U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 09:10 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,643,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverHiredCISguy30 View Post
They might be going to go with Canada I think.
I doubt it seriously.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:46 PM

5,552 posts, read 3,707,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
I posted previously the fact that Georgia and Texas are red states likely wonít affect their chances much. But, Alabama? After what Alabama chose for a Senate candidate last week. No way, Bezos makes major ties to that state with itís current political climate.

If the South is selected, itís likely a three horse race between Atlanta, Austin and Dallas.
This is "almost" exactly right! Austin and Dallas. But I am tiring of repeating this over and over. Texas perhaps had this from the beginning, but I will say it is theirs to lose, so all the others still have some (not much) hope.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:30 PM

22,154 posts, read 23,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
This is "almost" exactly right! Austin and Dallas. But I am tiring of repeating this over and over. Texas perhaps had this from the beginning, but I will say it is theirs to lose, so all the others still have some (not much) hope.
What about Georgia do you think puts Atlanta out of contention? Overall, Atlanta looks to me like a better fit for the RFP than any Texas city.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What about Georgia do you think puts Atlanta out of contention? Overall, Atlanta looks to me like a better fit for the RFP than any Texas city.
Atlanta is impressive, there is no doubt. I just don't think it is in the bulls-eye of what Amazon is looking for. (Believe me, there is more to this than what Amazon has put out there). I wish I could expand on this...

That said, Atlanta is a terrific business center. Great airport connections, generally good weather, a skilled workforce, fantastic suburban locations both in and outside the city, and generally one of the premier cities in the country. But don't think it is a perfect fit for Amazon. I could be wrong, but I think I have this pretty nailed down.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:40 PM

615 posts, read 373,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
When you factor n COL and the fact that the city has suburban and urban transit, almost 10 million metro area, draws graduates from the entire Midwest, has a huge international airport, and is hungry for this, this has Chicago written all over it. Add that it has the former post office ready made and other sites downtown ready to be developed close to that transportation, and you are in the top tier. Global city, Central time zone one hour less than Eastern for Seattle for communication, and a history of Seattle relations with Boeing and done deal if the price is right.
Many cities have those things, where Chicago falters is lack of any significant tech talent market, high property taxes, corrupt governance, and high crime - reasons why people are leaving the city.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:47 AM

5,298 posts, read 3,515,512 times
Quote:
Atlanta is impressive, there is no doubt. I just don't think it is in the bulls-eye of what Amazon is looking for. (Believe me, there is more to this than what Amazon has put out there). I wish I could expand on this...

That said, Atlanta is a terrific business center. Great airport connections, generally good weather, a skilled workforce, fantastic suburban locations both in and outside the city, and generally one of the premier cities in the country. But don't think it is a perfect fit for Amazon. I could be wrong, but I think I have this pretty nailed down.
You obviously have insider info you can't divulge.

Can you at least drop a hint? If not, I understand.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You obviously have insider info you can't divulge.

Can you at least drop a hint? If not, I understand.
Again, Atlanta is a great business center. Bezos loves certain States. Hints? Well, no not at this time, but if you explore this entire thread, you might find a few. But this thread is a great opportunity for cities to step up.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:09 AM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Quote:
Terrible weather. Sunbelt sprawl. Draconian state politics.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:24 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:

So you don't think Atlanta is a perfect fit for Amazon but Austin and Dallas are? To me, it would seem as if Atlanta has the edge on the Texas cities, probably just for its eastern location (and you could throw HRT in there as well). Georgia's state politics are also a bit more moderate than Texas's. Now Austin in particular is probably a bigger draw for the talent pool Amazon is looking for and it's currently one of the "cool kids" on the block like Seattle. If that consists of the "more than what Amazon has put out there," then I suppose I can see where this is going...

Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,239,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Terrible weather. Sunbelt sprawl. Draconian state politics.
That's debatable and of course very subjective. Chicago doesn't have ideal weather either, but I do still consider it a serious candidate. But I do agree that sunbelt sprawl and draconian state politics are definite drawbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or