Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:36 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Major League Soccer gets higher attendance nationwide than Major League Baseball. Fact check me. Soccer is the third most popular sport in the USA after Football and Basketball. Unless you count Nascar. Than it is #4.

I think it enjoys the most popularity in the Pacific Northwest, but it is also very popular in the Southwest where many Latino people live.
Are you just making up your numbers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_...cer_attendance

In 2016, MLB drew 73 million fans. Average attendance per game: 30K

In 2016, MLS drew 7,375,000. Average attendance per game: 21K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
One of the weird things about soccer in the US is that it is clearly the fifth biggest sport in the country, but US vs Mexico in soccer is probably one of the countries biggest international sports rivalries. It is because American football and baseball don't have big international tournaments and the US was dominant in basketball for a long time. Hockey, which is the number four sport, has the other big international rivalry (US vs Russia).
I don't know about that. Maybe the Mexicans care about the outcome of the game, but the outcome of a US-Mexico soccer match is barely noticed in this country. As in, "Oh, we beat Mexico? Neat. Pass the salt, please."

Old 09-07-2017, 08:48 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,807,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I don't know about that. Maybe the Mexicans care about the outcome of the game, but the outcome of a US-Mexico soccer match is barely noticed in this country. As in, "Oh, we beat Mexico? Neat. Pass the salt, please."
There is a group of people who really hate soccer and they tend to underestimate how many people do actually follow it. Where I work (a restaurant) US vs Mexico is a big deal. We put it on our bar's TV and people watch it with interest.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
There is a group of people who really hate soccer and they tend to underestimate how many people do actually follow it. Where I work (a restaurant) US vs Mexico is a big deal.
Okay. The restaurant where you work. Look, I'm not dissing soccer. I'm just telling you that US/Mexico is not a rivalry game to the very large majority of Americans. Certainly not on the level of the Yankees/Red Sox, Auburn/Alabama, Duke/UNC, Packers/Bears, Cowboys/Redskins, and a host of others. Not even a blip on the radar screen.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,807,887 times
Quote:
Okay. The restaurant where you work. Look, I'm not dissing soccer. I'm just telling you that US/Mexico is not a rivalry game to the very large majority of Americans. Certainly not on the level of the Yankees/Red Sox, Auburn/Alabama, Duke/UNC, Packers/Bears, Cowboys/Redskins, and a host of others. Not even a blip on the radar screen.
I think it comes down to sports being a regional thing. Nobody in the upper Midwest cares about Yankees/Redsox, Auburn/Alabama or Duke/UNC. College football and basketball are not a big deal here and you couldn't pay people to watch Yankees/Redsox, most Minnesotans are sick of both of those teams or don't follow baseball. Most of my coworkers don't even know the Twins are in a pennant race, that is how much baseball is dying here.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,571 times
Baseball is regional. Football is watched by EVERYONE.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:28 AM

536 posts, read 323,033 times
I've actually read somewhere that american fans were the second most numerous after brazilian fans in 2014 world cup in Brazil . I think it is pretty impressive for a country that supposedly doesn't like the sport .

The reason for that I think is the fact that soccer is the only sport where americans can truly gather together and root for its national team playing against other nations . I think it's always more emotional for average fans than rivalries between different cities . The difference between various teams' level in soccer is much smaller than in other sports . Thats why even nations where soccer is not that popular have decent teams like the United States or Australia for example . I think also that soccer is the only sport where you can practically say that there are not lousy teams competing any more . For example Iceland , country with population of just over 300 000 people finished last European championships in top 8 , eliminating England on its way to a quarterfinal . Wales , another small and not too good team according to stats got medal in the same european championships . Luxembourg has just drawn with powerhouse , France . Thats why I think that soccer popularity will only get better in United States too , especially considering , that they have now player with a world class talent on their team . It is much more competitive than other sports on the international level .

I have also noticed , that no one is talking about boxing , my favourite sport . Has its popularity really diminished that much since the 90s ? If it has I think that is a real shame . America has always been the capital of Boxing , and if Europe (UK , Russia ) takes its place , then It will never be the same as it once was .

Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Are you just making up your numbers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_...cer_attendance

In 2016, MLB drew 73 million fans. Average attendance per game: 30K

In 2016, MLS drew 7,375,000. Average attendance per game: 21K
But MLS is not necessarily the same thing as "soccer" though, right? If the English Premiere League or La Liga played an entire season in the U.S., the attendance/TV numbers would definitely be much, much higher. MLS, though improving, is still the D-League of professional soccer.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:34 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
America has always been the capital of Boxing , and if Europe (UK , Russia ) takes its place , then It will never be the same as it once was .
That's not entirely true. Boxing started in Britain and the country has always been pretty boxing crazy. It's just their passion has grown even more intense with the success of Anthony Joshua, Kell Brook, Tyson Fury and Amir Khan in recent years. You also had fighters like Lennox Lewis, Prince Hamed and Ricky Hatton not that long ago. It's sort of the same way Brits have always been big tennis fans but became even bigger fans once Andy Murray started winning.

America has historically supplied much of the talent in boxing but the most knowledgeable and passionate fans of the sweet science have long been on the other side of the pond.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 AM

536 posts, read 323,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not entirely true. Boxing started in Britain and the country has always been pretty boxing crazy. It's just their passion has grown even more intense with the success of Anthony Joshua, Kell Brook, Tyson Fury and Amir Khan in recent years. It's sort of the same way Brits have always been big tennis fans but became even bigger fans once Andy Murray started winning.

America has historically supplied much of the talent in boxing but the most knowledgeable and passionate fans of the sweet science have long been on the other side of the pond.
Boxing started in Britian , yes but already since John Sullivan's times the best fighters were fighting in the United States . Best brittish fighters also must have fought in the United States if they wanted to be acknowledged as the real deal . Bob Fitzimmons , Lennox Lewis , Peter Jackson (although he was an australian ) all of them had to legitimate themselves on american soil . I am not saying that it is bad , that UK and Russia are now on the market . It's just that fight in Madison Square Garden has always added this extra splendor to a fight .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.