U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It's called avoid all wheat and high fructose corn syrup. Weight is much easier to manage, but it takes discipline and reading lots of labels.
Not really discipline.... it's 2017, anyone with access to the internet can clearly read up on what causes weight gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 08:23 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,524,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Disagree completely.

Eat meat and you will have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and all of the problems that go with that.

The China study was not baloney. It was requested by a former emperor of China who was dying of cancer. he requested that the entire population be researched to find out how to cure cancer. The only areas in China at that time that had cancer, were the areas where they ate meat. And as they were all Chinese, genetics were not a factor.

According to the research, if meat is only 5% or less of your calories, you should be fine. But, who does that?

Plus, the studies have shown that any oil, even if it's plant based oil like olive oil or coconut oil, causes high cholesterol and heart disease.

This includes dairy, cheese, eggs.

Defend it all you want. To your death :-)
I guess considering I eat a lot of meat I'm in terrible shape then? Hmm, my doctor & body tell me otherwise.

I somehow keep competing in IM events, triathlons, CrossFit, etc...even though I eat meat. I guess I'll change everything since there is a study that says so.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:25 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,524,760 times
Did you misread what I said? I said as a state, as in government, etc... California is broke. I didn't say it was poor when it came to personal wealth.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:59 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I guess considering I eat a lot of meat I'm in terrible shape then? Hmm, my doctor & body tell me otherwise.

I somehow keep competing in IM events, triathlons, CrossFit, etc...even though I eat meat. I guess I'll change everything since there is a study that says so.
I don't know, what's your cholesterol? Blood pressure?

Do you have a study you can cite that proves that eating meat will lower cholesterol and blood pressure? Interestingly, there aren't any of those.

And any proponents of high protein, low carb diets, are all fat. Dr. Atkins died 60 pounds overweight from heart disease.

I'm glad your diet works for you. It didn't work for me.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Did you misread what I said? I said as a state, as in government, etc... California is broke. I didn't say it was poor when it came to personal wealth.
Still wrong..

Total State Debt: ranked from lowest debtor state (#1) to highest debtor state (#50) : The States Project
State Debt Ranking Percent GDP for 2017 - Charts
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...tory/95207486/

Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Not really discipline.... it's 2017, anyone with access to the internet can clearly read up on what causes weight gain.
That is true, but wheat is an added ingredient in many food products including derivatives like barley malt flour.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is true, but wheat is an added ingredient in many food products including derivatives like barley malt flour.
Agreed... wheat, processed foods, sugars etc. But this is beyond discipline, it's not hard to understand that eating carrot sticks as a snack is better for you then a bag of chips, people know and/or can easily know what causes weight gain. I think it's cultural and lack of education.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:29 PM

5,426 posts, read 2,825,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Everyone really needs to watch the documentary Forks Over Knives.

https://www.amazon.com/Forks-Over-Kn.../dp/1615190457

Watch a move from earlier years, and you can see how slim everyone was before eating so much animal products compared to starch and vegetables. I just watched an old Tom Selleck movie tonight from 1979, and it was amazing how everyone in the movie, including the extras, were all slim. Heck, even the "fat" people back then were slim compared to now. And the movie was based in Nashville.

I used to live in Nashville and it was a kind of joke about how most people who went to Opryland were morbidly obese. It wasn't always that way.

We all need to back off from so much animal meat and products, and oil even from plants. It's causing all of our health problems.
Most of the blame should be pinned on simple overeating. Too many calories for a person's activity level and age/gender.

You ever seen the 300+ pounders jamming food in themselves in Sweet Tomatoes restaurants? You know, where you can eat healthfully...if you choose to do so. Or make a glutton of yourself. I've observed way too many doing the latter there.

And how 'bout them supersweet, superfatty fake-milkshake type drinks offered in dozens of bright rainbow colors at Sonic? No meat in those, almost no protein, but tons of sugar and hydrogenated veggie fats. Oh, but the colors are so eyecatching (and fake-looking).

Old 09-07-2017, 05:11 AM

7,735 posts, read 9,027,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Couldn't be clearer that there is a huge correlation between poverty and obesity. Many poor states on the fattest list, many more affluent states on among the skinniest.
That was exactly my thoughts. Unfortunately healthy food is more expensive and if you're in survival mood you just don't want to be hungry.

I am curious though, if the attitude about food in the western states is the same as what I've encountered in Montana, I'm not surprised the obesity rate is lower. I've seen lots of people in Montana act like eating is very shameful and ration their food. I don't mean normal portion control, it's what can only be described as rationing.

For those of you giving dieting advice, the key word is moderation. Everything in moderation. Sadly that concept is mostly lost in the USA these days.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:16 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,799 times
Colorado is the least obese state but not closest to the richest state, I guess that argument is lost now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or