U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 05:53 PM

30 posts, read 22,958 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm a new member here, after being sent to this forum no matter what I look up lol. So I figured I'd make my own thread. I know what I'm asking for is a lot but I'm hoping there is the perfect place out there for me!

I'm in a wheelchair so I need mostly flat land and a place where there is a lot within walking distance. I want to live in a fun city like Los Angeles or NYC, weather like Hawaii (no snow, has to be near water/beach), the affordability of Arizona or Florida and no natural disasters like Las Vegas.

Last edited by PushPastParalysis; 09-04-2017 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 06:42 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,185,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPastParalysis View Post
Hi everyone! I'm a new member here, after being sent to this forum no matter what I look up lol. So I figured I'd make my own thread. I know what I'm asking for is a lot but I'm hoping there is the perfect place out there for me!

I'm in a wheelchair so I need mostly flat land and a place where there is a lot within walking distance. I want to live in a fun city like Los Angeles or NYC, weather like Hawaii (no snow, has to be near water), the affordability of Arizona or Florida and no natural disasters like Las Vegas.
Dallas, Texas

Old 09-04-2017, 07:06 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,462,079 times
Quote:

I'm in a wheelchair so I need mostly flat land and a place where there is a lot within walking distance. I want to live in a fun city like Los Angeles or NYC, weather like Hawaii (no snow, has to be near water/beach), the affordability of Arizona or Florida and no natural disasters like Las Vegas.
I don't think there are any cities that meet all of your criteria. Orlando might be your best bet, because it meets your climate requirements, is close enough to the beach to go there sometimes (plus there are many lakes nearby), and since it's inland, the effects of any hurricanes aren't quite as pronounced as they are along the coast.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:01 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,591,760 times
What kind of career or work do you do or wish to be involved in? Seems like you are flexible with both surburban sunbelt or urban northeast but the weather is going to make it more challenging in northeast winters. I would say Phoenix, Sacramento, Tampa, and Dallas and Boise are worth a look.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:16 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,523,328 times
Quote:

Well, you're basically wanting something that really doesn't exist, so you'll have to settle with certain parts, or keep chasing that unicorn.

Dallas/Fort Worth could be a place of interest. There's plenty to do, very flat, affordable, and lakes upon lakes for your water factor. It's gets chilly sometimes, but usually no snow.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:04 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Florida as an FYI isn't "affordable" if one looks at salary to cost of living comparisons and most of it's major cities (Miami-Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando) are ranked among the most inequitable in terms of rent to salary. If looking for someplace flat with no snow and a city where many walk/things are readily available and while still affordable, check out Savannah GA. It doesn't have a big city vibe but is a "fun city" to live in.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:45 PM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,494,437 times
ORLANDO

Disney World and other major attractions.

Flat as a pancake.

Warm to hot all year.

Close to both Gulf and Atlantic beaches.

Not too expensive.

Win, win.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:18 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
ORLANDO

Not too expensive.

Win, win.
Uh, yeah...no.

Orlando rents rising twice as fast as those elsewhere in U.S. - Orlando Sentinel
Report: Jobs in Florida cities have lowest pay in the nation - Florida Politics

Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
Florida is the flattest state in the US.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:34 PM

30 posts, read 22,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Florida as an FYI isn't "affordable" if one looks at salary to cost of living comparisons and most of it's major cities (Miami-Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando) are ranked among the most inequitable in terms of rent to salary. If looking for someplace flat with no snow and a city where many walk/things are readily available and while still affordable, check out Savannah GA. It doesn't have a big city vibe but is a "fun city" to live in.
Just looked up crime rates in Savannah and that's out...way too high. I found a great area in NJ I've looked into off and on for awhile but it's a little high in price compared to other areas and the snow is just a killer. But the location is awesome. Ugh. I will most likely either be moving alone or with a roommate so no snow or at least minimal snow was one of my main factors.....Florida makes me nervous now and idk if I can deal with so much constant heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or