U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most faith and family centered, outdoorsy, and has the best schools and suburbs?
Atlanta, GA 18 28.57%
Denver, CO 28 44.44%
Kansas City, MO 7 11.11%
St. Louis, MO 10 15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 PM

386 posts, read 1,536,813 times

Advertisements

If you had to choose one of these cities to live, which you choose if the following criteria were the main considerations....

I've ranked these in order of importance. I've weighted the first qualifications much higher than the last few. So a church-going, family-centered town is more important than a sports-crazed, latino city. Which city would you choose given the following....

1.) Family and kid friendly. Good schools, safe neighborhoods, lots of stuff for kids to do, wholesome, family-centered, etc.

2.) Good suburbs. Classy shopping, nice homes, beautiful subdivisions, etc.

3.) Church-going population. Faith is a very important part of life and generally respected in legislation and culture.

4.) Outdoorsy. Good hiking, parks, camping, green spaces, lakes.

5.) Conservative. Politically conservative--socially and fiscally.

6.) Lots of culture. Museums, zoos, theatre, etc.

7.) Good job market (especially law jobs).

8.) Good private schools. Especially parochial schools.

9.) Four-seasons weather. Love snow and skiing, ice skating, etc.

10.) Good sports town. Especially football and baseball.

11.) Latino presence. I'm not Latino--but I love being around the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,654,698 times
Really any of those are great towns. But apparently Atlanta has boomed the past few years, so I'm not sure how the real estate market is there. Denver's great as well. Kansas City is a nice town, but I love St. Louis most.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:28 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,749,392 times
Kansas City. One exception would possibly be the outdoors part, although many suburbs, and also the city itself, has very good park systems. There are a lot of lakes in the metro. People who want beaches and mountains get a little irritated, but you have to realize that we aren't anywhere near that kind of stuff.
Another thing is that the city core is more liberal, while many suburbs are generally very conservative... typical of any large city.
Other than that, you pretty much described KC with that list.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:42 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,654,698 times
I think Missouri in general has good natural areas, so KC and STL both do also. Actually Forest Park in St. Louis is larger than Central Park in New York and it includes the free St. Louis Zoo, as well as some free museums. And to the south of it there are Tower Grove Park, Carondelet Park, Wilmore Park, and many smaller parks. And there are lakes outside the city, as well as Lake of the Ozarks if you wanted a trip for a few days.

1.) Family and kid friendly. Good schools, safe neighborhoods, lots of stuff for kids to do, wholesome, family-centered, etc.

I'll be honest, public schools inside the city are generally not good. But there are lots of different museums and the zoo, and outside the city there's a wolf sanctuary, a bird sanctuary, and Purina Farms.

The suburbs generally are nice in St. Louis, but I prefer the city myself. Still, St. Louis has nice suburbs (well I'm sure you know that).

3.) Church-going population. Faith is a very important part of life and generally respected in legislation and culture.

St. Louis has a pretty good Catholic population, though other religions are respected as well.

Plenty of parks nearby (you know that I assume)

The city's pretty liberal, as is Kansas City I think. The rest of the state tends to be conservative.

The other cities probably have these, too, but I enjoy St. Louis' museums and the zoo, most of which are free.

I would think law jobs could be had just about anywhere.

I've heard that private schools in St. Louis are generally good.

STL and KC mostly I would think fit this.

Probably any of them. St. Louis has had baseball the longest probably.

Not sure on this one.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:12 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,338,550 times
Denver. Denver meets all of your criteria and it's a haven for outdoor living.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I think Missouri in general has good natural areas, so KC and STL both do also. Actually Forest Park in St. Louis is larger than Central Park in New York and it includes the free St. Louis Zoo, as well as some free museums. And to the south of it there are Tower Grove Park, Carondelet Park, Wilmore Park, and many smaller parks. And there are lakes outside the city, as well as Lake of the Ozarks if you wanted a trip for a few days.

I'll be honest, public schools inside the city are generally not good. But there are lots of different museums and the zoo, and outside the city there's a wolf sanctuary, a bird sanctuary, and Purina Farms.

The suburbs generally are nice in St. Louis, but I prefer the city myself. Still, St. Louis has nice suburbs (well I'm sure you know that).

St. Louis has a pretty good Catholic population, though other religions are respected as well.

Plenty of parks nearby (you know that I assume)

The city's pretty liberal, as is Kansas City I think. The rest of the state tends to be conservative.

The other cities probably have these, too, but I enjoy St. Louis' museums and the zoo, most of which are free.

I would think law jobs could be had just about anywhere.

I've heard that private schools in St. Louis are generally good.

STL and KC mostly I would think fit this.

Probably any of them. St. Louis has had baseball the longest probably.

Not sure on this one.
Good round-up!

St. Louis, by far, is the country's best baseball town....

Old 03-15-2008, 10:40 AM

4,229 posts, read 15,409,235 times
Denver! I would love to be near them mountains and crystal clear lakes and streams.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Denver! I would love to be near them mountains and crystal clear lakes and streams.
Are there a lot of lakes? I guess I never noticed.....

What about the rest of the criteria...does Denver fit, in your opinion?

Old 03-15-2008, 02:20 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,589,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
If you had to choose one of these cities to live, which you choose if the following criteria were the main considerations....

I've ranked these in order of importance. I've weighted the first qualifications much higher than the last few. So a church-going, family-centered town is more important than a sports-crazed, latino city. Which city would you choose given the following....

I think surburban Atlanta would rank highest in almost all of these categories. Especially 1,2,and 3. In category 4 Denver might edge Atlanta out but there are tons spots north of atlanta for hiking, camping, fishing, etc. and most are beautiful.

Many Surburbs of Atlanta also score high on #5. I wouldn't rank Atlanta very high on 6 yet but it is better than most think and improving fast (one example a huge new symphony center being built).

All the rest are high too including Latino prescence. Except some would argue that Atlanta is not a good sports town because 1. The local pro teams haven't done very well except the Braves (and not them either lately). 2. Lots of transplants live there who don't support the local teams. 3. College sports (especially football) are probably more popular in the South than pro (fanatic college fans). Many northern transplants don't like that since pro sports rule where they're from.

Oh yeah, and you definitely won't get much snow there but seasons pretty well rounded otherwise.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Denver. Denver meets all of your criteria and it's a haven for outdoor living.
But is it conservative and church/family-oriented?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or