U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:39 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times

Advertisements

now am pretty sure its TX, heard from a credible source in the real estate industry that all was ploy to get more breaks (and TX was always it not sure if DFW or Austin) which makes sense though is sad that many places never really had a chance

Also not sure that TX fits a lot of the criteria like it was a smoke and mirrors all along.

Fairly elaborate and in some ways crappy to have all these places spend the resources on Santa Claus

why the transit references, no TX city has anything resembling real transit to serve a wide area, spotty lines at best

oh well, back to your regularly scheduled broadcast

Old 10-04-2017, 01:41 PM

29,900 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
now am pretty sure its TX, heard from a credible source in the real estate industry that all was ploy to get more breaks which makes sense though is sad that many places never really had a chance

Also not sure that TX fits a lot of the criteria like it was a smoke and mirrors all along.

Fairly elaborate and in some ways crappy to have all these places spend the resources on Santa Claus

why the transit references, no TX city has anything resembling real transit to serve a wide area, spotty lines at best

Well at least Dallas does have an extensive LRT system. Did your source name a city?

Old 10-04-2017, 01:43 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well at least Dallas does have an extensive LRT system. Did your source name a city?

no but suggested would be one of the two I listed

I would guess DFW as Austin seems to small and a crappy airport for direct flights

Old 10-04-2017, 01:48 PM

29,900 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
no but suggested would be one of the two I listed

I would guess DFW as Austin seems to small and a crappy airport for direct flights
I would guess DFW too. If so, landing HQ2 would absolutely solidify its status as the corporate expansion/relocation capital of America.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:59 PM

32,343 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I don't think Amazon wants a southern city as it's conservative politics and attitudes do not fit in well with the image it is trying to project. That wipes out Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, and Dallas. I also don't think they want a city in a Pacific or Mountain time-zone which wipes out Phoenix, LA, SF, Sacramento, San Diego, Las Vegas, Portland, Denver, Vancouver,Calgary, and Edmonton.
The company never said anything of the sort.

In fact, increasingly I reject the for gone conclusion that Amazon suddenly needs an East Coast HQ. Actually they dont. At all. Apple, Google, Microsoft and Facebook are all more valuable than Amazon yet they are perfectly situated with a single headquarters' location on the west coast.

Amazon's problem is not that Seattle is too far from NYC, but rather the company has apparently outgrown Seattle's ability to accomodate their future growth, which I find bizarre since they continue to expand in DT Seattle even as we speak.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:06 PM

80 posts, read 191,623 times
I'm suddenly feeling a little negative about all this. Hope I'm wrong.

When I first heard that Amazon was looking to be build an HQ2 in some "lucky" city, I thought how great it would be if it was in a city near me or in some other place with which I have some affinity. Now, I realize that it may end up being a blessing and a curse all at the same time. The city that wins the prize may end up giving away the store to make it happen. They will be changed forever, and not all for the good.

If they end up in a city center somewhere as they seem to want, then the traffic will be much worse. So, build more or better transit infrastructure, you say. That is a major expense and will need to be done sooner than later... all the while waiting for Amazon's tax incentives to expire many years later.

Schools are not usually good near city centers, so that will contribute to urban sprawl. The best area school districts will become more and more crowded... so build more schools.

Housing costs in the best and better neighborhoods will rise significantly. The original residents may be crowded out by the higher prices and higher property taxes that will result.

What used to be a "good job" will become not so good, resulting in local companies having a hard time retaining talent. Wages and salaries will likely climb... good for individuals, but bad for companies. Many companies may go out of business.

Not everyone will be able to jump on the growing tech wagon. They may be left behind. The lower cost of living area that Amazon will be attracted to will become a higher cost area, just like Seattle. This will create a greater class division.

True the local economy will probably grow to support the new residents and the new industry, but there will be growing pains. I'm not sure that I would want to deal with them if I wasn't directly benefitting from Amazon's presence. Many will not.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:17 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,320,280 times
I personally think it will be either one of Boston or Chicago, with Toronto as a true darkhorse but have also stated 7 other places that I could easily see it go to as well. So I'm open to being wrong because this competition is so huge but I expect it to at least be one of those ten places.

That being said, it could be anywhere and I could be entirely wrong. I do, however, think that Amazon already knows where it wants to go or at least a small pool of candidates that it wants to go to.

I have left two Jeff Bezos interview videos in this thread. I encouraged all to view it if they had the time. The important thing from both videos and the major takeaway was this:

1. Amazon has its line of thought prepared years in advance. They know what they will execute in any given quarter of a year a few years in advance. Bezos says that in 2017 that he's worried about the 4 quarters of 2020 and implementing that to exact execution.

2. When asked if Amazon has its succession line already planned, Bezos said that they do. He stated that every senior executive has their plan already in place and when time comes for each of them, it will be implemented, including Bezos having a person already in mind to eventually replace him as CEO as well. He stated that Amazon plans these things well ahead of time to stay ahead of the curb.

3. Amazon's open field competition for HQ2, as I've noted numerous times in this thread, is just a means to apply pressure to cities they want to be in by making competition so stiff that the run-up in incentives is to Amazon's liking. Amazon isn't the only one to do this, NBA Free Agents do the exact same thing. For instance, Blake Griffin already had in mind that he wanted to return to the Clippers, he never wanted to leave to begin with and the Clippers wanted him back as well. However, Griffin, who has a history with injuries, especially in the playoffs, didn't know if the Clippers would offer him the Super-Max Contract, so he made it publicly known that he's fielding offers from any and all other teams -- not because he was actually going to leave but by leaving that threat there that he can leave, it would pressure the Clippers into making their maximum financial commitment to him for his services. He even shortlisted Phoenix, Denver, New York, Boston, and a few other teams that he was supposed to meet. However, when he met with the Clippers first, they automatically dove right in and gave him everything he wanted and more, he immediately notified other teams that he's canceling his meeting with them and that he's decided on remaining with the Clippers.

Amazon is playing the same thing. It gives them leverage in a situation that they otherwise would of had very little of.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-04-2017 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 02:17 PM

80 posts, read 191,623 times
After reading many posts in this thread, I'm wondering if Mr. Bezos would choose a location with the intention of trying to tilt voting results toward his liking. It was mentioned that Austin or Dallas might be major contenders based on some kind of insider insight. I don't want to make this political, but Mr. Bezos does seem to have significant political interests. Do you think building a huge facility with 50,000 jobs in some place like Austin could help shift national politics to his liking?

People don't have to vote how their employer likes, but if he plans to import a significant amount of young talent from predominantly blue states to fill his ranks, there definitely could be political impact. Would it or could it tilt a vote in the state of Texas?

Before a local politician brings a giant home for dinner, he should consider the possibility of being eaten.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:22 PM

571 posts, read 842,977 times
My gut feeling it's going to be Minneapolis or Chicago.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:24 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,328,925 times
Quote:
now am pretty sure its TX, heard from a credible source in the real estate industry that all was ploy to get more breaks (and TX was always it not sure if DFW or Austin) which makes sense though is sad that many places never really had a chance

Not surprising. Bezos is a bit of an ego-maniac. He likes when people are talking about him and his company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or