U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2017, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,549 posts, read 3,693,741 times
Reputation: 4136

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
They're also building two other towers that will total another 2,000,000 sf, once of which broke ground last month and the other earlier this year. And other local expansions.
The 2nd HQ apparently will be #2 for a reason, because the Seattle expansion continues. Perhaps Amazon has come to the conclusion that a strong base is the most important factor in keeping the brand healthy. Business 101?

 
Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,982,689 times
Reputation: 3399
Spending a couple of weeks in Atlanta. It's similar to Houston and Dallas.
 
Old 10-03-2017, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
2,122 posts, read 1,306,890 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Atlanta suburb Stonecrest, GA has de-annexed 345 acres from it's city limits and named the land 'Amazon'...lol go big or go home.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...mazon-georgia/
Wow, this is actually real...

This seems a little desperate tbh
 
Old 10-03-2017, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,549 posts, read 3,693,741 times
Reputation: 4136
That is ballsy. But probably won't do much to sway Amazon. Back to basics here...look at what they want and then offer that. Pretty simple equation.
 
Old 10-03-2017, 10:57 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,368,678 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
That is ballsy. But probably won't do much to sway Amazon. Back to basics here...look at what they want and then offer that. Pretty simple equation.
Which makes me really skeptical about Texas which you seem to be so bullish on. Even Seattle is struggling to fill vacancies. Would Austin be able to command the levels of employment Amazon is looking for? How quickly could a city like Austin adapt in terms of infrastructure? What about their airport? I get that you have UT and a few other schools but is that enough or are they banking on Austin's ability to attract nationally? If so, what makes it so much more attractive than, or even as attractive as Seattle? I know I sure as hell wouldn't move to Texas (no offense Texas, just the heat, humidity, insects, and Republicans). Sure it's growing but I have doubts about how sustainable that growth is.

I just don't see how it is such a clear answer. It seems ill advised to me. A traffic-choked city that will be even more traffic-choked, and doesn't offer the same amenities as other cities for the cost to the employer and employee.

I would personally even put Denver over Austin, simply because it's so much more progressed as a city though it faces the same challenges.

Last edited by Bluefox; 10-03-2017 at 11:10 PM..
 
Old 10-03-2017, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,549 posts, read 3,693,741 times
Reputation: 4136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Which makes me really skeptical about Texas which you seem to be so bullish on. Even Seattle is struggling to fill vacancies. Would Austin be able to command the levels of employment Amazon is looking for? How quickly could a city like Austin adapt in terms of infrastructure? What about their airport? I get that you have UT and a few other schools but is that enough or are they banking on Austin's ability to attract nationally? If so, what makes it so much more attractive than, or even as attractive as Seattle? I know I sure as hell wouldn't move to Texas (no offense Texas, just the heat, humidity, and the Republicans). Sure it's growing but I have doubts about how sustainable that growth is.

I just don't see how it is such a clear answer. It seems ill advised to me.
Seattle struggling? Let me repeat this link.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...ing-footprint/

We can agree to disagree about Texas, but the facts are that Seattle is still going to be the major center for Amazon.

I think Amazon's actions speak volumes, and they are saying that Seattle is still #1 in their corporate thinking. Some might even look at these latest developments as a stepdown to this 2nd HQR's. As in perhaps not as important as we thought.
 
Old 10-03-2017, 11:14 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,368,678 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Seattle struggling? Let me repeat this link.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...ing-footprint/

We can agree to disagree about Texas, but the facts are that Seattle is still going to be the major center for Amazon.

I think Amazon's actions speak volumes, and they are saying that Seattle is still #1 in their corporate thinking. Some might even look at these latest developments as a stepdown to this 2nd HQR's. As in perhaps not as important as we thought.
Oh I don't disagree about Seattle still being the preeminent city for Amazon, but I can post your same source that says Seattle has 6,000 vacancies it's trying to fill:

Quote:
Amazon declined to comment beyond its news release, but a person familiar with the company’s plans said it currently has more than 6,000 open positions in Seattle and expects to open 2 million more square feet of office space in the city, describing the second headquarters as part of its ongoing job creation. The company employs more than 380,000 people worldwide.
https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...mpus-50k-jobs/
 
Old 10-03-2017, 11:21 PM
 
4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
Reputation: 4090
Amazon is growing at an astonishing rate in Seattle, with millions of square feet of offices under construction, and thousands of new people (net) added at the HQ per year. To continue a similar growth rate, of course they have thousands of jobs announced.

That said, it seems pretty clear that HQ2 will attract people that Seattle won't attract, and make it possible to build office space beyond what can easily be built near the existing HQ.
 
Old 10-03-2017, 11:28 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,368,678 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Amazon is growing at an astonishing rate in Seattle, with millions of square feet of offices under construction, and thousands of new people (net) added at the HQ per year. To continue a similar growth rate, of course they have thousands of jobs announced.

That said, it seems pretty clear that HQ2 will attract people that Seattle won't attract, and make it possible to build office space beyond what can easily be built near the existing HQ.
Okay but let's not ignore the elephant in the room which is that Amazon feels that it will eventually be constrained in Seattle. If it didn't see the writing on the wall in terms of its ability to expand, would it be looking elsewhere?

Wherever it goes, it wants to be able to sink into a deep talent pool. I'm not convinced that the Texas cities can deliver that, to the same extent, as the top Midwest and Northeast cities (read: Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia).
 
Old 10-03-2017, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,549 posts, read 3,693,741 times
Reputation: 4136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Okay but let's not ignore the elephant in the room which is that Amazon feels that it will eventually be constrained in Seattle. If it didn't see the writing on the wall in terms of its ability to expand, would it be looking elsewhere?

Wherever it goes, it wants to be able to sink into a deep talent pool. I'm not convinced that the Texas cities can deliver that, to the same extent, as the top Midwest and Northeast cities.

"Wherever it goes" is deceptive. Amazon is not going anywhere. I agree they want a deep talent pool, and a different geographic region would offer that, but where this mystical area is becomes the question. And perhaps what this thread is really all about.

Texas is indeed a very good answer. I have been saying this all along, and I still believe I am correct.

However, Amazon will take their time with this and it is simply brilliant what they are doing. Kind of like a wake-up call to cities to get their act together as in making their cities more business friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top