Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 04:56 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Sounds like you're moving the goalpost. You're saying in history, while I've been speaking about the NBA currently. Even still, no matter how you slice it, the Greatest player in the HISTORY of the NBA is from the South (North Carolina); the player that stole his moves is from the Northeast.

North Carolina alone kills NYC.
Huh? My post dealt with history anyway and you are the one that started naming a historic player who no longer plays in the league.

Quote:
You're only basing this off of Michael Jordan and not only is that debatable, it's false. Especially considering Kareem Abdul Jabaar is from NYC. Saying who is the greatest is generational. Not everyone will agree with Jordan. Some will say Magic. Some will say MJ. Some will say Kareem. Some will say Wilt. Some will say Bill.

As for overall players.

New York
https://www.basketball-reference.com...ry=US&state=NY

North Carolina

https://www.basketball-reference.com...ry=US&state=NC

And I didn't even bring up Philadelphia. Basketball in the Northeast is most stronger culturally than it is in the South. Outside of North Carolina, basketball is pretty much an afterthought compared to football. By talent, the Northeast always had more than the South as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 05:02 PM

92,087 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Sounds like you're moving the goalpost. You're saying in history, while I've been speaking about the NBA currently. Even still, no matter how you slice it, the Greatest player in the HISTORY of the NBA is from the South (North Carolina); the player that stole his moves is from the Northeast.

No, considering that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is from NYC and Doctor J is from a suburb of NYC(Roosevelt), among other players.

Currently, it is different, but there are a couple of solid players from NYC in the NBA like Kemba Walker and Lance Stephenson. Tobias Harris is from Long Island. If you count NYC suburbs in NJ, then you have some other players like Kyrie Irving, J.R. Smith, Kenneth Faried and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

Don't be surprised though if things change in terms of NY ballers in the future, but they will just come from other parts of the state though.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:27 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,853,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Huh? My post dealt with history anyway and you are the one that started naming a historic player who no longer plays in the league.

You're only basing this off of Michael Jordan and not only is that debatable, it's false. Especially considering Kareem Abdul Jabaar is from NYC. Saying who is the greatest is generational. Not everyone will agree with Jordan. Some will say Magic. Some will say MJ. Some will say Kareem. Some will say Wilt. Some will say Bill.

As for overall players.

New York
https://www.basketball-reference.com...ry=US&state=NY

North Carolina

https://www.basketball-reference.com...ry=US&state=NC

And I didn't even bring up Philadelphia. Basketball in the Northeast is most stronger culturally than it is in the South. Outside of North Carolina, basketball is pretty much an afterthought compared to football. By talent, the Northeast always had more than the South as a whole.
We're having two different arguments then. The links that you posted are inaccurate, as they only show were the person was born, not where they were raised.

If we took a poll to see who the GOAT is, MJ will always win.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:10 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,578,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I have a hard time gauging it because hockey is my favorite sport. It just seems like everybody talks nonstop about the Vikings regardless of whether they are good or bad. It does seem like the Wild are gaining on them though. I work next to Augsburg College, and last spring all the students seemed to be decked out in Wild swag. If they could blow up into a dynasty like the Red Wings or the Blackhawks they would own this town.
I am with ya that the Vikings are more popular than the Wild (it's close though), but hockey as a sport is much more popular than football.

I truly believe that the only reason the Wild aren't the most popular team is because the older generation would feel like they are betraying the North Stars.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:51 PM

9,883 posts, read 5,552,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I am with ya that the Vikings are more popular than the Wild (it's close though), but hockey as a sport is much more popular than football.

I truly believe that the only reason the Wild aren't the most popular team is because the older generation would feel like they are betraying the North Stars.
They don't feel betrayed by the North Stars for leaving?

Old 09-09-2017, 08:33 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,578,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
They don't feel betrayed by the North Stars for leaving?
Oh they definitely hate Norm Green, even us too young to remember the North Stars do. But the North Starts are still a big part of hockey in Minnesota, not long ago you would see just as much North Stars gear at Wild games as you would Wild apparel.

At the end of the day Minnesota should have kept the North Stars name, it would have given the feeling of the team coming back as opposed to being replaced.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:36 AM

34,121 posts, read 18,368,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Oh they definitely hate Norm Green, even us too young to remember the North Stars do. But the North Starts are still a big part of hockey in Minnesota, not long ago you would see just as much North Stars gear at Wild games as you would Wild apparel.

At the end of the day Minnesota should have kept the North Stars name, it would have given the feeling of the team coming back as opposed to being replaced.
Agreed! I am a Flyers fan, and always liked when they played the North Stars. The Wild? Meh.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:56 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,160,103 times
football is boring. There's like 5 seconds of action then everyone resets.
I don't know why people make it sound like it's any more exciting than baseball.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:43 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
football is boring. There's like 5 seconds of action then everyone resets.
I don't know why people make it sound like it's any more exciting than baseball.
Because it is.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:44 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Basketball culture is larger in the Northeast than it is in the South, but the South and West are FAR more richer in terms of natural talent. The best and most hyped HS player in the country for the upcoming class, Zion Williamson, is from South Carolina (RJ Barrett is from Canada). Then there's LaMelo Ball, a class below Zion, from California.

Most of the top prospects for the 2018 NBA Draft are from the South. Even in the NBA, majority of the star players are from the West and South.

The Northeast has a large Basketball culture, but they don't produce much talent. I like what Jelly Fam and them boys are doing though, that's certaintly been a movement that's been making waves in the Basketball community recently.

The DMV produces more talent than the Northeast as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.