U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:51 AM

25,108 posts, read 23,994,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
New York, New Jersey, and North Carolina. Not so much New England which is Maine to Connecticut in my mind...the coast is more complicated there with bays, sounds, and islands. Then there's Delaware and Chesapeake bays to the south by Delaware and Maryland and Virginia. North Carolina fully confronts the sea with the Outer Banks and the protected Pamlico Sound. To the south it is marshes and islands in South Carolina and into Georgia and then there is Florida...sort of a place unto itself.
That's my answer. I grew up in PA and have visited NY many times. The family used to vacation at the Jersey shore, and I've lived in NC. If you woke me up in the middle of the night, I'd probably say NY or NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 04:24 PM

204 posts, read 163,681 times
Default Coastal New England and the Mid-Atlantic is East Coast in my mind

1st:

Maine
New Hampshire (albeit it has a tiny coastline with a river town (Portsmouth) being the only overtly East Coast town in NH)
Massachusetts (Boston is THE close second to being THE quintessential East Coast big city)
Rhode Island (especially Newport)
Connecticut
New York (Manhattan is THE quintessential East Coast big city)
New Jersey

2nd:

Pennsylvania (despite its only coastline technically being the tidewater at the mouth of the Delaware River)
Maryland (especially Baltimore and the Eastern Shore and Delmarva)
Delaware
District of Columbia

and maybe (or maybe not) the Northern Neck of Virginia and the tidewater of the Potomac on the Virginia side.

3rd:

Southeast Florida (Especially Miami and Miami Beach)
Tidewater Virginia (or the rest of Tidewater Virginia depending on if you consider the Northern Neck and/or the Potomac Tidewater)
Sea Islands and Atlantic Coastal Plain of Georgia (especially Savannah and Brunswick and Darien)
Low Country of South Carolina (especially Charleston)
Amelia Island and St. Augustine, FL
Outer and Inner Banks (or Outer Banks and High Tide) and Cape Fear regions of North Carolina

Last Place:

Anywhere in Florida North of West Palm Beach and West of or in the Everglades, excluding St. Augustine and Amelia Island
Anywhere else not listed above in SC, NC, VA, and GA

DEFINITELY NOT ON THE EAST COAST:

Vermont
West Virginia
Ohio
Indiana
Michigan
Illinois
Wisconsin
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Mississippi
Minnesota
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Iowa
Kansas
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisana
Texas
Oklahoma
Montana
Wyoming
Colorado
New Mexico
Idaho
Utah
Nevada
Arizona
California
Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Hawaii

Old 09-19-2017, 03:34 AM

Location: L'Enfant D.C. near the southern end of the megalopolis
39 posts, read 22,861 times
Sometimes meanings are implied by context, so I alternate between thinking MA-VA (Boston to Va. Beach) and all the states on the coast... usually the former applies to cities and the latter to weather (e.g. "the storm system has the potential to go up the east coast").

Old 09-19-2017, 09:56 AM

2,517 posts, read 2,282,426 times
It might be because I grew up in the DC area but I don't even particularly think of states, I think of the DC-NYC corridor. If the discussion were to progress it would go North to Boston and then anything South I just think of the term Southeast and then Florida separately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.