U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 04:48 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,318,123 times

Advertisements

The general sense that I get from listening to Jeff Bezos is that Amazon already has a small list of cities in mind that they want to possibly expand their footprint in. Bezos talks about how Amazon plans its annual quarters years in advance to always be a step ahead of the game.

Couple that with leaked reports that Amazon has been having internal discussions for years with regards to an HQ2. Like when they were seriously contemplating putting it in Toronto or when the executives stated their supposed preference for Boston. Then it makes you think this is all a means to make sure that they extract the best possible deal with regard to corporate welfare and incentives. The best way to get a good deal is by expanding your leverage and the best way to do that is to pit areas against one another, where cities are constantly trying to top each others' bids by upping their financial commitments. I think Bezos implemented this strategy because they have a shortlist of cities already in mind but want to push those places to giving as much as they can in corporate welfare and the best way to do that is by making the competition open field. Also making it seem like everywhere is on equal footing when in reality they are not.

For example, just because City X submits its bid for HQ2 doesn't necessarily mean that City X stands a chance in this. When you look at the technical talent, the culture of the area, the ability to attract and retain talent, institutions that foster that talent, and of course the incentives -- all those things play a major factor. There probably aren't more than 10 serious contenders for this.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,266 times
They might be going to go with Canada I think.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:22 AM

831 posts, read 932,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
If cities like New York are ruled out due to cost of living how can Toronto be a competitor? Due you know how much a single family home in Toronto costs? (Hint: it makes the Seattle area look cheap even adjusted for CAD, to say nothing of the taxes). What is it like 13% sales tax?
Yes sales taxes are higher as are certain other costs like gas, cigs, and liquor along with restaurants due to Canada's much higher minimum wage. That however does not take into account the many government benefits Canadians enjoy that Americans don't...............free healthcare with no medicare premiums at all, subsidized prescriptions, much lower college/university tuition rates, daycare subsidizes, superior health/social welfare system, and {very importantly} an excellent education system in both downtowns and suburbs. VERY VERY few Canadians send their kids to private schools even the wealthy usually don't as there is no need...........that's a huge savings for educated parents who want their kids to get a good education that is probably not optional in most inner city US cities which are plagued by violence, drugs, and very poor infrastructure and standards.

Also remember that due to slightly lower ages and the dollar "subsidy", Amazon can hire 50,000 Canadians for the same price as 35,000 Americans and with significantly lower corporate taxes to boot.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:59 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,234,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Watch from 16:30 to 20:30 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKjKCec8i6c

Jeff Bezos outlines the advantages of Amazon's urban campus in Downtown Seattle and what it means to cultivate a corporate culture in that manner. He emphasizes the necessity for employees to be able to access food and basic things within walking distance of the campus. In addition he outlines the importance of walkability and transit infrastructure and its effects on his employees. He also speaks on Seattle's outdoorsy culture being a draw for Amazon employees and some basic things they do like opening windows in offices or having nearby green-space as essentials to the workplace environment.

He was responding to why Amazon doesn't have the perks of other Silicon Valley companies that have more amenities and features at their corporate campuses for their employees. Bezos' outline reinforces what he's said in other interviews, that he takes full advantage of infrastructure that is already in place so that way he doesn't have to create it on his own. It's a cost effective strategy. He even goes as far as to say that the employees at Amazon love the food trucks near the campus and states the importance of Amazon's presence to driving up business for these establishments such as food trucks or stores in nearby areas.

Later in the video he speaks on Amazon's unique culture and how the culture reinforces itself.

Boston. Chicago. Toronto. New York. There is a slim chance that they go with a smaller place, if they go with a smaller metropolitan region, then either Denver or Austin. I wouldn't write off San Francisco either.
When you factor n COL and the fact that the city has suburban and urban transit, almost 10 million metro area, draws graduates from the entire Midwest, has a huge international airport, and is hungry for this, this has Chicago written all over it. Add that it has the former post office ready made and other sites downtown ready to be developed close to that transportation, and you are in the top tier. Global city, Central time zone one hour less than Eastern for Seattle for communication, and a history of Seattle relations with Boeing and done deal if the price is right.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:17 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Amtrak postpones search for 30th Street developer amid Amazon HQ pursuit

Old 10-02-2017, 12:13 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Philadelphia: a millennial magnet

http://www.city-data.com/forum/49695886-post184.html

Old 10-02-2017, 01:02 PM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
I do think Philadelphia has a shot; it checks off a lot of the boxes, and is located right in the middle of Boswash.
For the heck of it, I checked on Zillow listings for the Chestnut Hill neighborhood (which would seem to be an appealing place for a prospective Amazon employee); I was frankly surprised at what your money can buy you there vis a vis a comparable neighborhood in Boston, New York or Washington.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...omePageTab=buy

Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 PM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I do think Philadelphia has a shot; it checks off a lot of the boxes, and is located right in the middle of Boswash.
For the heck of it, I checked on Zillow listings for the Chestnut Hill neighborhood (which would seem to be an appealing place for a prospective Amazon employee); I was frankly surprised at what your money can buy you there vis a vis a comparable neighborhood in Boston, New York or Washington.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...omePageTab=buy
Looks like some bargains.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:06 PM

22,115 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
You've rattled off many advantages of NJ but all these are offset by the sleaze factor. NJ has had some pretty horrible politics since the time of Frank Hague. Billions in bribes will not cover up the stink emanating from the Governor's office. Somehow I don't see Bezos and company doing business with Chris Christie-- but you never know.
Yes, the poor governance of New Jersey is the largest strike against New Jersey, but aside from that Northern New Jersey is among the best fits to the RFP. No single place is absolutely perfect. Christie is term-limited and his flailing popularity means his agenda doesn't have a great chance of continuing. For the near future, Northern New Jersey can still be reasonable.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:09 PM

22,115 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I personally think Amazon would be great in a rust belt city like Detroit. It will have the influence of some other smaller metro areas in the sunbelt, But with an actual established city, and metro. I think the "gentrification" that would happen in Detroit would be nothing short of amazing.
I like the idea, too, though Detroit is really lacking when it comes to transit. The rust belt cities that have some measure of mass transit and are trying to reinvigorate their urban cores are Buffalo, Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore, and it would be fantastic if any of these got it (save for if they negotiated an extremely ridiculous incentive package).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or