Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:03 AM

760 posts, read 875,347 times

Advertisements

The other strike against Denver, and possibly even Austin, is that they want to seek a city that is not like Seattle. Their comment of "not everyone lives in the north west" was interesting. It shows that they are not having that kind of success they are looking for when relocating employees. Seattle is a liberal, outdoorsy, expensive, trendy, yuppie/hipster, "non mild weather", city. If you had to group every city in the US in say...4 different groups, Denver would be grouped in with Seattle.

It makes sense that they would want two cities with different cultures, values, lifestyle, and weather. I'm sure a city without rain/snow, or simply one in the south with year round heat, would be a good way to attract talent. Also not every Amazon employee is some liberal, techie, hipster. I'm sure there are plenty of older people with families that would like to live in more of a affordable, suburban, enviroment (Arizona, Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, etc).

So I would lay out Amazons wants/needs in three categories:

1 - Subsidies
2 - Amenities (Airport, transit, land/campus)
3 - Lifestyle (opposite of Seattle)

This leaves me with a hutch for Texas, Georgia, and North Carolina.

They also want a place that has strong STEM high school presence, which all three are recognized for.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:22 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,382,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
The other strike against Denver, and possibly even Austin, is that they want to seek a city that is not like Seattle. Their comment of "not everyone lives in the north west" was interesting. It shows that they are not having that kind of success they are looking for when relocating employees. Seattle is a liberal, outdoorsy, expensive, trendy, yuppie/hipster, "non mild weather", city. If you had to group every city in the US in say...4 different groups, Denver would be grouped in with Seattle.

It makes sense that they would want two cities with different cultures, values, lifestyle, and weather. I'm sure a city without rain/snow, or simply one in the south with year round heat, would be a good way to attract talent. Also not every Amazon employee is some liberal, techie, hipster. I'm sure there are plenty of older people with families that would like to live in more of a affordable, suburban, enviroment (Arizona, Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, etc).

1 - Subsidies

They also want a place that has strong STEM high school presence, which all three are recognized for.

Who Knows, maybe they want a similar culture, value, lifstyle

Old 10-16-2017, 10:36 AM

23,319 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:

1 - Subsidies

That's an interesting (and, I think, valid) take on things, MN. You could indeed infer from the highlighted statement that they want to go in a different direction with HQ2 in terms of culture and lifestyle.
Or it could be just another tease.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:19 AM

While it is nothing really confirmed, this statement is causing me to lean away from cities that are like Seattle:

Quote:
“Not everybody wants to live in the Northwest,” said Wilke during an onstage interview. “It’s been terrific for me and my family, but I think we may find another location that allows us to recruit a different collection of employees

Old 10-16-2017, 11:23 AM

273 posts, read 204,955 times
Quote:

1 - Subsidies

Or he just meant it in the literal sense--geographically, not culturally. Obviously Amazon has contributed to whatever cultural standards we apply to Seattle, so, given its overall success, why would they want to deviate from that?

Old 10-16-2017, 11:24 AM

13,689 posts, read 15,599,663 times
Here are the four sites D.C. is pitching for Amazon HQ2

Old 10-16-2017, 12:37 PM

8,765 posts, read 6,686,458 times
The "opposite of Seattle" idea sounds very plausible. But I can imagine different types that fit that bill:
--Sunbelt urban core
--Northeast/Midwest urban core
--Suburban of either
--Toronto

Chicago would allow enormous growth without a ton of hurdles and without raising local prices very much.

Toronto would aid in foreign recruitment, already a huge factor in HQ1.

A Dallas type city has cheap land and would roll out the red carpet.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 PM

Well this is convenient timing
Seattle leaders look to push ‘refresh’ button with Amazon

Was it all a game? A plot for a new Amazon Original series?

Old 10-16-2017, 07:23 PM

8,765 posts, read 6,686,458 times
Some people in Seattle want to make things easier for Amazon. Others, like a city council proposal last week, want to establish a special tax on large employers.

Meanwhile we've been piling on fees for anything they or anyone else want to build. They're in the tens of millions for any major new building, with a big jump if they hadn't filed for a land use permit at a certain point.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,749,127 times
I would hope the Seattle City Council will get their heads back in the game and realize that establishing a special tax on large employers is counter-productive, and is one of the reasons Amazon is looking for other options. Just plain stupidity, and why Boeing lost HQ to Chicago, though the State was also involved in that one.. I would hope these folks take a serious look at what they are voting for. But then my hope has nothing to do with their potentially damaging actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.