Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 03:51 PM

536 posts, read 323,097 times

Advertisements

I've got two questions regarding sports in the US .

Which sport is more popular throughout the United States , baseball or american football ? These are two sports that I associate with America the most , but I never could work out , which of them is more popular there .

Do specific regions of the United States fancy different sports , or is it generally all the same throughout the whole country . For example is there an area , where soccer is the most popular sport ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 04:10 PM

591 posts, read 819,679 times
Football for sure. There may be certain cities (St. Louis) where baseball is more popular, but between college and the NFL, football is the clear winner.

Soccer is popular in certain areas but it doesn't hold a candle to football or baseball.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:12 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,236 times
American Football. More exciting, bet on more, plus the fantasy aspect.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:12 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
It varies by place. In most of the country football is #1 and baseball is #2 but in some places (like New York and St Louis) baseball is bigger. In Minnesota, where I live, hockey is bigger than baseball, but football is bigger than both.

Is soccer big in Portland? I know the Timbers have a big following and Portland lacks a football and baseball team.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:14 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Easily football.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:20 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Football is definitely king in the south. In the rest of the country it becomes a bit closer as to whether it is the biggest sport. If the Wild ever put together a stretch where they are competing for the Stanley Cup for several years in a row, I could see hockey becoming more popular than football in Minnesota, it was already popular even when we had bad teams or no team and it produces nearly 40% of the US's pro players.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:23 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
It varies by place. In most of the country football is #1 and baseball is #2 but in some places (like New York and St Louis) baseball is bigger. In Minnesota, where I live, hockey is bigger than baseball, but football is bigger than both.

Is soccer big in Portland? I know the Timbers have a big following and Portland lacks a football and baseball team.
Seattle, too, where the Sounders fans routinely fill the Seahawks' stadium.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:14 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
American Football. More exciting, bet on more, plus the fantasy aspect.
More exciting? No...

In the past decade Basketball and Basketball culture has grown to the point where it catches the attention of the youth moreso than American Football.

Safer, Diverse, AAU, Inside/Outside, Social Media Orirented, etc.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:30 PM

828 posts, read 691,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Football for sure. There may be certain cities (St. Louis) where baseball is more popular, but between college and the NFL, football is the clear winner.

Soccer is popular in certain areas but it doesn't hold a candle to football or baseball.
Major League Soccer gets higher attendance nationwide than Major League Baseball. Fact check me. Soccer is the third most popular sport in the USA after Football and Basketball. Unless you count Nascar. Than it is #4.

I think it enjoys the most popularity in the Pacific Northwest, but it is also very popular in the Southwest where many Latino people live.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:55 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Football, I believe. My friends and I live for fall season, when NFL & Pac-12 are on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.