U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2017, 12:40 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,003,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Aside from its institutions, what does Boston have over any other city?
If your city is not Nyc, London or Tokyo, it basically has "nothing over any other city" Boston's "institutions" are enough in my view. Not everyone can live in the big 3.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:13 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Are they going to build the campus/complex on a large raft/barge?

That would probably be their best bet!
A better bet would be making the whole new HQ ordeal into some feel-good campaign for Harvey recovery.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:49 AM

7,694 posts, read 4,551,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Why is Boston the only city that people move to because they absolutely have to, while everywhere else people move because they want to?

I understand that most people on this board like to be counter to reality to seem smarter than the general populous (see Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo are "hip and cool" despite the fact they're draining population). But I am interested to hear your explanation of why the dynamics of migration to Boston are so different than everywhere else in the developed world.
Boston is the perfectly fine city. Don’t get me wrong, but it is neither cool nor aspirational. Most cities aren’t. When we moves to Boston, our friends weren’t all “ooh Boston”. They were happy because my wife was doing a fellowship at Harvard. In my time there, I never met anyone, save for New Englanders, who moved there because they just really wanted to be in Boston.

I don’t mean to imply that Boston is especially undesirable, but there is a shortlist of aspirationalUS cities: New York, LA, San Francisco, Austin, Portland, Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, more recently DC, and to a lesser extent, Denver. Boston probably features highly on many people’s “cities I’m willing to move to” list (higher than the Pittsburghs, Clevelands and Baltimores of the world) , but not on the “cities I want to move to” list. It offers a lot, and it falls into the realm of acceptable for a lot of people.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Boston is the perfectly fine city. Don’t get me wrong, but it is neither cool nor aspirational. Most cities aren’t. When we move to Boston, our friends weren’t excited like “ooh Boston”. They were happy because my wife was doing a fellowship at Harvard. In my time there, I never met anyone, save for New Englanders, who moved there because they just really wanted to be in Boston.

I don’t mean to imply that Boston is especially undesirable, but there is a shortlist of aspirationalUS cities: New York, LA, San Francisco, Austin, Portland, New Orleans, and more recently DC, and to a lesser extent, Denver. Boston probably features highly on many people’s “cities I’m willing to move to” list (higher than the Pittsburghs, Clevelands and Baltimores of the world) , but not on the “cities I want to move to” list. It offers a lot, and it falls into the realm of acceptable for a lot of people.
People have very low standards if they aspire to live in any of those cities except for NYC and maybe LA. Basically every city in the US outside of those two are just acceptable. Fine places to live but no one should be jumping over themselves to live in Portland or Denver.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:01 AM

9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Boston is the perfectly fine city. Don’t get me wrong, but it is neither cool nor aspirational. Most cities aren’t. When we moves to Boston, our friends weren’t all “ooh Boston”. They were happy because my wife was doing a fellowship at Harvard. In my time there, I never met anyone, save for New Englanders, who moved there because they just really wanted to be in Boston.

I don’t mean to imply that Boston is especially undesirable, but there is a shortlist of aspirationalUS cities: New York, LA, San Francisco, Austin, Portland, Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, more recently DC, and to a lesser extent, Denver. Boston probably features highly on many people’s “cities I’m willing to move to” list (higher than the Pittsburghs, Clevelands and Baltimores of the world) , but not on the “cities I want to move to” list. It offers a lot, and it falls into the realm of acceptable for a lot of people.
That makes more sense, but it's still off that I've never heard anyone say that about any other city.
You never hear "people only move to Atlanta because of Emory or Coke" people seem to assume people move to people move to Atlanta because they want to live there. While lots of people make it sound like they almost moved to Boston against their will.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:20 AM

493 posts, read 253,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
People have very low standards if they aspire to live in any of those cities except for NYC and maybe LA. Basically every city in the US outside of those two are just acceptable. Fine places to live but no one should be jumping over themselves to live in Portland or Denver.
Well thankfully your opinion is just that, an opinion. For instance, Atlanta may be a sprawling sunbelt city but it does actually have a very "cool" factor. It may not have mainstream cool factor with cities such as NY, Seattle, Austin, etc., however among African Americans, and LGBT folks it does remain pretty attractive. I have had numerous people tell me they can't wait to move here. So for you to say LA and NY are the only "aspirational" cities is BS. Also the cost factor of living in an NY or LA is not realistic for most.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 6 days ago)

2,027 posts, read 1,987,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Aside from its institutions, what does Boston have over any other city?
Keytar Bear!

Quote:
Not everyone can live in the big 3.
Not everyone wants to, either.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:56 PM

114 posts, read 79,956 times
Quote:
What an ignorant statement. Not everyone wants to live in NYC or LA. As a matter of fact many people don't even care to live there. Many people DO want and aspire to live in Portland or Denver for various reasons.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:03 PM

2,666 posts, read 2,033,262 times
Quote:
NYC and LA are probably two of the last cities I would ever want to live in. Boston/Philly/Chi/Seattle are high on my list, but in the end I live where I can have gainful employment, afford a nice home, and still enjoy nice amenities. For me that is currently Pgh, but I probably have low standards.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Well thankfully your opinion is just that, an opinion. For instance, Atlanta may be a sprawling sunbelt city but it does actually have a very "cool" factor. It may not have mainstream cool factor with cities such as NY, Seattle, Austin, etc., however among African Americans, and LGBT folks it does remain pretty attractive. I have had numerous people tell me they can't wait to move here. So for you to say LA and NY are the only "aspirational" cities is BS. Also the cost factor of living in an NY or LA is not realistic for most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
What an ignorant statement. Not everyone wants to live in NYC or LA. As a matter of fact many people don't even care to live there. Many people DO want and aspire to live in Portland or Denver for various reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
NYC and LA are probably two of the last cities I would ever want to live in. Boston/Philly/Chi/Seattle are high on my list, but in the end I live where I can have gainful employment, afford a nice home, and still enjoy nice amenities. For me that is currently Pgh, but I probably have low standards.
You guys or gals should not read too much into what I said. I have lived in places other than NYC or LA (never lived in the latter) and would take many cities over them as well within the US. But when I think of the term "aspirational" I think of a place people are willing to sacrifice anything to go live in. I just dont see that anywhere else than those two.

With all that said there are many excellent places to live in the US, some even better places for certain individuals than a place like an NYC and LA. For example I had a much better life in Boston than I did in NYC. So take that for what its worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or