U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-02-2017, 04:12 PM
 
373 posts, read 236,229 times
Reputation: 205

Advertisements

Alright so I've done some research and I realize at this current juncture I can't afford any of my top choices for cities ( socal , Portland , Denver , Seattle .

Now I narrowed it down to Nashville and Dallas and I want to know some differences between the two .

Which city will I more likely to be able to afford to live on 19 an hour and also buy a starter home I don't want to rent I wanna own a house . I will have a second income just not right away on day 1 of relocation

I don't like high humidity summers , is Nashville really
That bad ? What are the rest of the seasons like

Which will offer me better outdoors , hiking , lakes mountains ,
Camping etc

Which one has the overall lower cost of livin

Less traffic ?

Friendlier people ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2017, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, California
460 posts, read 342,926 times
Reputation: 416
You should probably choose Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 08:48 PM
 
2,800 posts, read 1,654,296 times
Reputation: 2033
Seems like Nashville would be the better choice for you. You could probably find a cheap home in the suburbs on that salary. It also has less traffic cooler summer and more potential for hiking and camping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 09:21 AM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,097 posts, read 1,531,659 times
Reputation: 2315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Alright so I've done some research and I realize at this current juncture I can't afford any of my top choices for cities ( socal , Portland , Denver , Seattle .

Now I narrowed it down to Nashville and Dallas and I want to know some differences between the two .

Which city will I more likely to be able to afford to live on 19 an hour and also buy a starter home I don't want to rent I wanna own a house . I will have a second income just not right away on day 1 of relocation

I don't like high humidity summers , is Nashville really
That bad ? What are the rest of the seasons like

Which will offer me better outdoors , hiking , lakes mountains ,
Camping etc

Which one has the overall lower cost of livin

Less traffic ?

Friendlier people ?
Are you open to the surrounding areas of Nashville? Nashville itself is not cheap.

They both are good options. I frequently visit Fort Worth and would love to put some roots down there. Very affordable, tons of lakes as well. It's hot in the summer, traffic gets bad during commute times, but in my opinion, Texas has the nicest people I've ever met.

I lived in Nashville for a couple years, it's not a bad place. However, it is undergoing a massive "boom" right now, and is not cheap to live in actual Nashville. Summers are hot & humid, traffic is crappy during normal commute times as any major city is, but the people are definitely friendly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,569 posts, read 10,296,040 times
Reputation: 9839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seems like Nashville would be the better choice for you. You could probably find a cheap home in the suburbs on that salary. It also has less traffic cooler summer and more potential for hiking and camping.
Second this. Lived in DFW for a long time. The hiking options are flat out terrible, and the camping is only marginally better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 11:53 AM
 
373 posts, read 236,229 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Are you open to the surrounding areas of Nashville? Nashville itself is not cheap.

They both are good options. I frequently visit Fort Worth and would love to put some roots down there. Very affordable, tons of lakes as well. It's hot in the summer, traffic gets bad during commute times, but in my opinion, Texas has the nicest people I've ever met.

I lived in Nashville for a couple years, it's not a bad place. However, it is undergoing a massive "boom" right now, and is not cheap to live in actual Nashville. Summers are hot & humid, traffic is crappy during normal commute times as any major city is, but the people are definitely friendly
Yes I am more than okay with suburbs/country .

Which suburbs and towns of Nashville are affordable to live in that won't have a brutal commute time to BNA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 10:08 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,097 posts, read 1,531,659 times
Reputation: 2315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Yes I am more than okay with suburbs/country .

Which suburbs and towns of Nashville are affordable to live in that won't have a brutal commute time to BNA?
That ultimately depends on your budget. I lived in Spring Hill, TN for about a year. It's a nice area, pretty affordable, and very safe. Usually it would take about 40ish minutes to the airport, but Spring Hill is kind of the opposite way.

Areas I would recommend that I think are affordable are Spring Hill, Franklin, Madison, Mt Juliet and Murfreesboro. Franklin is the nicest out of all those places, and the priciest. Murfreesboro is very affordable, about 30 minutes from BNA, and has a decent amount of things because it's kind of a college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top