U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2017, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Preussen
220 posts, read 82,406 times
Reputation: 125

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I guess at the end of the day is this a question about the popularity of the sports themselves, or the popularity of the professional leagues?

The question was about the sports themeselves . By looking just at leagues alone , you can't make a good comparision . Look at soccer for example . MLS makes poor numbers but the interest in the United States' national team is quite big during the world cup .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2017, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,272 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Reputation: 11734
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
There are many people of various nationalities on these boards , so that wouldn't be the best way for such measurement
Yeah. I'm sure the Dutch are responsible for the massive wedge between Pro Football and everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Preussen
220 posts, read 82,406 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah. I'm sure the Dutch are responsible for the massive wedge between Pro Football and everything else.
No , I was talking generally about comparisions of different sports in such way, for example soccer , boxing , basketball , hockey . American football is obviously limited only to americans , or maybe also to few canadians .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 01:21 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,164,820 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No way. There are still more talented players in history from the Northeast plus Chicago in addition to LA than there is in the South. New York, PA, and New Jersey still have more than the South.





Sorry but the Northeast, Midwest, and California still leads by per capita.

Are we going by total number of players from these cities, or are way talking about star players from these places? I'm referring to the latter. NONE of the NBA candidates this past season were from the Northeast. The finals MVP is from the South, and the Regular season MVP is from LA. Kobe (07-08 season) was the last person from the Northeast to win the MVP.

The Goat is from the NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,272 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Reputation: 11734
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
The question was about the sports themeselves . By looking just at leagues alone , you can't make a good comparision . Look at soccer for example . MLS makes poor numbers but the interest in the United States' national team is quite big during the world cup .
I think soccer is more popular in the U.S. than NHL and NASCAR. But the most popular teams are in Europe so it's much more difficult to see the interest in the States.

There's probably more Manchester United devotion in the U.S. than there is for any NHL team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,656 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Reputation: 9591
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Are we going by total number of players from these cities, or are way talking about star players from these places? I'm referring to the latter. NONE of the NBA candidates this past season were from the Northeast. The finals MVP is from the South, and the Regular season MVP is from LA. Kobe (07-08 season) was the last person from the Northeast to win the MVP.

The Goat is from the NC
That's cherry picking and moving the goalposts. The point is, the Northeast, as well as the Midwest, have more basketball talent than the South. There are likely, in history, more stars from NYC though than Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 02:46 PM
 
21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Reputation: 19674
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think soccer is more popular in the U.S. than NHL and NASCAR. But the most popular teams are in Europe so it's much more difficult to see the interest in the States.

There's probably more Manchester United devotion in the U.S. than there is for any NHL team.

Popularity by numbers is one measurement, and then there's by revenue which face it is the root denominator most valuable. The NHL is very much supported by segmented local markets whereas soccer relies on a more "global appeal", which may help to explain the two points uncovered when The Atlantic performed some research on sports and they're varying fan bases a few years ago..

"The NHL audience is the richest of all professional sports. One-third of its viewers make more than $100k, compared to about 19 percent of the general population."

"Major League Soccer has the highest share of Hispanics by far (34 percent; second is the NBA at 12 percent) and the lowest income of any major sports audience. Nearly 40 percent of its fans make less than $40k."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Big Bayou
721 posts, read 302,204 times
Reputation: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Based on...?
based on attendance figures like I stated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Big Bayou
721 posts, read 302,204 times
Reputation: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
I can't find a single source that supports that claim. Perhaps you can provide one?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjbu.../#3db5acec78a2

According to Forbes, MLS is 3rd behind NFL and MLB. I was close enough. That actually puts MLS AHEAD of NBA according to FORBES.

"MLS is behind only NFL and MLB for average attendance"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 03:03 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,164,820 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's cherry picking and moving the goalposts. The point is, the Northeast, as well as the Midwest, have more basketball talent than the South. There are likely, in history, more stars from NYC though than Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas combined.
Sounds like you're moving the goalpost. You're saying in history, while I've been speaking about the NBA currently. Even still, no matter how you slice it, the Greatest player in the HISTORY of the NBA is from the South (North Carolina); the player that stole his moves is from the Northeast.

North Carolina alone kills NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top