U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:32 PM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The reason I'd be inclined to take Rondo is because the Bulls completely collapsed after he went down after leading Boston 2-0. He has a higher basketball IQ than KL and he's clearly a far superior floor general. KL is obviously a better scorer than Rondo, but that only matters if you value scoring first and foremost in a point guard.

Nonetheless, KL is clearly a couple of notches below CP3 and Curry, and probably a full notch below a far younger John Wall as well. We need to remember that KL is 30+ and just made his first All-Star team a couple years ago in a watered down Eastern Conference. This isn't to say he isn't a good player, but the reality is that nobody would be talking about him if he played in the Western Conference. I don't think he's a better player than Damian Lillard.
This all comes down to situation, but are the Bulls winning that series even if Rondo was healthy in that same watered down Eastern Conference? Outside of his years with the Celtics with 3 other dynamic players and I guess that year in Sacramento, what has he really done? Then, how has he elevated his teams when he was the focal point? They are just different point guards. That's all...Lowry is really a combo guard in a point guard body.

I don't know if "nobody would be talking about him if he was in the Western Conference" and if he was on the Blazers, I don't see that team being any worse.

Again, while CP3 has the individual accolades, it is hard to say that his teams haven't underachieved come playoff time.

Wall is dynamic and has time. So, we'll see.

Keep in mind that the discussion became about NC producing more than the Northeast.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-11-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 04:49 PM

28,258 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This all comes down to situation, but are the Bulls winning that series even if Rondo was healthy in that same watered down Eastern Conference? Outside of his years with the Celtics with 3 other dynamic players and I guess that year in Sacramento, what has he really done? Then, how has he elevated his teams when he was the focal point? They are just different point guards. That's all...Lowry is really a combo guard in a point guard body.
Yes, they win that series with a healthy Rondo. They won 2 games on the road against Boston and then play four horrible games after that. The offense didn't look the same once Rondo went down. And Rondo has been plagued by injury for most of his post-Celtics career so it's not really all that fair to imply he hasn't done much since leaving Boston.

Quote:
I don't know if "nobody would be talking about him if he was in the Western Conference" and if he was on the Blazers, I don't see that team being any worse.
If Damian Lillard played in the Eastern Conference, he would be a perennial All-Star. He dropped 27.0 PPG and 6 dimes but can't make an All-Star roster because there are three 1st ballot HOF PGs playing in the same conference (4 if we include Harden). While Lowry's All-Star selections are deserved because he can only beat out the competition in front of him, the competition in the East is not nearly what it is in the West, and it's likely Mike Conley, Jr. would be a bigger name in the West than Lowry.

Quote:
Again, while CP3 has the individual accolades, it is hard to say that his teams haven't underachieved come playoff time.
Maybe he should come East and play against competition like the Hawks, Wizards and Pacers.

And there's no point in bringing playoff performances into the discussion seeing that Lowry had to leave a playoff game to get his emotions right.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:22 PM

1,122 posts, read 729,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Football for sure. There may be certain cities (St. Louis) where baseball is more popular, but between college and the NFL, football is the clear winner.

Soccer is popular in certain areas but it doesn't hold a candle to football or baseball.
And a big reason for the baseball popularity in St Louis is due to the dynasty of the Cardinals and the fact it's one of only two major sports teams in St Louis.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, they win that series with a healthy Rondo. They won 2 games on the road against Boston and then play four horrible games after that. The offense didn't look the same once Rondo went down. And Rondo has been plagued by injury for most of his post-Celtics career so it's not really all that fair to imply he hasn't done much since leaving Boston.

If Damian Lillard played in the Eastern Conference, he would be a perennial All-Star. He dropped 27.0 PPG and 6 dimes but can't make an All-Star roster because there are three 1st ballot HOF PGs playing in the same conference (4 if we include Harden). While Lowry's All-Star selections are deserved because he can only beat out the competition in front of him, the competition in the East is not nearly what it is in the West, and it's likely Mike Conley, Jr. would be a bigger name in the West than Lowry.

Maybe he should come East and play against competition like the Hawks, Wizards and Pacers.

And there's no point in bringing playoff performances into the discussion seeing that Lowry had to leave a playoff game to get his emotions right.
He still went farther though and besides having DeMar DeRozan, it isn't like the Raptors have a lot. He still put up career numbers and playoffs are fair game.

Lillard should be an All Star anyway, but similar to Lowry and the Raptors, besides C.J. McCallum with him, the talent drops off.

CP3 should have come East, to be honest. I feel that he needs someone else that can get their own shot close to the hoop, without him spoon feeding his big man all of the time. That has put more pressure on him to create versus having someone he can play a 2 man game with and can score, which can open him up to get some open jumpers.

With this said, I answered the question about high level NBA players from the Northeast.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:28 PM

7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
So, no love for Kyrie, Kyle or Kemba? If you look at the numbers, not much separates these players.
I'm a big Kyrie fan. He gets my respect.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:32 PM

7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
Not even Raptors fans believe they belong in the same conversation.

Is Chris Paul any better than Kyle Lowry?!!

I'd be more inclined to take Rondo over Lowry TBH.
Rondo acts like a child on the court, I'll take Lowry. Kyle Lowry is better offensively.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:01 AM

28,258 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
He still went farther though and besides having DeMar DeRozan, it isn't like the Raptors have a lot. He still put up career numbers and playoffs are fair game.
Everyone knows that going deeper into the playoffs in the Eastern Conference doesn't mean squat. It's like comparing a curriculum in physical education and astrophysics.

Quote:
Lillard should be an All Star anyway, but similar to Lowry and the Raptors, besides C.J. McCallum with him, the talent drops off.
There are only so many slots on the roster. Hard getting an All-Star selection when your competition is Steph Curry, CP3, Westbrook, and until recently Tony Parker. Lonzo Ball will soon be competing for one of those spots as well.

Quote:
CP3 should have come East, to be honest. I feel that he needs someone else that can get their own shot close to the hoop, without him spoon feeding his big man all of the time. That has put more pressure on him to create versus having someone he can play a 2 man game with and can score, which can open him up to get some open jumpers.
CP3 went to the right state but the wrong team. I felt he would have been a good fit in San Antonio and it would be worth it IMO for the Spurs to move Patty Mills to make that happen. But what's done is done.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
this thread made a wrong turn somewhere along the line

Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 AM

790 posts, read 1,051,329 times
My area, Metro Detroit, is a huge sports area. We've got major league baseball, football, basketball and hockey. Also, we are really close to two of the regions Big 10 teams (Michigan and Michigan state). So there's really something for everyone. NASCAR really isn't huge in this area. It has a following, but it's not a major deal to most people.

There are also a lot of minor league teams near by as well.

We also have a soccer team that is growing in popularity. It's only been here for 5 years.

As well as high school and little league sports.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Everyone knows that going deeper into the playoffs in the Eastern Conference doesn't mean squat. It's like comparing a curriculum in physical education and astrophysics.

There are only so many slots on the roster. Hard getting an All-Star selection when your competition is Steph Curry, CP3, Westbrook, and until recently Tony Parker. Lonzo Ball will soon be competing for one of those spots as well.

CP3 went to the right state but the wrong team. I felt he would have been a good fit in San Antonio and it would be worth it IMO for the Spurs to move Patty Mills to make that happen. But what's done is done.
I don't know if that is an appropriate comparison, but CP3's Clippers teams had a lot of talent on them as well. So, it wasn't like it was him and one other high level player.

To be honest, as guard oriented as the NBA is, they might as well add another guard if it is appropriate.

San Antonio is a good team he could have went to. I thought about going back to New Orleans or if came east, perhaps Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or