I don't know, it's filled with younger people who tend to be either Ambitious or Friendly...sometimes both...a 23 year old (male or Female, ugly or attractive...seems more friendly then the 53 year old hag who has been working at the same place for 20 years...sometimes...although the service can be bad but thats not the issue)
San Antonio, as big as it is...feels very small...it is a touristy town...sort of Like Fort Worth and Denver....but it feels smaller...

Old 03-15-2008, 06:59 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,659,924 times
St. Louis is friendly, and probably pretty affordable compared to some of those cities. Texas sounds friendly as well.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:35 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,752,281 times
I'd pick St. Louis or Cincy... maybe Indianapolis. It takes a good level of tolerance to live in Texas. I lasted there for ten months, then I just couldn't take it anymore.

Last edited by northbound74; 03-15-2008 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-16-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Houston and Austin are very different.

If you're looking for a very friendly place that isn't too much unlike home, check out St. Louis. It is a lot like Louisville but, dare I say, with much more character and much more going on (after all, it is nearly double the size of Louisville).
I might have to just check St. Louis out!

Old 03-16-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Denver...
Cities like Houston and Atlanta feel to big and there isn't any our of the ordinary friendliness...
Fort Worth is odd, is has a mid-small city sized feel. It is more 'friendly' then its larger more Cosmopolitan neighbor Dallas ...but the two feel different yet the same...
Dallas feels big, Fort Worth...not so much...just in my opinion...the attitude of people can really differ from city to city actually...Dallas in this sense is not much different then Atlanta or Houston.
Denver has a small-mid city sized feel to it...much like fort worth except without the huge metro...and more mountains...
Austin...I don't know, it's filled with younger people who tend to be either Ambitious or Friendly...sometimes both...a 23 year old (male or Female, ugly or attractive...seems more friendly then the 53 year old hag who has been working at the same place for 20 years...sometimes...although the service can be bad but thats not the issue)
San Antonio, as big as it is...feels very small...it is a touristy town...sort of Like Fort Worth and Denver....but it feels smaller...
Interesting analysis.

I've also been considering Chicago, but it just gets to daggone cold up there in the winter (for some stretches, anyway,) and the cost of living is pretty high. I would pay less in state income taxes up there than I would here in Kentucky, oddly enough, but factor in additional city and county taxes levied (i.e.: Chicago and Cook County,) a high sales tax, and "decent" studios that run $1000/mo. or more, it might be more reasonable to live in a place like Houston, Austin, or Atlanta for now. In these cities, the cost of living is much more reasonable and the "urban attitude" isn't quite as in-your-face, for a lack of better words, as it would be in a place like Chicago. A good stepping stone from a small town in a small state to more "worldly" places!

I've lived in Louisville and near Cincy before and know I can handle cities with no problem. I currently live in a small town of 10,000 people, but I can get back in the hang of "metropolitan life" pretty quickly.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:46 PM

I've heard that St. Louis is similar to Louisville. Actually both are named after French Kinds named Louis (not the same king, though). St. Louis is generally a little warmer than Chicago and you can get a decent 1 BR apartment/house in St. Louis usually for $600-$700/month. St. Louis doesn't have as much to do as Chicago, but St. Louis is a good city in its own right.

I went to rural western Kentucky for a wedding. It was nice, though kind of remote (although this area is too).

Old 03-16-2008, 07:18 PM

905 posts, read 2,582,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Interesting analysis.

I've also been considering Chicago, but it just gets to daggone cold up there in the winter (for some stretches, anyway,) and the cost of living is pretty high. I would pay less in state income taxes up there than I would here in Kentucky, oddly enough, but factor in additional city and county taxes levied (i.e.: Chicago and Cook County,) a high sales tax, and "decent" studios that run $1000/mo. or more, it might be more reasonable to live in a place like Houston, Austin, or Atlanta for now. In these cities, the cost of living is much more reasonable and the "urban attitude" isn't quite as in-your-face, for a lack of better words, as it would be in a place like Chicago. A good stepping stone from a small town in a small state to more "worldly" places!

I've lived in Louisville and near Cincy before and know I can handle cities with no problem. I currently live in a small town of 10,000 people, but I can get back in the hang of "metropolitan life" pretty quickly.
Just so you know, you can get a decent studio for a whole lot less than $1000 a month in Chicago. It varies quite a bit depending on the neighborhood, but for that much you can get a very nice 1BR in a nice area. However, if you have difficulty with the cold or are unaccustomed to very large cities, Chicago may not be for you. It's also more expensive than any of the places you mentioned, though its not on the same level as NYC or SF.

I really don't know much about any of the cities you are considering, but I was struck by the friendliness of the people in St. Louis during my very brief trip there last month. It didn't seem like there was much going on, but I was there on business and didn't really have time to go anywhere. Plus, I've spent my entire life in New York and Chicago, so I may be a bit biased.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 PM

Most people I've met in St. Louis were pretty friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.