U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 10:00 AM

846 posts, read 1,635,790 times

Advertisements

A proposal for discussion:

Amazon headquarters: Rochester, Buffalo to submit joint application

Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 AM

32,343 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I believe the vast majority are warehouse and other non-tech jobs.
No, there's only 1 Amazon warehouse/fullfillment center in the Bay Area and that's in Newark. I couldnt even imagine an Amazon warehouse on the Peninsula. LOL.

Quote:
Sunnyvale appears to be one or two buildings, nothing major. What other than Lab 126?
Didnt we already clear this up like 20 pages ago? LOL

Speaking of Lab126, it's is responsible for most of the technologies Amazon is known for.
Quote:
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive San Francisco Bay Area research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronic devices. We engineer devices like Fire tablets, Kindle e-readers, Amazon Fire TV, and Amazon Echo.
https://www.lab126.com/

Here are the Bay Area's Amazon office locations:

Amazon Digital Music | San Francisco, California

Alexa Internet | San Francisco, California

Goodreads | San Francisco, California

Amazon Lab126 | Sunnyvale and Cupertino, California

Alexa | Sunnyvale and Cupertino, California

A9 | Palo Alto, California

Amazon Web Services | San Francisco and Palo Alto, California

Amazon Game Studios | San Francisco and Palo Alto, California

Twitch | San Francisco, California

TenMarks | Burlingame, California

There are 914 Amazon job openings here and nearly all are engineering, development or managemeny.

https://www.amazon.jobs/location/san...-area-ca&cache

That apparently 'mystery' Santa Cruz office isnt even mentioned. It appears Amazon has 100 engineers working on something with UC Santa Cruz.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 AM

Ouch.

Quote:
This must hurt. Seattle just heard something from an Amazon executive, Jeff Wilke, that it has always secretly feared: Some people do not want to live here. The city is not all that it thinks it is. It's fine for some, but not for others. This is why Amazon is opening a second HQ, claimed the executive at the Geekwire Summit on October 11. Seattle, which is often named "the most livable city in the US" in magazines found the pockets of airline seats, only attracts certain types. And Amazon has more than enough of those types. It hopes to "find another location that allows [it] to recruit a different collection of employees."
What Amazon Really Means When It Tells Seattle That Not Everyone Wants to Live Here - Slog - The Stranger

Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
How is that different from any other city?

I live in Houston. Some people love it here and others hate it. Some want to move here and some would never want to live here.

Thats any city including your beloved San Francisco. I would never live there. You love it.

To each their own...

Old 10-12-2017, 11:05 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post

I live in Houston. Some people love it here and others hate it. Some want to move here and some would never want to live here.

Thats any city including your beloved San Francisco. I would never live there. You love it.

To each their own...

very true!

Old 10-12-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post

To each their own...
Right this is all obscenely obvious, but this is a headquarters we're supposed to be talking about isnt it? If I wanted to be at the heart of a company's nerve center, I wouldnt care where it was.

Why do they care more about people they dont even employ yet and deny billions in investment the from the city/region that's been their home for years.

Why cant Amazon function with 1 headquarters? Chevron has a huge skyscraper in downtown Houston but the headquarters remains in the Bay Area. Lots of companies have huge concentrations of workers around the world but can function with 1 HQ

And why the rude, unnecessary comment against Seattle?

Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 PM

760 posts, read 588,391 times
Interesting:
Here’s a breakdown of some of Amazon’s biggest technology and research offices outside of Seattle

Atlanta - "Atlanta has not been shy about it's plans to ring metro Atlanta with distribution centers and create thousands of blue collar jobs". "Amazon employees 300 tech workers in Atlanta and is building multiple teams in the market".

Austin - "Amazon now roughly employs 900 tech workers houses in several floors of space in two mid-rise office buildings". "More than 100 job openings are posted online".

Boston/Cambridge - "Employs more than 700 people". "In February added another 200 workers in the WeWork coworking space in Bostons Back Bay, and that is not enough". "Amazon announced plans to open an office in Bostons Fort Point neighborhood in Spring 2018, and hire 900 employees". "Boston is such a good place for us to be", Michael Touloumtzis, "Principal engineer and site lead of Amazons local offices". "Historically what we've found is each year, Amazon leaders in Seattle will kind of look at the hiring success we're having here and the talent pool, and they'll just say "I want to build a team there"".

Minneapolis - "Amazon would open a tech office with 100 employees". "Twin Cities team was building a "Uber for Trucking" app which would compete against third party logistics firms".

Pittsburgh - "The 15,000 sq ft space houses about 50 employees"

Old 10-12-2017, 01:42 PM

23,052 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Interesting:
Hereís a breakdown of some of Amazonís biggest technology and research offices outside of Seattle

Atlanta - "Atlanta has not been shy about it's plans to ring metro Atlanta with distribution centers and create thousands of blue collar jobs". "Amazon employees 300 tech workers in Atlanta and is building multiple teams in the market".

Austin - "Amazon now roughly employs 900 tech workers houses in several floors of space in two mid-rise office buildings". "More than 100 job openings are posted online".

Boston/Cambridge - "Employs more than 700 people". "In February added another 200 workers in the WeWork coworking space in Bostons Back Bay, and that is not enough". "Amazon announced plans to open an office in Bostons Fort Point neighborhood in Spring 2018, and hire 900 employees". "Boston is such a good place for us to be", Michael Touloumtzis, "Principal engineer and site lead of Amazons local offices". "Historically what we've found is each year, Amazon leaders in Seattle will kind of look at the hiring success we're having here and the talent pool, and they'll just say "I want to build a team there"".

Minneapolis - "Amazon would open a tech office with 100 employees". "Twin Cities team was building a "Uber for Trucking" app which would compete against third party logistics firms".

Pittsburgh - "The 15,000 sq ft space houses about 50 employees"
That is interesting, and exactly the kind of feedback Amazon HQ1 wants to hear.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:50 PM

222 posts, read 111,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
That is interesting, and exactly the kind of feedback Amazon HQ1 wants to hear.
That guy's a Boston homer, of course he's going to say that.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:06 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,532,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Right this is all obscenely obvious, but this is a headquarters we're supposed to be talking about isnt it? If I wanted to be at the heart of a company's nerve center, I wouldnt care where it was.

Why do they care more about people they dont even employ yet and deny billions in investment the from the city/region that's been their home for years.

Why cant Amazon function with 1 headquarters? Chevron has a huge skyscraper in downtown Houston but the headquarters remains in the Bay Area. Lots of companies have huge concentrations of workers around the world but can function with 1 HQ

And why the rude, unnecessary comment against Seattle?
I think they want large amounts of upper management on the east coast because it's work day overlaps with Europe and it would allow Amazon to solidify global connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or