U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2017, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,056,995 times
Reputation: 3925

Advertisements

I think boxing started to die in the US when all the big fights were put on pay-per-view. I have vague memories from my early childhood in the '70s of boxing being a really big deal. Muhammad Ali was the most famous person in the US and boxing was on regular TV. Then they put one of his fights on pay-per-view and made a bunch of money, and that is the way it has been ever since so the casual fan is no longer able to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2017, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Preussen
218 posts, read 81,996 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I think boxing started to die in the US when all the big fights were put on pay-per-view. I have vague memories from my early childhood in the '70s of boxing being a really big deal. Muhammad Ali was the most famous person in the US and boxing was on regular TV. Then they put one of his fights on pay-per-view and made a bunch of money, but the casual fan hasn't been able to watch ever since.
I think that both Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali are probably the most famous athletes in the history . Being the heavyweight champion used to be the most important title in the sports . They really trashed this sport with those multiple belts and with the amount of weight divisions and massive corruption .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 AM
 
135 posts, read 94,600 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But MLS is not necessarily the same thing as "soccer" though, right? If the English Premiere League or La Liga played an entire season in the U.S., the attendance/TV numbers would definitely be much, much higher. MLS, though improving, is still the D-League of professional soccer.
You'll notice he was responding to a post that made the claim: "Major League Soccer gets higher attendance nationwide than Major League Baseball. Fact check me." That statement is false by pretty much any metric that could be found
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 10:34 AM
 
5,475 posts, read 2,308,578 times
Reputation: 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But MLS is not necessarily the same thing as "soccer" though, right? If the English Premiere League or La Liga played an entire season in the U.S., the attendance/TV numbers would definitely be much, much higher. MLS, though improving, is still the D-League of professional soccer.
But that's not what he was arguing. He was saying that MLS outdrew MLB, which numbers prove was a complete fantasy on his part. Heck, minor league baseball drew 37,345,155 last year, which is more than five times that of MLS.

Even so, the viewership for MLS plunged 8% last year, with an average viewership of 261,000. Viewership of the English Premier League dropped even further last season, plunging 17% with an average viewership of 423,000. Just to give you perspective, the viewership for the Miami Beach Bowl, the 39th ranked bowl for eyeballs, was 790,000. I mean, when almost twice as many people will tune in for Tulsa vs. Central Michigan as will the English Premier League, then you know soccer has a long, long way to go.

None of this is to slam soccer, by the way. It's just to provide perspective. People have been flogging soccer relentlessly in the United States since the 1970s, even ponying up for Pele to play for the New York Cosmos, and it still hasn't enjoyed much traction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 12:20 PM
 
9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Reputation: 5790
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Tons of polling on this. Baseball comes nowhere close to football in popularity. Baseball is in a death match for second place with basketball, which has overtaken baseball as America's second most popular sport in some polls due to its greater popularity among the Millennial generation.

Sports | Gallup Historical Trends
At least in my experience Baseball is everyone's second favorite sport. There are Hockey People, Basketball people, and Football people but most of them have baseball as #2. Especially the former 2 are pretty exclusive groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,056,995 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
At least in my experience Baseball is everyone's second favorite sport. There are Hockey People, Basketball people, and Football people but most of them have baseball as #2. Especially the former 2 are pretty exclusive groups.
I think it is because so many people grow up playing and loving baseball as kids. The attraction isn't so much the game itself, but because it is associated with happy memories of childhood. I stopped watching baseball for 25 years but came back to it last year. There is something comforting about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 12:44 PM
 
1,593 posts, read 835,022 times
Reputation: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
But that's not what he was arguing. He was saying that MLS outdrew MLB, which numbers prove was a complete fantasy on his part. Heck, minor league baseball drew 37,345,155 last year, which is more than five times that of MLS.

Even so, the viewership for MLS plunged 8% last year, with an average viewership of 261,000. Viewership of the English Premier League dropped even further last season, plunging 17% with an average viewership of 423,000. Just to give you perspective, the viewership for the Miami Beach Bowl, the 39th ranked bowl for eyeballs, was 790,000. I mean, when almost twice as many people will tune in for Tulsa vs. Central Michigan as will the English Premier League, then you know soccer has a long, long way to go.

None of this is to slam soccer, by the way. It's just to provide perspective. People have been flogging soccer relentlessly in the United States since the 1970s, even ponying up for Pele to play for the New York Cosmos, and it still hasn't enjoyed much traction.
Is that just AAA, cause otherwise there are like 120 minor league baseball teams. Maybe the Portland SeaDogs, Pawtucket Red Sox and Lowell Spinners combined get more fans than the New England Revolution with way more games. But the New England Revolution average 19,000 or 20,000 a game and the Pawsox average 6,000 per game (a 24 year low according to the Providence Journal)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 01:03 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Reputation: 30828
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
[Soccer]

I think it enjoys the most popularity in the Pacific Northwest, but it is also very popular in the Southwest where many Latino people live.
Soccer is also very popular in the lower Midwest such as St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Columbus.

Although fandom and pro leagues are lagging, it is significant that soccer is one of the highest participation club sports in the country. It used to skew very young, but clubs are getting older which would be the key to developing the talent MLS needs to draw crowds and be profitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,334 posts, read 21,906,527 times
Reputation: 33531
baseball for sure


it is America's Pastime


is often referenced in the same revered company as our mothers and apple pie


Ken Burns did a documentary on baseball, not football


George Carlin preferred baseball


baseball was invented in America, football was for the most part invented in Russia


football tends to attract murderers and child/wife abusers as participants, the biggest crime baseball players do is to steal bases


instructions on how to play baseball were sent into outer space by US Scientist on the Voyager spacecraft

Last edited by Ghengis; 09-07-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Preussen
218 posts, read 81,996 times
Reputation: 110
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/b...n-ratings.html

All right , so I found the website , that says that the viewership of the national team of the United States in the world cup did much better than NBA finals , world series or NHL play-offs . It seems that it lost only to NFL .

It seems to me that americans actually care much more about soccer during the world cups .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top